Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: More Sheep

More Sheep

Not sure about this photo.

I think it was the most hopeful of the bunch but the conditions weren't ideal and the only available lens was wrong, Sigma 150-500. 1/200; F11; ISO 44; zoom at 160 mm handheld.

More Sheep

I've done what I can with editing. One layer for the sky and another for the sheep/foreground but I still think it needed a better day and getting closer with a smaller lens.

Anybody got any words of comfort!

Sheep Muggers blocking the path

More Sheep

'You don't go down this path unless you've got a pocketful of sheep nuts for me and my boys'

Well, would you try to push past them or choose another path?

Canon 40D with Sigma 180 macro lens. 1/125; F14; ISO 200 on tripod. Still not my ideal choice of lenses but this photo turned out better than I expected. When I take a smaller lens with me, all I see is distant wildlife or insects.

Perhaps I need an assistant to carry half the gear!
    Last edited by Geoff F; 30th May 2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: can't get link to work

Re: More Sheep

Geoff, I think the sky spoils it. I did an edit and cropped right down to the hedge because the bright sky was eye-catching so it took your attention from the sheep. I also increased the contrast a little as it looked a bit flat in the mid-tones. It's quite a good shot, I think.

More Sheep

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Geoff, I think you have caught them in a very un-sheepish moment. Four of them look quite blissed out and make me wonder just what they'd been eating in that paddock. A nice study.
    I think the crop makes a stronger image too.

Thanks for that suggestion. I had experimented with various cropping ideas which mostly meant reducing the number of visible sheep; but I didn't consider using a 'non standard' crop ratio.

That view certainly concentrates on the main area of interest.

On another photo, I did try a crop which left only 2 sheep in the scene but included the fence and sky.More Sheep

I think this just about works even with a dull sky.

One of the troubles with sheep, and other wildlife, is that you can't position them to make a well balanced composition.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st May 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: remove them pesky extra IMG tags