Thread: Black & White Portrait

Real Name
    Tejal

Black & White Portrait

Dear All,

I have tried to capture some portraits, which I have converted into B&W. All these are candid portraits and not staged.

C & C are welcome and kindly also suggest some catchy crop for them.

Thanks - Tejal

Black & White PortraitIMG_3681 by patel_tejal, on Flickr

Black & White PortraitIMG_8836- by patel_tejal, on Flickr

Black & White PortraitIMG_3653-Recovered-Recovered by patel_tejal, on Flickr

Re: Black & White Portrait

Interesting high contrast shots where you have managed to keep the highlights bright but sufficiently under control to prevent over exposure.

A pity about the blurred bow hand in #2 but otherwise excellent.

A square crop might work for #1 but he is looking towards the left so I wouldn't want to crop too tight.

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Tejal - While I like the poses of the people you've photographed, I'm not that wild about how the images have come out, and I find the crops need work (which I think you feel might be the case as well). In general, there should be a bit of space for the subject to look into, but not too much.

I find all of these images a bit soft and in need of sharpening.

#1 I find the image is too dark and there is space above and to the left that do not contributed to the shot. I know that some photographers like like the horizontal (landscape) format for portraits (Peter Hurley is probably one of the best known proponants), but he tends to do his studio headshots this way, but generally is on a white background.

Here is one view of this shot cropped and lightened. I've also done a vignette.

Black & White Portrait

#2 I find the space to the left does not add to the image at all. If anything, it would have been nice to have more material to the violinist's right. The way that her hair blends into the background is not good, but not easily correctable in post either. This is why studio photographer's use hair lights. I find that a crop, bit of dodging and a vignette help the composition. Sharpening is also required.

Black & White Portrait

#3 I like the lighting in this one least of all. It is extremely contrasty and harsh. Yes the shot is dramatic, but perhaps too much so. The shadow on her arm is quite harsh too. The camera left side of the face is too harsh and the camera right side too dark for my taste. Both can be corrected for by dodging and burning and doing. I also find the contrast is to harsh and sharpening is needed. A vignette also helps a bit.

Black & White Portrait

Real Name
    Dean

Nice series, Tejal. +1 to Manfred's suggestions.

Real Name
    Richard

These three are generally my least favorite of the images you have posted.

#1: The subject's hand looks very awkward and the image left side of his forehead is sort of blown out...

#2: The focus is primarily on the subjects hand holding the violin, I like the subject's eyes in focus... I don't mind the image motion blur of the bow hand...

#3: Focus is on the subject's left arm (image right) and that arm is out of proportion (larger) very possibly due to shooting from fairly close with a wide focal length.

I think that If I started with a RAW image, that I could work with the shadows and highlights in all of these images, especially if I had access to my NIK Software... When working in contrasty lighting like this, I would probably consider Auto Exposure Bracketing. Having a Canon camera on AEB with the camera in burst mode will allow you to shoot three bracketed shots and stop each time the shutter is actuated. I am not sure that Nikons work this way. All of the Canon DSLR cameras have the three shot on AEB capability - at least all of the Canons I have shot with (D60, 10D, 350D, 30D, 40D and 7D) work this way!

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Interesting high contrast shots where you have managed to keep the highlights bright but sufficiently under control to prevent over exposure.

A pity about the blurred bow hand in #2 but otherwise excellent.

A square crop might work for #1 but he is looking towards the left so I wouldn't want to crop too tight.
    Thanks for your feedback.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice series.
    Thanks John !!

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Tejal - While I like the poses of the people you've photographed, I'm not that wild about how the images have come out, and I find the crops need work (which I think you feel might be the case as well). In general, there should be a bit of space for the subject to look into, but not too much.

I find all of these images a bit soft and in need of sharpening.

#1 I find the image is too dark and there is space above and to the left that do not contributed to the shot. I know that some photographers like like the horizontal (landscape) format for portraits (Peter Hurley is probably one of the best known proponants), but he tends to do his studio headshots this way, but generally is on a white background.

Here is one view of this shot cropped and lightened. I've also done a vignette.

Black & White Portrait

#2 I find the space to the left does not add to the image at all. If anything, it would have been nice to have more material to the violinist's right. The way that her hair blends into the background is not good, but not easily correctable in post either. This is why studio photographer's use hair lights. I find that a crop, bit of dodging and a vignette help the composition. Sharpening is also required.

Black & White Portrait

#3 I like the lighting in this one least of all. It is extremely contrasty and harsh. Yes the shot is dramatic, but perhaps too much so. The shadow on her arm is quite harsh too. The camera left side of the face is too harsh and the camera right side too dark for my taste. Both can be corrected for by dodging and burning and doing. I also find the contrast is to harsh and sharpening is needed. A vignette also helps a bit.

Black & White Portrait
    Thanks a lot Manfred !! Very important points you have highlighted. I was unable to make out what all things are missing. I will follow your suggestions and will revise my processing to make the picture look better. . Thanks once again.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN01 View Post
    Nice series, Tejal. +1 to Manfred's suggestions.
    Thanks Dean !!

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    These three are generally my least favorite of the images you have posted.

#1: The subject's hand looks very awkward and the image left side of his forehead is sort of blown out...

#2: The focus is primarily on the subjects hand holding the violin, I like the subject's eyes in focus... I don't mind the image motion blur of the bow hand...

#3: Focus is on the subject's left arm (image right) and that arm is out of proportion (larger) very possibly due to shooting from fairly close with a wide focal length.

I think that If I started with a RAW image, that I could work with the shadows and highlights in all of these images, especially if I had access to my NIK Software... When working in contrasty lighting like this, I would probably consider Auto Exposure Bracketing. Having a Canon camera on AEB with the camera in burst mode will allow you to shoot three bracketed shots and stop each time the shutter is actuated. I am not sure that Nikons work this way. All of the Canon DSLR cameras have the three shot on AEB capability - at least all of the Canons I have shot with (D60, 10D, 350D, 30D, 40D and 7D) work this way!
    Thanks Richard for your feedback. Portraits, like these, I tried for the 1st time, never tried before. I have canon 1100D, not sure whether my camera have this facility or not. I don't actually know all the applications of my camera properly. I processed them on NIK only, but I used it for the 1st time that too on these pic processing only. I will try to learn it properly.

All your suggestions are very valuable to me. I will follow them .

Thanks

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Tejal. Canon 1100D was my first camera and you can take bracketed shots with it. I think you should read the user manual of your camera , it really helps

I like Manfred's crops of #1 and #2 and I like your uncropped and dark edit of #3, it has a mood and I wouldn't touch it

Quote Originally Posted by Tejal View Post
    Thanks Richard for your feedback. Portraits, like these, I tried for the 1st time, never tried before. I have canon 1100D, not sure whether my camera have this facility or not. I don't actually know all the applications of my camera properly. I processed them on NIK only, but I used it for the 1st time that too on these pic processing only. I will try to learn it properly.

Thanks

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Tejal. Canon 1100D was my first camera and you can take bracketed shots with it. I think you should read the user manual of your camera , it really helps

I like Manfred's crops of #1 and #2 and I like your uncropped and dark edit of #3, it has a mood and I wouldn't touch it
    Hi Binnur !!! Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I will have to check it now .

Real Name
    Richard

You can take bracketed bursts with the 1100D... One thing to remember though, unless you set your camera up otherwise, when you have selected AEB and then turn toe camera off for any reason, the AEB is stopped. You need to go into the menu to learn how to set up the camera for AEB and how to select the control that will prevent the camera from cutting off the bracketing every time the camera is turned off.

By the way, setting up the camera for 1-stop AEB and combining that with a -1 stop Exposure Compensation will give you a series of shots, one of which should be great for night shots... You will have one shot at -2 stops, one shot at -1 stop and one shot at what the meter reads.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by Tejal View Post

Thanks
    I would say pretty darn good for a first time Tejal,

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    You can take bracketed bursts with the 1100D... One thing to remember though, unless you set your camera up otherwise, when you have selected AEB and then turn toe camera off for any reason, the AEB is stopped. You need to go into the menu to learn how to set up the camera for AEB and how to select the control that will prevent the camera from cutting off the bracketing every time the camera is turned off.

By the way, setting up the camera for 1-stop AEB and combining that with a -1 stop Exposure Compensation will give you a series of shots, one of which should be great for night shots... You will have one shot at -2 stops, one shot at -1 stop and one shot at what the meter reads.
    Oh that's very useful information you shared Richard !! Thanks. I will check practically now.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    I would say pretty darn good for a first time Tejal,
    Yes Mark, it is for the 1st time. thanks for your appreciation