Curvaceous Surfaces

Curvaceous Surfaces

Real Name
    John

Re: Curvaceous Surfaces

Very direct, nicely captured.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Probably the most simplistic image I've seen coming from your camera. It reminds me of an open book with no printing on the paper.

I wonder if "curvaceous" is the word you're intending to use. That's because I've seen it used only in the context of a woman's body. Perhaps you're intentionally alluding to that context. If not, "curvilinear" would be more accurate.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Interesting, Antonio. You have taken a rather mimimalist view with this image.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

This is fascinating. It's hard to say that that the title should say "curvilinear" when there is no curved line in the image but there is a straight line. The curvaceousness is given only by the gradation of light and dark.

I like the optical illusion too. When I first saw it, I thought that the lighter areas were convex outwards, but then they suddenly became concave, which I think now is how it is meant to be interpreted because of the light dividing line. I can see it either way now.

I hope that when we have had time to think about it some more you will tell us what it is.

Real Name
    John

It's all about light and shade and careful composition. I could live with that on the wall. Beautiful mono (as always) Antonio.

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Probably the most simplistic image I've seen coming from your camera. It reminds me of an open book with no printing on the paper.
    I wonder if "curvaceous" is the word you're intending to use. That's because I've seen it used only in the context of a woman's body. Perhaps you're intentionally alluding to that context. If not, "curvilinear" would be more accurate.
    Thank you Mike. It is not a book but the bonnet of a VW Golf. I am planning to make a collection of 15 images similar to this one. The difficulty here is to focus. One has to correct it manually or use the focus picking if available.
    In fact I initially used "warped surfaces" but someone - in another forum - explained to me that "curvaceous" would be more suitable.
    In fact, I didn't know such word as you can immagine. I have not Googled again and I have "opted" for that word. But what you are saying makes sense. As my intention is not to connect the images to the woman's body perhaps indeed curvilinear is better.

Thank you Manfred

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    This is fascinating. It's hard to say that that the title should say "curvilinear" when there is no curved line in the image but there is a straight line. The curvaceousness is given only by the gradation of light and dark.
    I like the optical illusion too. When I first saw it, I thought that the lighter areas were convex outwards, but then they suddenly became concave, which I think now is how it is meant to be interpreted because of the light dividing line. I can see it either way now.
    I hope that when we have had time to think about it some more you will tell us what it is.
    Now Tony you know what it is.
    I like the the ambiguity of the image, concave/convex.
    Shapes are generated by lines and this is why I started with warped surfaces

And thank you John from the South West of England !

Curvaceous Surfaces

Curvaceous Surfaces
    Curvaceous Surfaces

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Tony makes a good point as to why "curvilinear" isn't an ideal choice, that it brings attention to the line, which is straight. I also don't like "warped" because so often that term is used to describe something that has changed on its own to an undesirable state, such as something that has warped in the heat of the sun. Now that I have thought about it some more, I would go with "rounded surfaces" or "curved surfaces," probably the latter.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 14th April 2015 at 02:30 PM.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Tony makes a good point as to why "curvilinear" isn't an ideal choice, that it brings attention to the line, which is straight. I also don't like "warped" because so often that term is used to describe something that has changed on its own to an undesirable state, such as something that has warped in the heat of the sun. Now that I have thought about it some more, I would go with "rounded surfaces" or "curved surfaces."
    That Mike is a far more prosaic solution: "Superfícies encurvadas / Curved Surfaces"
    Thank you !