Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your photography pet hates?

Re: What are your photography pet hates?

Photo bombers are a pain, especially when they walk in front of your shot.

Real Name
    randy

Chickadee's that absolutely refuse to pose!!

Real Name
    Dan

I'm with Boab:

over processed photos

badly/over-used HDR
    A lot of HDR images remind me of 'paintings' (some on velvet, if I remember) that people used to sell out of unmarked vans in the parking lot of a shopping mall near our house. Sorry, that sounds snobbish, but that's my reaction. Re overprocessed images: one reason I rarely post landscapes is that on many sites (not this one), what garners attention are images that are badly overprocessed--in particular, oversaturated. Not a realm in which I want to compete.

Re badly behaving people: I have to say that I am rarely bothered by people when I am shooting. I find that people are often considerate to the point of inconveniencing themselves. Any number of times, I have been setting up on the side of a hiking path or the like, and people will stop and wait for me. Not everyone, of course, but a surprisingly large number of people. Maybe this is because I don't do all that much photography in crowded areas, like street photography or some travel photography. Where I go, I rarely have people waving iPads or holding their hands up to take selfies.

I do get a lot of comments about equipment, often of the 'oh, that's an impressive camera' variety. I just acknowledge them and go back to work. They usually don't persist. No harm done.

That's not to say that I don't encounter people who walk in front of the camera, or start a conversation that they are unwilling to stop, or whatever. However, it just doesn't seem to happen all that often.
    Last edited by DanK; 2nd May 2015 at 01:52 PM.

Real Name
    Philip

Forum posts submitted by well-meaning people who have a good command of the English language, but who can't be bothered to check and/or correct their contributions before posting them. The result can be a reply containing spelling mistakes, typing errors, omitted words, etc., such that sometimes the content serves only to add confusion to the discussion. This sort of carelessness is particularly disrespectful to those for whom English is not their first language.

Cheers.
    Philip

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    .... get up at dawn or go out at last light,take a flask with ye, get the shot, go home for a full breakfast or a good supper and a glass of wine, feel pompous, self-satisfied and superior...
    Sorry Boab...On most of my primary photography shoots I cannot choose the time of day ... especially on our flying events or airshows. We just get to know the times we should be there and be ready...I wish I am a man on times you mentioned, before sunrise and after sunset. Being a woman, wife and mother has limitations, like stopping everything that I am do by 4pm because I have to cook dinner...by the time dinner is finished, it is too late to do any photography, the sink has to be emptied, the dishes has to be wash, then prepare for bed. Last time to be on the computer to check my email and smile at funny comments uploaded by members here. My day is done after email checking...

Real Name
    Yes

I am tolerant for most inconsiderate behaviour, but the photographer with all the kit who ignores my presence and stops in front of me to get "his" shot, taking away my chance to get the shot I wanted is the one where my tripod leg might just get in the way of his feet as he runs to his next shot.
    Last edited by loosecanon; 3rd May 2015 at 11:39 PM.

Real Name
    James Edwards

From this last week...
    1) Why are you using a flash its really sunny (I was on my knees shooting a macro of an insect)... cast a shadow over me

2) Some one shouting at their dog rather than controlling it, when it quite naturally wanted to know who I was and why I was messing around in the undergrowth. (Nice dog actually).

3) And the best ... "I like taking photographs, but I can't afford gear like yours..." (I responded I've been building it up for 50 odd years).

Oh yes, the one I've had a good few times in the past... the casual idiotic question along the lines of 'Do you do weddings? ' when I was miles from anywhere shooting wildlife or landscape!
    Last edited by James G; 2nd May 2015 at 07:04 PM.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Like Dan, ah rarely come across irritating, thoughtless folk when out; in, and around, folk in numbers. Mebbe ah'm intimidating, while not tall, ah'm broad with a couple of small scars and dents.

In Scotland we have a wonderful, one syllable word which conveys a galaxy of meaning...HO! It has many intonations and inflections.

Ho-o ...a friendly call to someone who hasn't seen you in the street.

Ho? ... a mild rebuke tae someone who's stepped in front of yer tripod. When they look round, a simple quizzical look suffices tae encourage them tae move.

HO ... used the second time if that person persists in standing in front of you.

HO! ... As ye grab them by the lapels. It rarely reaches the exclamation mark stage. A loud ho or better still a gutteral Ho is usually enough for " Sorry , I'm in yer way?" . In Dundee ...Eh! is the only answer required.

Eh (pronounced ehhh) means yes ...

Ah recommend site members learn these different uses and try them out next time they feel encroached upon...

PS ye could pretend yer a New Yorker, if ye can master that gruff, disagreeable, pained expression that they all carry like their (fake) Vuittons.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    I HATE narrow minded snobbery - almost as much as I hate pixel peeping but we won't go there or I'll explode and the wife gets annoyed as I make a mess
    At the risk of causing an explosion, I never saw the point of pixel peeping until I started birding. So often, I need to crop a megapixel or so image out of my 24 megapixel frame now that I find pixel peeping an important adjunct to the craft -- after all, once the photo has been cropped, anyone who views it will end up being a pixel-peeper, too.

Real Name
    Richard

This YouTube from Tony and Chelsea Northrup seems like it was made to post on this string. Chelsea does a great job...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODIUaPooKGw

Real Name
    John

Interesting thread but in the words of the old Readers Digest "that's life"!

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    I am tolerant for most inconsiderate behaviour, but the photographer with all the kit it ignores my presence and stops in front of me to get "his" shot, taking away my chance to get the shot I wanted is the one where my tripod leg might just get in the way of his feet as he runs to his next shot.
    I'm expecting a lot of fierce rivalry happening at the Fisherton Street festival in Salisbury on bank holiday Monday. There's a photographic competition where the prize is £50, and a chance for the winning photo to be displayed at the library. Photo fisti-cuffs will start flying...

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseTopp View Post
    I'm expecting a lot of fierce rivalry happening at the Fisherton Street festival in Salisbury on bank holiday Monday. There's a photographic competition where the prize is £50, and a chance for the winning photo to be displayed at the library. Photo fisti-cuffs will start flying...
    If you want to see a fracas, go to a station where there is a steam train due. I've seen fights break out amongst the assembled aficionados, particularly where a video photographer is suddenly faced with several stills photographers in his field of view just as the train is approaching. Almost more fun than the train itself.

Real Name
    Max

So many of mine covered already. But one more to add. People who post a response to a question, ostensibly to answer it, but in fact to inflate their sagging egos by including as many unnecessary, obtuse terms as they can, with the result that the response helps no one but themselves.

There is practically none of that posturing on here, but other photo fora... The perpetrator invariably has an equipment list in their sig with at least one L lens. All I can say is, overcompensating...

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I don't have the time or energy to get peeved, which explains why I didn't read the thread. Go with the flow, folks.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

My main one has been mentioned multiple times in several forms; people. I do 99.999% of my shooting alone and rarely see anyone. But even the mere presence of another human being is enough to bug me. If they talk or interact then the "bug factor" escalates massively. Reflects more on me and my use of photography as an instrument to escape and relax, plus a wide streak of intraversion, than anything else really. Fortunately I can usually indulge my quirk given my local environment and the sparsity of people.
    Last edited by tbob; 3rd May 2015 at 05:09 PM.

Real Name
    Warrick

*Over processed images.
    *Over sharpened images.
    *Selective colour (see this mainly on wedding images)
    *sunsets
    *Waterfall shots with smooth dreamy water
    *Anything taken on Railway tracks (Unless it's a train, which belong on railway tracks, people don't belong on them)
    *large horrible watermarks.
    And lastly when I'm out with my film camera..."Is that a film camera, I thought you couldn't get film any more"

Real Name
    Richard

Trevor brought to mind another peeve. I dislike traveling with non photographers on a trip during which I desire to shoot. I like to take my time when shooting which irks them and in-turn they irk me!

Quote Originally Posted by tao2 View Post
    PS ye could pretend yer a New Yorker, if ye can master that gruff, disagreeable, pained expression that they all carry like their (fake) Vuittons.
    Painting with a broad brush aren't ye? Ye have no idea how friendly and charming ah can be

Real Name
    Dave Smith

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    How many megapixels is that?
    I did a "retro" photo trip last month with my (film) view camera. Somebody (apparently impressed with the size of the camera) asked that very question... That stuff doesn't bug me anymore. I just take it as people wanting to strike up a conversation which I always enjoy anyways...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast