Thread: Nikon D7200 First Impressions

Real Name
    Garth

Nikon D7200 First Impressions

Colleagues,

I tend to collect camera bodies and, despite having the Nikon D7100 (since donated to a budding young photog with more "eye" than cash), lashed out for the D7200 a couple of days ago. I am taken aback at just how good it is. It is even giving my D800 a run when it comes to image quality. I doubt this is the same sensor as the D7100 has, despite the latter being a superb camera.

I have taken a few sample snapshots, including one at ISO 5000. These are not attempts at works of art - just simple demos you may find interesting. Jpegs prepared for Web presentation on computer monitors are mediocre proofs of quality at best but that's the best we can do.

http://www.wolfwillow.com/Photo/10-P.../02-D7200.html

Best wishes,
    JH

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Nikon D7200 First Impressions

It does indeed look impressive, Garth. Any idea how it stacks up against the D750, IQ-wise?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Any idea how it stacks up against the D750, IQ-wise?
    The main difference is that the D7200 puts a greater demand on the resolving power of the lens due to the physically smaller sensor. With top quality glass I would expect them to be close. The lack of an OLPF may even make them closer. I guess we will need to wait a little longer to find out for sure.

Garth - Enjoy your new camera!

John
    Last edited by PhotomanJohn; 16th April 2015 at 03:43 AM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Thanks for posting this Garth, I'm considering purchasing the D7200 and interested in any hands on feedback on it.

Real Name
    Garth

Thanks for all the responses. I can't comment on comparison with the D750 but agree with PhotomanJohn the high pixel density of this sensor (higher than the D800) invites use of the very best lenses to take advantage of that potential resolution. Having had the unit for only a few days an unconditional recommendation would be premature but I am increasingly impressed. The only "Gold Ring" Nikkor used with it so far is the 70 - 200 F/4 but will have a go with the 300 mm F/2.8, 105 mm VR Micro Nikkor, the 14 - 24 mm and, perhaps, the Sigma 180 mm macro in a few days after which I will re-post the link with more images.

I'll try to find time for a couple of direct comparison shots with the D800.

In judging noise so far, I find it photographically insignificant at any ISO I am likely to use (base to maybe 1600). What there is, even at ISO 5000, appears to be almost entirely of the luminance variety which is much preferable to the horrid, blotchy chroma noise we see with some cameras.

I note that DXO has rated this the best ever APS-C sensor.

Best wishes,
    g.

Real Name
    Mark

blast, now I want one - grrrr

cheers Garth