Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First time exhibiting prints

Real Name
    John

Re: First time exhibiting prints

Congratulations Donald and good luck with your sales. (not , I suspect, that you will need it).

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A great outlet for your talents, Donald! I imagine that it was quite a challenge trying to select which of your plethora of fine images to present. I trust that the show visitors will appreciate your art as much as we do!

Real Name
    Yes

Congratulations. I like to see prints. Sadly many good images never get past the computer screen or projector. Too many dismiss printing as too expensive. To me nothing completes image making than a fine print correctly displayed.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Congratulations. I am sure it was a tremendous hoot for you.

. . . and now the exhibition is finished - your comments on the experience, please.

Bill

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Congratulations. I am sure it was a tremendous hoot for you.

. . . and now the exhibition is finished - your comments on the experience, please.l
    What was fascinating, not only in respect of my own images, but also of the others works being exhibited, is to watch how people view artwork. Having my own work included in the exhibition focused attention on looking at how people look. I'm sure this sort of behaviour has been observed before. Indeed, there are probably some PhD theses out there on the subject. However, because it was not an exclusively photographic exhibition and the attendees were not mostly aspiring 'togs, I didn't see any pixel peepers.

Anyway, my images seemed to attract a lot of attention and praise. The plan was never to aim to sell all, or indeed any, although the organisers did ask that works be priced for sale. My main aim was to raise the profile of what I produce within my community. People who I know and who know me in this small community (which is most of them), tend to be aware that 'Donald wanders about with a camera and his pictures are meant to be okay', but they had never seen my pictures (a few may have seen some of them on social media). So, being able to put them out there and allow people to see what I do, was my main priority. The fact that they were very favourably received was nice.

Three of them did sell, plus I got an order for an un-framed print of another (I had put order forms out inviting people to order a framed; matted only; or print-only copy).

It was a great addition to the cultural and social life of our little community. And what really grabbed everyone was the extent of the artistic talent that exists within that community.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th May 2015 at 04:29 PM.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Well done you - you chose a tough place for your first exhibition in your own small community where you are known. Of course we all knew they would love them.

Real Name
    Kay

Terrific, a great event & wonderful to be part of..

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Well done, Donald!

Do you already know whether the event was successful enough that there are plans to make it an annual affair?

Congrats Donald. Going on what I have seen you post here I am not surprised that you received praise on your images. And, the sales are the icing on the cake

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Well done, Donald!

Do you already know whether the event was successful enough that there are plans to make it an annual affair?
    Yep, already people are wanting it to be an annual event and the team that organised it is meeting next week to start the planning. we need to do something about the display boards. These were borrowed froma neighbouring town and were very heavy and cumbersome. And it would be good if we could get the lighting better. But a small, rural village hall was never designed for hosting art exhibitions.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th May 2015 at 04:28 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    . . . My main aim was to raise the profile of what I produce within my community. People who I know and who know me in this small community (which is most of them), tend to be aware that 'Donald wanders about with a camera and his pictures are meant to be okay', but they had never seen my pictures (a few may have seen some of them on social media). So, being able to put them out there and allow people to see what I do, was my main priority. The fact that they were very favourably received was nice. . . It was a great addition to the cultural and social life of our little community. And what really grabbed everyone was the extent of the artistic talent that exists within that community.
    Very interesting.

I'd bet a Mars Bar that (irrespective of how your Photographs were received) - you having performed the procedure of displaying your work also has built a new level of (your) confidence in that work and will allow you to extend, experiment and explore with more confidence and focus.

The fact that your Photographs were favourably received is icing on the cake and I’d further speculate that’s one reason why you were watching how they were looking.

But (I think) the fact that genuine interest was shown in your Photographs, is just more fuel for to fire up your creative kiln with spark and vigour.

Bravo!

WW

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    I'd bet a Mars Bar that (irrespective of how your Photographs were received) - you having performed the procedure of displaying your work also has built a new level of (your) confidence in that work and will allow you to extend, experiment and explore with more confidence and focus.
    Very much so.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ahh, the power of CiC.

Another sale.

On the basis of the photo in the first post of this thread, one of the members on here contacted me to ask about the print that's on the bottom row, 2nd from the right. I am very grateful for the interest. It's now on its way to deepest England ... with lots and lots of 'bubble wrap' and tape around it!!

So, that's 4 from 8 sold, with an additional print only sale (of the top right image). Very happy with that.
    Last edited by Donald; 5th May 2015 at 04:20 PM.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Those four are your most lucky Customers.
    This first batch of sales, constitutes 'The MacKenzie First Editions'.

Real Name
    Bobo

Congratulation. Next will be the county, then the country, then the region, then the WORLD....

Real Name
    John

Based on your expectations you did more than well. Congrats on a favorable exhibit.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I would suggest that most of us here don't create to sell but...were we to see our stuff hanging
    in someone's living room...that would be an ego boost of epic proportions.

Real Name
    Richard

Congratulations, Donald, it was only a matter of time until you received your rightful applause...

I am wondering, however, if offering matted prints, rather than matted and framed prints, might be a good idea. That way, the potential customers who view your prints could decide what type of frame would best suit their decor.

Real Name
    Terri

wonderful! I'm happy to see this for you.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Okay, it's only our little village hall, but this weekend (May 2nd & 3rd) will see me exhibiting my prints for the first time ever. Up to now, public consumption of my work has been via this forum and social media. But I'm now into printing and am keen to show off some prints in public places.

So, it was all excitement this afternoon as we set things up. This is the first time we've ever done this in the village. It's all local artists who are featured.

First time exhibiting prints
    In the top left I see a photo of Clydesdale's, my grandfather drove that breed, When I had my farm I started with Percheron's sold them in foal and got a team of Belgium's. I also bred Canadian hunters but had a very soft spot for the Belgium's very steady breed. Nice to visit your website and see so many plowing horses. I like your work a lot Donald.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast