Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Point2Point

Real Name
    Andy

Point2Point

This was my first outing with my new Canon 7D mk 2.
    A good day overall & I learnt a great deal about my camera.
    The Point to point races were organised by the Dartmoor & West Spooners Hunt.....
    C&C most welcome

Image 1

Point2Point

Image 2

Point2Point

Image 3

Point2Point

Image 4

Point2Point

Image 5

Point2Point

The horse and rider were fine after this spectacular fall.
    I am just miffed I did not get the horses head in!! It all happened so fast.
    Last edited by Andybazyoung; 21st April 2015 at 12:13 PM.

Re: Point2Point

Interesting perspectives you've chosen to shoot from and I think it would have worked better if the sun had stayed out a bit more. I love the horse's full extension over the jump but I think it would have been so much more artistic if the sun had cooperated as it did with the last image and would have displayed the horses muscles and frame to it's full glory. That last shot would have been the best had you framed lower. I bet you are miffed.

If the sun had been out I might had opted for some shots as they were approaching and beginning their leap over the jump. The horses probably would have displayed some strong muscular catch lights and shadows.

All in all a very interesting series and I hope you bring us more!

Real Name
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Dave View Post
    Interesting perspectives you've chosen to shoot from and I think it would have worked better if the sun had stayed out a bit more. I love the horse's full extension over the jump but I think it would have been so much more artistic if the sun had cooperated as it did with the last image and would have displayed the horses muscles and frame to it's full glory. That last shot would have been the best had you framed lower. I bet you are miffed.

If the sun had been out I might had opted for some shots as they were approaching and beginning their leap over the jump. The horses probably would have displayed some strong muscular catch lights and shadows.

All in all a very interesting series and I hope you bring us more!

Real Name
    Andy

Thank you Dave,
    I agree with you.
    The last shot was such a surprise, I was focussing on the fence & not so mobile as I was fenced in by other spectators.
    Cheers
    Andy

Real Name
    John

Nice series, were you at the end of your burst mode on #5? Would have liked to have scene the follow up image.

Real Name
    Dean

Andy,

All are nicely done! Number one seems to have the entire competition in one shot: the horse clearing the fence, others approaching and about to jump, the spectators, and the wonderful country in the background. The framing on the fifth shot, while it might be framed better, is very good. The action is stopped showing the turf flying and the jockey trying to get free of the stirrups. Good work! And as Dave said, hope to see more.

Real Name
    Andy

Hello Jon,
    No, there were still riders jumping so went straight back to them. However, the images were not sharp. You are probably right, I should have kept with the falling horse. BUT, this was my first time at the races so have learnt some...
    Thanks for your comment.
    Andy

Real Name
    Andy

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your comments &I have programmed some interesting shows for this season so yes, I too hope there will be more!!
    Regards
    Andy

Excellent captures - well taken.