Thread: External Flash

External Flash

Hi, I am in the process of purchasing accessories for my new hobby.

So far I have:

D7100 Nikon camera/AF-S 18-70MM, AF-S 70-300MM, and AF-50/F1.8 Nikkor Prime lenses.
    Dolica LX600B502DS 60" Pro Tripod
    Kenko Pro 1 Polarizing Filter
    Nikon Wireless Remote
    Nikon LCD Glass Protector

I know there are several other gadgets I will buy along the way, but for now, I am focused on a good external flash.

The Nikon ones seem too expensive for what they offer for extra features.
    I have looked at the used market (Canada/US) and there are very little out there of the good SB series (SB-700/800/910) at a discount price.

I made a spreadsheet of several options and the one I am thinking of getting that is the Voking V-581-N.
    It has a lot of features that I want and is on sale at a site for $160 whereas anywhere else it's over $200.
    Metal shoe/3-sec recycle/20-105mm zoom/1/8000 shutter/easy interface/90-280 swing/PC connection.

I looked at Sigma, Nissin, Bower and Yungnuo but they all lack at least one of the features of the Voking, except the Nissin Di866 which is $240 more and I could get an SB-700 new for that price.
    The few SB-800s I ran across have a ridiculous price tag and I could buy a new 910 for the same price.

Has anyone here had experience with the Voking? I can't find a manufacturer's website or any reviews. I am waiting for the supplier to get back to me with the name of the manufacturer.

I looked at a few others, but they had plastic shoes (and FYI-don't buy any with a plastic shoe). I learned my lesson a few years ago when I dropped a cheap flash from only about 3 feet from the ground and the shoe split in half. I did not attempt to solder it and take the chance of short circuiting my camera so I tossed it.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 16th April 2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Removed "lifeflower" link

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: External Flash

Note : It appears this poster on each of their three posts to date has a link to a site dumped in there that leads to a website with the name 'lifeflower'. Their first post also contained an image watermarked by a photographer who if you search the name is an extremely accomplished photographer?

The posts are also somewhat suspicious, and there are no replies to those that have taken the time to comment?

The identical post was put up on 'shuttertalk' in August 2014 and responded to up until Sept 2014 and then on April 2nd 2015 by the poster saying he had bought a SB700 and had forgot about the post, very strange?

Perhaps he will explain?
    Last edited by Stagecoach; 16th April 2015 at 10:19 AM.

Real Name
    Richard

If I were wanting a hotshoe flash and did not already own four Canon speedlights; I would take a serious look at the http://www.adorama.com/FPLFSMZLNK.html, the Flashpoint Zoom Li-oN TTL On-Camera Flash. I pasted the link to the Nikon model, of course, I would be looking at the Canon model.

I have not used (or even seen one in real life) however, I have purchased a few other Adorama house brand (Flashpoint) items and have been quite satisfied. I don't think that you could get all the bells and whistles that are on this flash for $180 USD in any other flash...

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    If I were wanting a hotshoe flash and did not already own four Canon speedlights; I would take a serious look at the http://www.adorama.com/FPLFSMZLNK.html, the Flashpoint Zoom Li-oN TTL On-Camera Flash. I pasted the link to the Nikon model, of course, I would be looking at the Canon model. ...
    This is the Godox V850. There are also TTL versions (V860).

This is like the-many-names-of-Samyang, only with flash gear. These units are made by the Chinese company, Godox, and then are rebranded, as Cheetah Lights, Adorama Flashpoint, B&H's Interfit Strobies, or Bolt flashes, and Neewer, among others. The main difference between this and a normal speedlight is that instead of using 4 AA batteries, it uses a Lithium battery pack, which greatly reduces the amount of battery management you have to do with one.

Godox is also making a lot of people happy with their Wistro bare-bulb flashes, which are only slightly bigger than speedlights (battery pack not included), but up to four times more powerful, with more of a "big light" falloff pattern and modifiers. And again, you'll see these branded as Cheetah, Flashpoint, Interfit, Bolt, and Neewer.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: the Wistro bare bulb flash... I really like the concept of a bare bulb flash. My Sunpak 120J has bare bulb capability. It gives very nice light when used without a modifier and also is great when used in a softbox. Trying to modify the traditional tiny reflector hotshoe flash units is sort of like melting ice cubes to make tea. It can be done but it is certainly not the most efficient way to make your cup of tea!