Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting from railroad

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Shooting from railroad

I have traveled most of the main AMTRAK routes and rarely bother about taking photos as experience has taught me the results are unlikely to be worth bothering about .... but it is something to do to pass the time and on some of the narrow gauge [Colorado] RRs there may be open cars and 'end platform' to shoot from. But I use trains because I like them not for the photo op.
    AMTRAK windows are usually dreadful and if you open a window or door you are likely to be put off the train and the next one is the next day if you are lucky
    The most relatively smooth is the Georgetown Loop which has newly laid track post WWII and the worst probably the C&S out of Leadville .... but Narrow Gauge 3ft instead of 4'8.5" Standard is inherently rocky ... 2ft Like Cripple Creek even worse .... then I was scared stiff in a near empty winter run train on the UK Dymchurch and Romney Hythe 15 inch railway as the driver in a hurry to get to his tea-break pulled out all stops with Hurricane the loco

Then there is the difference between double deck 'western' Amtrack which just 'float' along swaying from side to side and single deck Eastern which riding over the end bogie was dreadful ... thankfully just from Washington to Charleston ... an overnight but early arrival.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 21st April 2015 at 02:51 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

That was an amazing ride. The operators apologized that because it was rush hour for traffic the MAGLEV didn't hit its top speed. The maximum on the cabin speed indicator was 301 Km per hour.

Shooting from railroad

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Let's do the math here...tickets for 6 kids and me...economically ain't feasible...maybe Disney World.
    Nah done both [ without the kids of course just the wife] trains are much better

LA -Crand Canyon, GG to LA, LA to SF, SF-Vancouver - CHI - Washington to SC and that was the first trip ... later NY-NO-Memphis-CHI-NY ... just one big trip missed, the southern crossing, which Katrina killed
    With grateful thanks to the taxpayers of the States who subsidized my trips by supporting AMTRAK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12