Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marissa

Real Name
    Kristy

Marissa

Here are a some of my favorites from my sister's senior picture session on Monday. C&C would be greatly appreciated! This was my first attempt at a photo shoot where my subject would pose, so one of my main goals that evening was to work on composition, posing, communication, and "keeping it fun"... I tried to keep the technicalities as simple as possible so as to not let them interfere with the flow of the shoot. Any thoughts on PP, different crops, or composition would be especially helpful. Thanks, Kristy

1 Marissa

2 Marissa

3 Marissa

4 Marissa

5 Marissa

6 Marissa

Real Name
    Kristy

Re: Marissa

Ummm, these seem really big... Did I do something wrong in uploading them? Sorry!

Real Name
    Jim

They look great to me and you sister is a beautiful young lady.

Looks to me like you did very well with using the lights to your advantage.

Real Name
    Dean

Kristy,
    Beautiful shots of a beautiful young lady! All are well done, but 1 and 3 are my favorites.

Real Name
    John

Nice series, I like #3 the best followed by #6. I might sharpen the eyes a bit on #2 and 4.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by klpurkett View Post
    Ummm, these seem really big... Did I do something wrong in uploading them? Sorry!
    Not too big, you probably didn't downsize before uploading; but this size helps in analyzing the images.

Real Name
    Bruce

Very nice photographs.

Bruce

Real Name
    David

Beautiful shots, Kristy. Well done.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Great set! In my book, the winner is # 6!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

+1 to Kris' comment...I am not a great fan of B/W because I know nothing about it yet, but I like this shot very much...almost like it wasn't posed.

Real Name
    Kristy

Thanks for the encouraging comments Jim, Dean, John, Bruce, David, Kris, and Izzie! #6 was actually an attempt to redeem a very awful looking original... I had seriously messed up my white balance for that shot. But, I'm glad I didn't just immediately toss it out... Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice series, I like #3 the best followed by #6. I might sharpen the eyes a bit on #2 and 4.
    Thanks John. You're right, 2 and 4 are a bit soft... I will try sharpening those eyes! Just out of curiosity, would you suggest sharpening just the eye ball itself, or the surrounding eyelashes too? I've had trouble keeping it "natural" looking when I've attempted to sharpen eyes. Anyway, thanks for catching that!

Excellent captures - well taken.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Possibly not anything you can do about it but I suspect the reason that #6 appeals, not to me because of its harsh lighting, that is for a man, but it answers my concern with the rest. She has a large round face and you have done nothing to make it smaller in the first five. By positioning your light with the camera flash to give a soft balance to light just part /side of the face, else the fall of her hair to do the same .... as but not so extreme as in #6.
    I hope she is willing to give you another session to try these ideas

I'm a fat chubby guy and this is a self portrait I did back in 1953 and so I tried to make my face narrower, way back my girlfreind also round faced used the only 'make-up' available to her [ shoe polish ] to do the same which when she went home caused her Mother to warn her about photographers [ A girl had gone missing shortly before supposedly in connection with a photographer ].

edit ....Better than a photo of me this portrait shows what I mean

I make no claims to knowing much about portraiture and probably have done no more than half a dozen sessions in my life.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 23rd April 2015 at 10:14 AM.

First of all, great job! I like them all, #3 is my least favorite but still a nice composition. Your black and white shot is really appeals to me. It's a bit dark but I love the lighting and a heck of a save! Great job!

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    Possibly not anything you can do about it but I suspect the reason that #6 appeals, not to me because of its harsh lighting, that is for a man, but it answers my concern with the rest. She has a large round face and you have done nothing to make it smaller in the first five. By positioning your light with the camera flash to give a soft balance to light just part /side of the face, else the fall of her hair to do the same .... as but not so extreme as in #6.

Thanks for the feedback, John. Do you think this composition is better? I am not crazy about the shadows on her face in this shot, but perhaps it addresses the issue you brought up... Thanks for taking the time to comment! Much appreciated!

Marissa
    Last edited by Manfred M; 24th April 2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dave View Post
    First of all, great job! I like them all, #3 is my least favorite but still a nice composition. Your black and white shot is really appeals to me. It's a bit dark but I love the lighting and a heck of a save! Great job!
    Thanks, Dave! I tend to really enjoy dramatic black and whites, but sometimes I think I tend to go a little overboard... It's encouraging to hear that others also enjoy this image.

Real Name
    David

Lovely captures Kristy, your sister is a very pretty young girl, well done you!

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Kristy...following this comment from John below, go research contour make-up at the internet. It is make-up method of one of Kim Kardishan (sp?) to shape her face. Maybe your sister will benefit from this sort of methodology for when you take another photograph of her. Just a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post

I'm a fat chubby guy and this is a self portrait I did back in 1953 and so I tried to make my face narrower, way back my girlfreind also round faced used the only 'make-up' available to her [ shoe polish ] to do the same which when she went home caused her Mother to warn her about photographers [ A girl had gone missing shortly before supposedly in connection with a photographer ].

edit ....Better than a photo of me this portrait shows what I mean

I make no claims to knowing much about portraiture and probably have done no more than half a dozen sessions in my life.

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Kristy...following this comment from John below, go research contour make-up at the internet. It is make-up method of one of Kim Kardishan (sp?) to shape her face. Maybe your sister will benefit from this sort of methodology for when you take another photograph of her. Just a thought...
    This was an interesting internet search for sure. I guess I'm just old school, and probably biased. I think my sister is beautiful on the inside as a person - not just a body, so that will tend to affect how I perceive her when I look at her. I think there's a fine line between enhancing one's features vs creating a nice face that barely resembles one's true self. Just my own personal opinion. It's amazing what makeup can do, though! Thanks, Izzie, for the follow up comment!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast