Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Life span - how much use can one expect from non pro body.

Real Name
    Kay

Life span - how much use can one expect from non pro body.

Strange title for my question I know!
    But what I am wondering is 'how much is too much' - i.e I work in a school in Sports admin and have been very fortunate to have so many opportunities to improve my photography skills as there are just too many events with 1800 students for the 'employed' photographer to get to.
    Now however he has left and my 'dance card' is very full with requests to attend 'if you can' and shoot 2 or 3 sports events per week.
    Add to that my 2 sports events of my choice on weekends, plus seeking out other different events to widen my learning (e.g music comp at school and friends kids birthday parties or informal group outdoor protraits on the w/e)
    I'm starting to wonder how much use the 7D is designed to take?
    (Especially as a lot of my work is using 'burts' so more shots again used)
    I purchased the extended warranty so I have that for 3 years rather than the standard 12 months - but I think there is software that can look at 'shutter use' and I'm wondering if I have a fault canon could say - you must have been using this for 'pro volume' = deny repair.
    I know I am worrying in advance - nothing has broken down yet...but what can I say? 'chill out' in my house = note to self to defrost the freezer!
    I don't want to start being 'precious' with my gear at school/work as I know many people have problems finding subject matter - but I also wonder is there a point when I am risking wearing out my gear and perhaps should suggest they buy some equipment for me to use.
    Thanks.
    K

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Life span - how much use can one expect from non pro body.

Hi Kay,

The 7D is a semi-pro camera so nobody should be surprised if it does a semi-pro number of shots. I'm not sure what the rated shutter life is, but at a guess I'd say probably 150,000 - and even if if fails, shutters don't cost a lot to replace.

I'd suggest stop worrying, and start shooting

They say about 150K. I wouldn't worry about it. Life is too short.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    They say about 150K. I wouldn't worry about it. Life is too short.
    I was trying to think of a good analogy ... I think it's a bit like owning a Ferrari and being hesitant to use it because too many miles will wear out the tyres whereas in my opinion - drive it - have fun - and in the unlikely event that you wear out the tyres then just replace them!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I was trying to think of a good analogy ... I think it's a bit like owning a Ferrari and being hesitant to use it because too many miles will wear out the tyres whereas in my opinion - drive it - have fun - and in the unlikely event that you wear out the tyres then just replace them!
    I keep worrying about the life-span of my cars, but I do normal mileage (12k a year)and I always change them after three years. It's a waste of time worrying. Stuff today is pretty reliable if you buy a good make.

Real Name
    Steve

If you do a couple of hundred photo's a week; it should last ten years if looked after. Well that's what I'm banking on and I've got a 10D that is still fine.

I have a D90 and they are supposed to be rated at 100,000 shots for the shutter. At the price of the camera it works out at roughly 1.2 cents per shot. As a semi working tog that is chickenfeed compared to what film used to cost.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    I have a D90 and they are supposed to be rated at 100,000 shots for the shutter. At the price of the camera it works out at roughly 1.2 cents per shot. As a semi working tog that is chickenfeed compared to what film used to cost.
    Or in terms of replacing a failed shutter, probably around 1/3 of that cost per shot. eg $4 for 1000 shots.

I'm from Seattle and I go to school in Utah
    Real Name
    Justin

Same question, but with a Rebel XTi. I don't seem to be able to find the shutter life of my XTi. Does anyone know what it usually gets?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by neverhood311 View Post
    Same question, but with a Rebel XTi. I don't seem to be able to find the shutter life of my XTi. Does anyone know what it usually gets?
    All Canon said officially was "same as XT" (350D) which was around 50,000 - but I suggest not worrying about it as they're cheap enough to have replaced (all things considered).

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

This guy has been collecting real life data from camera users. Makes for some interesting reading.

http://olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

As one would expect, there are averages and actuals and your mileage will vary.

From my own experience I had a consumer point & shoot Minolta Z1 that worked hard for about 5 years and 45 000 pictures.

In the meantime the lens were a little scratched (never borrow your camera to your girlfriend ) good reason to upgrade to a Nikon D90. Then the shutter button stop working. I opened the camera and repair (not replace) the button. Now I am still using it for web pictures and macros. Great macro camera for it's price.

Don't worry for your camera, just go shoot!

I very definitely have a non-pro body - but it's served me fairly well for 57 years. I ditched the interchangeable lenses a couple of years ago, and went for fixed implanted lenses. As for the shutter, well, it just keeps on popping at a fairly constant rate, in fact sometimes I don't even realize it's gone off. I've had a few shutter failures in my time, but most were down to an excess imbibing of sensor-cleaning fluid (makes a great Martini). I shall keep soldiering on until I get the final, fatal ERR99 flash up, at which point I shall get a firmware update by doing the eternal reboot.

Isn't it strange how we worry about how long everything will last, except the most important thing?
    Last edited by carregwen; 9th June 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I very definitely have a non-pro body ... I shall keep soldiering on until I get the final, fatal ERR99 flash up...
    But can we be assured it will be disposed of in an environmentally-friendly way?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    But can we be assured it will be disposed of in an environmentally-friendly way?
    We are going off-topic here, but what the hell! It's a tricky one, isn't it? Cremation? Too much energy used. Burial? ground-pollution! What about doing what we in the West do - export your junk somewhere else? I fancy Mars (good climate).

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post
    We are going off-topic here, but what the hell! It's a tricky one, isn't it? Cremation? Too much energy used. Burial? ground-pollution! What about doing what we in the West do - export your junk somewhere else? I fancy Mars (good climate).
    What's all this talk of greenhouse gasses and Landfill?

<I can't think of a third alternative smilie>