Thread: My new lens

Real Name
    Sam Schofield

My new lens

Hi all,
    today I purchased my first lens,
    it is a Canon EF 55mm to 200mm 1:4.5 - 5.6 II usm Ultrasonic.
    has anybody had one of these or used one of these before??
    Thanks,
    Sam

Real Name
    Terry

Re: My new lens

Sam, the only experience I have with this lens is that I kicked one into the drink!

It was being borrowed by my Grand Daughter and her boyfriend from their school and we were on a shoot! We were inside a drainage tunnel where they were working on completing a light painting assignment. It was dead dark and there was some water drainage running.

They made a lens change and left the 55-200 out of their bag and on the edge of the water. I made a move in the dark and inadvertently kicked it into the water! Bummer!

So the only experience I’ve had with this lens is replacing one to the school!

But Sam?

It is huge pleasure to be the first here to congratulate you on your new acquision!

I’m hoping you have better luck with it than I had!

Looking forward to seeing it in action in your hands!

Real Name
    Richard

Re: My new lens

I have not used one but, have heard some rather nice comments.

One thing that I might mention is that despite the Image Stabilization, I would try (at least at first) to keep the shutter speed fairly high. Without IS, the general rule of thumb is to have your shutter speed a reciprocal of the focal length. Such as 1/250 second when you are at 250mm. After getting used to the lens, you can learn just how slow you can shoot and still get sharp imagery...