Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Lighthouse in trouble!!

  1. #1
    Rui Lopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oporto
    Posts
    108
    Real Name
    Rui Lopes

    Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Lighthouse in trouble!!

  2. #2
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Hello compatriot
    Bad weather indeed.
    I have nothing to say to you but that the image is nice and well composed
    Maybe you could add a red light on the lighthouse itself ? ... to simulate it was flashing at the time you shot.


  3. #3
    Rui Lopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oporto
    Posts
    108
    Real Name
    Rui Lopes

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Hello compatriot
    Bad weather indeed.
    I have nothing to say to you but that the image is nice and well composed
    Maybe you could add a red light on the lighthouse itself ? ... to simulate it was flashing at the time you shot.

    a red light during the day? don´t you know that we must save energy???

  4. #4
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Lopes View Post
    a red light during the day? don´t you know that we must save energy???

    That is a good one ...

  5. #5
    bleys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    151

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Cool shot. Very dramatic. I like the colour of the sky.

  6. #6
    Rui Lopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oporto
    Posts
    108
    Real Name
    Rui Lopes

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    Cool shot. Very dramatic. I like the colour of the sky.
    Thanks for commenting.

  7. #7
    arith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Burton on Trent, UK
    Posts
    4,790
    Real Name
    Steve

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Looks dangerous; is the Nikon D300 waterproof.

  8. #8
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,392
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Hi Rui,

    It is a dramatic shot and the wave has been caught with good timing.

    However, I am struggling to get a sense of scale;
    at the bottom, one might assume the hole in the silver construction is human sized (e.g. a doorway),
    but at the top, the guard rail(?) around the platform might be assumed to be waist height - which gives a different answer by a factor of 3 or 4.

    So, do tell; just how big is it?
    Which of my assumptions is more correct?

    Thanks,

  9. #9
    Rui Lopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oporto
    Posts
    108
    Real Name
    Rui Lopes

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Looks dangerous; is the Nikon D300 waterproof.
    Yes! At least Nikon claims that! And so far I have no complaints...

  10. #10
    Rui Lopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oporto
    Posts
    108
    Real Name
    Rui Lopes

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Rui,

    It is a dramatic shot and the wave has been caught with good timing.

    However, I am struggling to get a sense of scale;
    at the bottom, one might assume the hole in the silver construction is human sized (e.g. a doorway),
    but at the top, the guard rail(?) around the platform might be assumed to be waist height - which gives a different answer by a factor of 3 or 4.

    So, do tell; just how big is it?
    Which of my assumptions is more correct?

    Thanks,
    I´ve not yet been close enough to answer! However, I suspect that both assumptions are correct since the part of the door you see is actually half of the entire height of it. The other half is hidden by the stone wall.

  11. #11
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,392
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Lopes View Post
    I´ve not yet been close enough to answer! However, I suspect that both assumptions are correct since the part of the door you see is actually half of the entire height of it. The other half is hidden by the stone wall.
    Ah ha! the penny drops, that isn't ground level I am looking at, the little ledge is.

    Now, if there had been half a (very wet) person there, I would have known - perhaps Antonio would go and pose there for a reshoot.
    I know he will forgive my wicked sense of humour!

    Thanks,

  12. #12
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    ...perhaps Antonio would go and pose there for a reshoot...
    Who knows what I am capable of in certain circumstances...


    And Colin: You only see half door and that is the height of the protecting rail.

    Architect' s eye ! Trained for detail

    Moreover, there is a telescope (?) supported by a tripod at the left side of the light house .

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    And Colin: You only see half door and that is the height of the protecting rail.
    I think you're confusing me with Dave again Antonio -- Dave is the good-looking one if that helps to tell us apart!

  14. #14
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,392
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I think you're confusing me with Dave again Antonio -- Dave is the good-looking one if that helps to tell us apart!
    If I were half the man you are, I wouldn't be able to see over that wall

  15. #15
    Rui Lopes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Oporto
    Posts
    108
    Real Name
    Rui Lopes

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by antonio correia View Post
    moreover, there is a telescope (?) supported by a tripod at the left side of the light house .
    lol!!!

  16. #16
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    What can I be Colin and Dave, but sorry for the confusion ?


  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    What can I be Colin and Dave, but sorry for the confusion ?

    Sorry Antonio, but you can't be Dave or Colin - just be the Antonio that we all know and love!

  18. #18
    Antonio Correia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Setubal - Portugal
    Posts
    3,743
    Real Name
    António Correia

    Re: Lighthouse in trouble!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Sorry Antonio, but you can't be Dave or Colin - just be the Antonio that we all know and love!
    I am going to try not to mess again. I said I am going to try.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •