Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Carrying a Heavy Lens?

Real Name
    Adrian

Tips for Carrying a Heavy Lens?

So I just got the Tamron 150mm-600mm for Nikon and I love it. The only problem I have is that it weighs 4.30 lbs which is pretty heavy over time. Aside from a tripod does anyone have any tips for carrying a heavy lens?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Tips for Carrying a Heavy Lens?

Get a decent backpack and use it. A camera on the back is a lot easier to carry than one hanging from your neck and it's a lot safer too. The only downside is that you need to pull it our to shoot with it, and that kills getting any spontaneous shots. I've used a Kata (now owned and branded as Manfrotto) for years and will need to replace it as it is starting to wear out.

The tripod sits in a pouch attached to the back of my backpack.

I also use a Cotton Carrier harness if I want the camera in easy shooting reach, but with a long lens, you really need to secure it so it doesn't move around while carrying it.

Real Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Get a decent backpack and use it. A camera on the back is a lot easier to carry than one hanging from your neck and it's a lot safer too. The only downside is that you need to pull it our to shoot with it, and that kills getting any spontaneous shots. I've used a Kata (now owned and branded as Manfrotto) for years and will need to replace it as it is starting to wear out.

I also use a Cotton Carrier harness if I want the camera in easy shooting reach, but with a long lens, you really need to secure it so it doesn't move around while carrying it.
    Well I have a backpack the issue is when I'm walking around taking the photos.

Real Name
    Tom

I carry my long lens in its own case while I'm walking around. My lens came with the case, but I have heard good things about this Lowepro case for the Tamron: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Case_13_x.html FWIW

Real Name
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

So you're able to carry the Cotton Carrier Camera Vest and your backpack at the same time without any trouble?

Real Name
    Adrian

I don't want another case. I just want something that's going make it easier to carry but give me access to it right away. I'm looking into the Cotton Carrier camera vest mentioned earlier.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty Through a Lens View Post
    So you're able to carry the Cotton Carrier Camera Vest and your backpack at the same time without any trouble?
    I do so all the time. One Cotton Carrier (with the GX7) and one daypack (not my camera backpack) both on at the same time.

Last edited by Manfred M; 12th April 2015 at 04:58 PM.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I never tire of posting this image of my daughter on my tripod...hey, I'm kinda old.

Real Name
    John

When I used the Sigma 150-500mm lens, similar weight; I had it attached to a monopod. I used various techniques such as bracing the lens over my shoulder and sometimes cradling the system in my arms. Each method was very wearing after awhile, I carried the gear for at least two hours.

Real Name
    Dan

Another vote for the Cotton Carrier vest. It's expensive, but it works. The camera slips into a harness on your chest and locks in, lens down. I actually find it more comfortable with a camera bag on my back than without, as the weight in the front is balanced by the weight in the back. It does require that you swap your regular quick-release plate or L-bracket for one of their plates, but that doesn't take long.

Real Name
    Grahame

I'll not go into the ways that I have found best to carry around my recent 'heavy' lens for quick and safe access but CHECK ANY STRAP YOU ARE USING ON YOUR CAMERA

Real Name
    J stands for John

For carrying a heavy lens while you are photographing I suggest you forget about the camera and carry the lens with the camera attached. If your lens has a tripod thread then use it to carry the monopod else organise a lens collar to make the connection.[ note a tripod becomes a monopod when you use one leg longer that the other two ]

Years ago there was an instruction film made by some ex-US Govt photographers and in those days there was no such thing as hand holding if you were a professional and they demonstrated the quick way to move from one shooting position to the next.
    You organize your tripod with one leg longer than the other two and to pick up you grasp those two legs and lift the rig using a finger to hold the 'long leg' and you walk to the next position with the camera on your shoulder.
    At the new position you place the long leg on the ground and steo back a pace and put the other two legs on the ground and you are virtually ready to shoot.

In that respect a movie camera is often simpler to set up for a shot than a still camera but the basic principle remains wether it is a heavy film camera or a still with a heavy lens requiring a tripod for efficient use.

As you are about to buy a tripod remember that you need stability with a long lens and a tripod is steady but when they stick a convienient pole on it it becomes nice to use but likely to be hopeless as an accessory. Unless expensive a column tripod is not as good for use with a long lens as just a tripod. A good tripod will cost at least as much as your camera body to be worth getting and a monopod connected to the lens will be more satisfactory than a cheaper tripod.
    which is how I carried this rig ...
    You can see it has my home made collar with its thread for the monopod also home made and substantial
    all up that rig has a 950mm angle of view so support was advantagious
    Last edited by jcuknz; 13th April 2015 at 09:35 AM.

Real Name
    Kay

I would also have the collar on the lens & attach that to the monopod & carry it sort of laying across your body as you walk.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I would also have the collar on the lens & attach that to the monopod & carry it sort of laying across your body as you walk.
    I don't think you can do that with a Cotton Carrier. It holds the bottom of the camera flat against your chest. However, they do make available a second plate that combines their circular locking plate with an arca-swiss plate, so it is easy to attach a monopod when you take the camera off the vest. The problem is that when I last looked, there were only a few arca-swiss compatible monopod tilt heads, and they were pricey.

Real Name
    Bill Dewey

For this weight I would use a Black Rapid strap, perhaps the Sport model. Be sure to attach to the tripod collar, not your camera. Very easy to carry. I have been using their products since they first started, currently have a Yeti and the Sport. Recently I was shooting all hand-held in Montana with a D7100 plus 70-200 f4 on one side, D810 plus 80-400 on the other. Easy to carry and use both cameras. I have carried as much weight as my 400mm f2.8 (11lbs) on one side.

If you have an Arca-Swiss plate on your lens, you can use Arca-Swiss quick releases which makes it even easier, especially when switching between hand-held and tripod/monopod.

Real Name
    Richard

I usually carry my camera and longer lens (I'll admit that my longest and heaviest lenses are the 400mm f/5.6L and the 300mm f/4L IS) attached to either my tripod or my monopod over mu shoulder with the lens facing to the rear. I hold on to the tripod/monopod when walking. The gear rests on my shoulder where the lens attaches to the pod.

This is a fairly easy way to carry a load and... if I slip on rugged ground, the monopod/tripod will stop me from falling.

John is perfectly correct when he stated, "Years ago there was an instruction film made by some ex-US Govt photographers and in those days there was no such thing as hand holding if you were a professional and they demonstrated the quick way to move from one shooting position to the next.
    You organize your tripod with one leg longer than the other two and to pick up you grasp those two legs and lift the rig using a finger to hold the 'long leg' and you walk to the next position with the camera on your shoulder.
    At the new position you place the long leg on the ground and step back a pace and put the other two legs on the ground and you are virtually ready to shoot."

I could carry a very heavy setup such as a 16mm Mitchell camera with 400 foot magazine, O'Connor 50 fluid head and heavy wooden tripod. I would guess that the rig weighed upwards of 50 pounds or so.

Using the extended leg, I could place the one leg down and spread the two legs. When folding the tripod, I could place my shoulder under the camera and push forward, using the one leg as a pivot, I could push forward to lift the rig onto my shoulder.

The DSLR + long lens doesn't weigh anything like a professional 16mm motion picture rig but, keeping one leg longer than the other two is still a convenient way to work...

Another way to carry the long lens + DSLR is on an OPTECH dual harness which spreads the weight over both shoulders.

You don't need to carry two cameras with the Dual Harness...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 13th April 2015 at 05:51 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by retief View Post
    For this weight I would use a Black Rapid strap, perhaps the Sport model. Be sure to attach to the tripod collar, not your camera. Very easy to carry. I have been using their products since they first started, currently have a Yeti and the Sport. Recently I was shooting all hand-held in Montana with a D7100 plus 70-200 f4 on one side, D810 plus 80-400 on the other. Easy to carry and use both cameras. I have carried as much weight as my 400mm f2.8 (11lbs) on one side.

If you have an Arca-Swiss plate on your lens, you can use Arca-Swiss quick releases which makes it even easier, especially when switching between hand-held and tripod/monopod.
    As the owner of a couple of BlackRapid straps and Cotton Carrier, I would say both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. In urban settings of for short wilderness jaunts with shortish lenses and no tripod use, I would use the BlackRapid strap.

For anything that gets me off the beaten track, especially if i need to use trekking poles or need my hands for other reasons, the Cotton Carrier comes along. For long lenses like the Tamron 150-600mm (which is a bit longer than my Sigma 150-500), the BlackRapid would not be used because the lens is so darn long. My Nikkor 80-400mm is significantly shorter (the Tamron is about 5mm longer than the Sigma in the image).

With the Blackrapid strap, I find I have to have one hand one the camera / lens combination, whereas both hands are free on the Cotton Carrier. Others have noted the advantage of the Arca-Swiss compatible hub / mount on the Cotton Carrier. With the BlackRapid, I have to remove the strap and have to install a plate on my camera, so when tripod shooting, the BlackRapid strap is more trouble than its worth.

Both devices are excellent, as long as one understands the advantages and disadvantages in the various camera carrying scenarios.

Real Name
    Carol

This is what I use for my Tokina 400 lens:

http://optechusa.com/system-connecto...t-adaptor.html

I just clip it to my OpTech strap, and wrap the end around the lens.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

If you were looking for common ground to a specific question...you ain't gonna get it here.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    For carrying a heavy lens while you are photographing I suggest you forget about the camera and carry the lens with the camera attached. If your lens has a tripod thread then use it to carry the monopod else organise a lens collar to make the connection.[ note a tripod becomes a monopod when you use one leg longer that the other two ]

Years ago there was an instruction film made by some ex-US Govt photographers and in those days there was no such thing as hand holding if you were a professional and they demonstrated the quick way to move from one shooting position to the next.
    At the new position you place the long leg on the ground and steo back a pace and put the other two legs on the ground and you are virtually ready to shoot.

In that respect a movie camera is often simpler to set up for a shot than a still camera but the basic principle remains wether it is a heavy film camera or a still with a heavy lens requiring a tripod for efficient use.

As you are about to buy a tripod remember that you need stability with a long lens and a tripod is steady but when they stick a convienient pole on it it becomes nice to use but likely to be hopeless as an accessory. Unless expensive a column tripod is not as good for use with a long lens as just a tripod. A good tripod will cost at least as much as your camera body to be worth getting and a monopod connected to the lens will be more satisfactory than a cheaper tripod.
    which is how I carried this rig ...
    You can see it has my home made collar with its thread for the monopod also home made and substantial
    all up that rig has a 950mm angle of view so support was advantagious
    YES! Heavy lenses shouldn't be around your neck. I use the camera strap there for a final safety but the weight and lens go on the monopod. I'm so used to doing it this way that I even use it with my Nikon 1 and 70-300mm CX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast