Thread: Street - C & C are welcome

Real Name
    Tejal

Street - C & C are welcome

The heading I have given to this Thread of Street, as I have capture this picture on a street and it is a candid one.

In the picture, a man reading news paper siting in a street of my town. It is an old city area, where the streets are very narrow and houses are quite old, may be 80-100 years old, not renovated completely.

The man in the picture has some skin skin disease. As suggested in feedback I have tried 4X5 crop as well as I have converted the picture in B&W also, which are I m posting here. I am also posting the SOOC shot also.

Kindly share your view once again.

MY ORIGINAL POST :

Street  -  C & C are welcomeIMG_3730 as Smart Object-1 by patel_tejal, on Flickr

SOOC SHOT :

Street  -  C & C are welcomeIMG_3730SOOC by patel_tejal, on Flickr

B&W VERSION :

Street  -  C & C are welcomeIMG_3730 - bnw by patel_tejal, on Flickr

4x5 CROP :

Street  -  C & C are welcomeIMG_3730 -4X5 crop by patel_tejal, on Flickr
    Last edited by Tejal; 18th April 2015 at 06:25 PM.

Real Name
    Binnur

Re: Street - C & C are welcome

Hi Tejal Your subject seems to be the man rather than the street in this shot. I would crop the green leaves in order to put the emphasis more on the man, I would also try a B&W conversion as the image seems to suit B&W too.
    Last edited by bnnrcn; 18th April 2015 at 01:52 AM.

Real Name
    John

Very grungy look; the man and the environment and I don't mean that in a negative way; the grunge look is an editing technique slowly gaining popularity. Nicely captured.

I suppose it would have been slightly better if he had been facing just a little more to the left but that isn't really a serious problem.

A crop might concentrate more on the man but there is then a risk that you lose the 'context' of the scene by not showing the door.

You could possibly try a crop to 4 x 5 ratio or maybe square but I'm not really sure about whether that would lose as much as it gains?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bnnrcn View Post
    Hi Tejal Your subjects seems to be the man rather than the street in this shot. I would crop the green leaves in order to put the emphasis more on the man, I would also try a B&W conversion as the image seems to suit B&W too.
    I noticed an extra sharpness in the leaves as well. Not sure if it needs to go or not.

Real Name
    Binnur

Tejal, if you convert to B&W, the leaves don't have to go because they don't distract

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I like this image Tejal, but not the grunge look as applied to the old man. Tone mapping can work well for buildings and other landscapes, but usually turns people into caricatures. Generally unnatural looking skin tones will tend to evoke a reaction from people, usually not a good one. I suspect this shot is tone mapped, not HDRI? I find that people over apply this technique; I don't think you need it as this image seems to strong enough by itself.

From a composition side, I would agree with Binnur, the plants on the left don't add to the composition. They add a very vibrant tone to the image and take away our focus from the rest of the shot. I agree that you need to have something in the image to provide balance to the old man with the newspaper, but the doors on the left seem to do that quite nicely by themselves.

Real Name
    Dean

Tejal,
    Very nice shot. I agree with Binnur's first comment. Keep the "street" shots coming.

Real Name
    Binnur

Manfred, I think the man in the image has psoriasis and that's why his skin tone is different

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I like this image Tejal, but not the grunge look as applied to the old man. Tone mapping can work well for buildings and other landscapes, but usually turns people into caricatures. Generally unnatural looking skin tones will tend to evoke a reaction from people, usually not a good one. I suspect this shot is tone mapped, not HDRI? I find that people over apply this technique; I don't think you need it as this image seems to strong enough by itself.

From a composition side, I would agree with Binnur, the plants on the left don't add to the composition. They add a very vibrant tone to the image and take away our focus from the rest of the shot. I agree that you need to have something in the image to provide balance to the old man with the newspaper, but the doors on the left seem to do that quite nicely by themselves.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Manfred, I think the man in the image has psoriasis and that's why his skin tone is different
    Agreed, he has definitely has a skin condition, it looks like there is a problem with his skin pigmentation (I suspect a lack of pigmentation). The dark areas are likely his "normal" skin tone and the bright areas are the "problem areas". I suspect whatever PP that Tejal applied accentuates this and makes this him look a bit strange, not his skin condition.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Tejal,

I agree with the earlier comments, especially the thought of B&W to reduce the impact of the green leaves.

There is one minor observation I will make - you seem to have shot this from a point exactly in line with the camera left edge of the step well he is sitting in, which gives an odd optical illusion of 'dis-joint' in the middle of the lower edge of the frame, almost like there's been some post processing merge of two shots, which I'm sure isn't the case, it is just an illusion.

I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed it at the time of shooting either, but if you have any captures taken a fraction to one side or other, so the left edge retains a depth to it, they may avoid this minor issue.

I'm not sure if that's helpful at this point, I raise it simply as an indication of needing to view the entire frame before clicking the shutter - something I appreciate is often not going to be possible with street photography.

Real Name
    Tejal

Hi Tejal Your subject seems to be the man rather than the street in this shot. I would crop the green leaves in order to put the emphasis more on the man, I would also try a B&W conversion as the image seems to suit B&W too.
    Thanks for your comment. I have revised my description on my picture. I hope, it is fine now . I have also posted the B&W pic also.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Very grungy look; the man and the environment and I don't mean that in a negative way; the grunge look is an editing technique slowly gaining popularity. Nicely captured.
    Thanks John. The picture was taken on 1600 ISO, as light was less. I have reduced the grains but not much considering the environment. I have posted the revised versions. Please check the same.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I suppose it would have been slightly better if he had been facing just a little more to the left but that isn't really a serious problem.

A crop might concentrate more on the man but there is then a risk that you lose the 'context' of the scene by not showing the door.

You could possibly try a crop to 4 x 5 ratio or maybe square but I'm not really sure about whether that would lose as much as it gains?
    Thanks for our feedback. I have posted the 4X5 crop and also the SOOC shot. There is an open door in the right, which I have cropped in my original post. May be that was not correct.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

Thanks Manfred for your feedback. I have not done anything to the skin tone. Though while processing it might have affected a bit. I have posted the SOOC shot also. Please have a look on it and kindly share your suggestions for my improvement.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN01 View Post
    Tejal,
    Very nice shot. I agree with Binnur's first comment. Keep the "street" shots coming.
    Thanks Dean. I have now revised the description about my picture.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tejal View Post
    Thanks John. The picture was taken on 1600 ISO, as light was less. I have reduced the grains but not much considering the environment. I have posted the revised versions. Please check the same.
    Tejal,

Nice amount of detail extracted from the original, perhaps too much for a color version; but still a worthy effort. Mono version is near perfect in displaying the scene.

Real Name
    Tejal

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Tejal,

I agree with the earlier comments, especially the thought of B&W to reduce the impact of the green leaves.

There is one minor observation I will make - you seem to have shot this from a point exactly in line with the camera left edge of the step well he is sitting in, which gives an odd optical illusion of 'dis-joint' in the middle of the lower edge of the frame, almost like there's been some post processing merge of two shots, which I'm sure isn't the case, it is just an illusion.

I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed it at the time of shooting either, but if you have any captures taken a fraction to one side or other, so the left edge retains a depth to it, they may avoid this minor issue.

I'm not sure if that's helpful at this point, I raise it simply as an indication of needing to view the entire frame before clicking the shutter - something I appreciate is often not going to be possible with street photography.
    Thanks Dave !! B&W version I have posted here as suggested by you all for your review. I have also posted the SOOC shot also. On Left side I have done some cloning work, it may be because of that. I will try to improve it next time for sure

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Tejal, B&W version looks better I think you have to lessen the strenght of PP on the man's face and feet because as Manfred mentioned before his skin looks a bit strange even in B&W.

PS. BTW if you uploaded your revised versions in new posts instead of uploading them into your first post, it would be easier for us to know you re-edited an image and uploaded it and we would be able to follow the comments and re-edits together

Real Name
    Tejal

Hi Tejal, B&W version looks better I think you have to lessen the strenght of PP on the man's face and feet because as Manfred mentioned before his skin looks a bit strange even in B&W.

PS. BTW if you uploaded your revised versions in new posts instead of uploading them into your first post, it would be easier for us to know you re-edited an image and uploaded it and we would be able to follow the comments and re-edits together
    Thanks Binnur...AS suggested by you, I will re-post the revised versions in new post.