Thread: In to the Mist (B&W)

Real Name
    Matt

In to the Mist (B&W)

Right I'm not entirely sure this image works so looking for a bit of C&C. It was taken on top of a mountain in December, me and a friend struggled to the summit and then witnessed these two just running past like it was nobodies business! (It made us feel even worse )

Anyway...

In to the Mist (B&W)

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: In to the Mist (B&W)

I like the story, it is really weird of those two.. For the image , IMO those running bodies on the summit is unusual and they don't suit the composition. If you have other shots of the summit without them they might look better. Also, I wouldn't have known it was a summit if you hadn't said so. May be another one with a different shooting angle?May be in color?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I also like the story, partly because I have been in that same story many times and I was never one of the runners. One small detail that is always important to me: you caught the position of the nearest runner's feet in a position that seems natural rather than awkward.

It's unusual that I would disagree with everything else Binnur mentions but I do this one time. The runners are an important characteristic of the scene for me because they are heading toward the mist, which helps convey the density of the mist. The strong horizon, and especially that it is curved, conveys for me that it is a summit of some sort even if it is only the top of a hill. The strong mist conveys that it's more likely the summit of a mountain even if it isn't a huge mountain. The remains of the building also convey that it's probably a summit of some sort because lookout buildings were often built for defensive purposes on the highest point of an area to provide a greater view of the area.

Considering my two most recent posts about the blacks in your other images, I have to mention that they are very well handled in this image. Only a relatively few areas are true black and you have maintained the details very well. It's also appropriate in this scene that you have no true whites and that other than the brightest range of tones in the snow, all of the other tones are distributed relatively equally in number. Your post-processing of this image is excellent in my mind.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 19th April 2015 at 05:49 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Mike, I think you are much more familiar with such scenes than I'm . I have never been on a summit with some runners and that's why the image looked odd to me

Matt, please excuse my first comment , I didn't know that some runners preferred summits

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I also like the story, partly because I have been in that same story many times and I was never one of the runners. One small detail that is always important to me: you caught the position of the nearest runner's feet in a state that seems natural rather than awkward.

It's unusual that I would disagree with everything else Binnur mentions but I do this one time. The runners are an important characteristic of the scene because they are heading toward the mist, which helps convey the density of the mist. The strong horizon, and especially that it is curved, conveys for me that it is a summit of some sort even if it is only the top of a hill. The strong mist conveys that it's more likely the summit of a mountain even if it isn't a huge mountain. The remains of the building also convey that it's probably a summit of some sort because lookout buildings were often built for defensive purposes on the highest point of an area to provide a greater view of the area.

Considering my two most recent posts about the blacks in your other images, I have to mention that they are very well handled in this image. Only a relatively few areas are true black and you have maintained the details very well. It's also appropriate in this scene that you have no true whites and that other than the brightest range of tones in the snow, all of the other tones are distributed relatively equally in number. Your post-processing of this image is excellent in my mind.

Real Name
    John

Nice capture. I don't know if it's the conversion process or the atmosphere but this has a vintage look and it works well even with the runners.

Real Name
    Dean

Matt, I like the shot. The two figures in the mist balances the composition and draws the eye to them. Nice work.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks for the comments guys, Mike they actually discovered a bronze age burial site next to that circular structure.

The circular structure is a "walkers cairn" by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    The circular structure is a "walkers cairn" by the way.
    I understand that it could serve the purpose of a cairn today but is that why it was originally constructed?

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    I understand that it could serve the purpose of a cairn today but is that why it was originally constructed?
    As far as I know its a fairly new structure that walkers built over time themselves. (A bit of a disappointing history)

The mountain in question is this one I photographed here: Hangover Cure

Beautiful shot - so pretty too.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Can I be awkward and say that I don't think this works as well as it could if it was cropped differently.

As it it as the moment, I'm 'seeing' two distinct parts to the image: The foreground is one and the middle and background is the other. My gut feeling (and it is only that) is that the two 'bits' don't harmonise.

On the other hand, if you make a crop, either at a ration of 2.5:1 or even 2:1 using the top edge as your starting point (and not touching the left or right edges), I think it produces a much more powerful image. In other words, you crop out part of the bottom of the frame.

Now, of course, that's just one person's thoughts. And nobody might agree with them. And, most importantly, it's not my image.

Real Name
    Zen

To me, it doesn't matter whether it's a summit or not. The scene is the scene, and the mist adds a sense of mystery.

As to the other question, if you were to crop the lower one third, more or less, off the bottom, so that the upper edge of the berm at the lower left corner comes exactly to the corner, you would sort of a pathway, a leading line, into the image - with the path continuing past the cairn, around it to the right, and then exiting the scene behind it in the upper right corner. The runners appear to be on such a path through the scene. So, while it's only one person's opinion, I think I would agree with Donald's cropping suggestion.

In any case, it's your image and yours alone, and therefore yours to finish in any way you wish.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck.

Zen

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Can I be awkward and say that I don't think this works as well as it could if it was cropped differently.

As it it as the moment, I'm 'seeing' two distinct parts to the image: The foreground is one and the middle and background is the other. My gut feeling (and it is only that) is that the two 'bits' don't harmonise.

On the other hand, if you make a crop, either at a ration of 2.5:1 or even 2:1 using the top edge as your starting point (and not touching the left or right edges), I think it produces a much more powerful image. In other words, you crop out part of the bottom of the frame.

Now, of course, that's just one person's thoughts. And nobody might agree with them. And, most importantly, it's not my image.
    Thanks Donald, to be honest I did struggle with regards on how to crop the image, I've just tried to use the lytebox to make a crop of the bottom and I think it does make for a better image. I will do it properly later and post it

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    To me, it doesn't matter whether it's a summit or not. The scene is the scene, and the mist adds a sense of mystery.

As to the other question, if you were to crop the lower one third, more or less, off the bottom, so that the upper edge of the berm at the lower left corner comes exactly to the corner, you would sort of a pathway, a leading line, into the image - with the path continuing past the cairn, around it to the right, and then exiting the scene behind it in the upper right corner. The runners appear to be on such a path through the scene. So, while it's only one person's opinion, I think I would agree with Donald's cropping suggestion.

In any case, it's your image and yours alone, and therefore yours to finish in any way you wish.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck.

Zen
    Thanks for the feedback Zen, please see my above response to Donald

Real Name
    David

Rather late to this one Matt, I like it bud but agree about a crop from the bottom!

Real Name
    Matt

New crop (bit too much maybe?):

In to the Mist (B&W)

I have always liked the original presentation with no cropping needed. Seeing this revision confirms my thinking about that.

Real Name
    Greg

The original image threw me at first. I thought those rounded shapes in the foreground with the white stuff on them were rocks with waves breaking over them As you said it was a summit, I thought it might be better to crop the foreground out, too. But now that you have tried that, I have to agree with Mike, the original is better. I think you have lost too much depth with the crop.

Nice conversion, btw.

Real Name
    Matt

I think agree... maybe I'll try somewhere in between the both.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Real Name
    Griddi

Beautiful done.....I like it very much........

Griddi.......