Thread: need suggestion for monitor type and size for work with photoship.

Real Name
    Bernard Kravitz

need suggestion for monitor type and size for work with photoship.

I need a serious monitor upgrade. I have a 24 inch dell HD but would like something larger. Any suggestions.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: need suggestion for monitor type and size for work with photoship.

It all depend on the amount of money you have to spend and what you call serious, serious to you may not be serious to a lot of others. So why not give us an idea of the upper amount you are willing to shell out.

Cheers: Allan

What is the model number of your Dell?

Real Name
    James Edwards

Hi Bernard, I'd agree with Allan, you need to provide a little more info really.
    One question though? Is there a reason why you want a larger monitor? I use 2 x 24" monitors. I did consider a 27" a while back but decided the 24" was optimal in terms of my setup for viewing comfort and space.
    I use Photoshop. so use the primary for the images and park all the control panels etc on the secondary.....

Bernard, I've always found this web site second to none when looking for monitors

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I definitely find that when it comes to post-processing work a bigger computer screen is better. I've had my Dell 2709 for almost 6 years and it was definitely the right move for me; the extra screen real estate is important. I use a smaller, lower quality screen as my secondary screen (I use a dual screen setup) and the larger screen is where I have the image I'm working on and the smaller screen which sits beside it, is where I put all my menus and other "stuff" so as to not clutter up the main screen too much. This is something you might want to consider as well.

The second consideration is getting a wide gamut screen (one that handles most of the AdobeRGB colour space) rather than just the sRGB colour space. I definitely see a difference between the two screens and the colours with the wide-gamut screen (10-bit IPS versus 8-bit TN) technology. If you are looking for something a bit higher end Eizo screens are commonly used by the pros for photo work.

Regardless of which way you go, make sure you also get yourself a profiling / calibration tool. These are an important element in a colour managed workflow.

Dell has a long history of making decent screens used by amateur photographers. If you have an unlimted budget, have

Real Name
    Richard

I am under the impression that (at least for some years) Dell obtained their monitors from Samsung rather than manufacturing the monitors themselves. I had a NEC monitor which was great but, it was not large enough and it did not last as long as I expected. I now use the 27 inch Samsung and am quite happy with it.

I was working with two monitors for a while but, my physical setup is more conducive to working with a single monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I am under the impression that (at least for some years) Dell obtained their monitors from Samsung rather than manufacturing the monitors themselves. I had a NEC monitor which was great but, it was not large enough and it did not last as long as I expected. I now use the 27 inch Samsung and am quite happy with it.

I was working with two monitors for a while but, my physical setup is more conducive to working with a single monitor...
    I definitely don't believe Dell makes their monitors. If you have ever tried to talk to Dell tech support about their monitors you will know that it's hard to find anyone who even knows they sell them, and you certainly won't get an answer to anything technical. I had to go through X-Rite' Dell Liaison to even pose a question, and even they haven't gotten an answer in three months now.
    I tried a dual monitor setup with U2413 and a 2320L. I found it drove me nuts.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Amongst many others, ah don't think Dell have ever manufactured their own monitors. They simply assemble. Often it's only the logo or badge which separates manufacturers models. Dell are known tae have used Samsung, AU, LG and BenQ . Up until a few years ago, there were only half a dozen bulk suppliers of monitor screens and electronics. Those mentioned above and a couple of other Korean mgfrs whose names escape me. Ah'd think nowadays that Foxconn provide many companies with thier screens and electronics.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lundberg View Post
    I definitely don't believe Dell makes their monitors.
    That is no surprise at all as there are only a few screen manufacturers around and a few more that actually assemble the components.

The fact that Dell customer support was unable to answer your question is very much related to the fact that the question you asked was not available on their script of answers, not because they don't manufacture screens. Even in highly integrated companies, the manufacturing and sales / sales support parts of the business are effectively run as separate entities and the communications between them is about the same as with external suppliers.

Apple has a well regarded customer support organization and they use contract manufacturers to assemble their products. That being said, they support their in-house (Apple branded) products well, but third party hardware /software support was abysmal in my experience. I suspect that if you ask a question that is "off script", you will have the same issue as you had with Dell.

As for who makes the product when it comes to contract manufacturing, this generally is time / SKU specific. Just because they use one particular subcontractor to make the product today does not mean they will use the same one next year. Even here there are two separate ways that these products are designed and manufactured. Some appear to be little more than re-branded parts (the customer's logo on the unit, rather than the suppliers) while others are designed and manufactured to the customer's specs. Again, using Apple as an example, they have in-house design teams and these are intimately involved with the contract manufacturer during new product start up.

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

Hello Bernard
    right now I work on a 27'' Philips for the picture and an old no-name for the tools; I can not go "back" to less "space". I am not yet decided, whether I go for the Eizo EV2736W-Photo or the Eizo ColorEdge CX271CNL (double price) - have to talk to myself about the remaining budget for photography this year
    I will keep the Philips as "working screen" as mentioned by other posters. For this setup you will have to make sure, your computer (your graphics card/chip) supports dual screens.
    There are other brands out there (Dell, BenQ, NEC) which are useful for photography work, IMHO Eizo makes the best - as by looking over the shoulders of some friends.
    Erwin

Hi All thanks for the info. Sorry for the name change. I no longer use the D300 .
    I am willing to spend up to 1500.00 on a monitor I have looked at Ezio with a 4 K option

But what do you have right now?

Real Name
    Tim Makins

Its interesting to see the price comparisons as monitors get bigger. Amazon has the Dell UltraSharp U3014 30-Inch PremierColor Monitor for $1119, and the Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor for $262. (I use 2 of the latter). So, for less than half the price of the 30 inch you can get 2 24 inch monitors. For the same price as the 30 inch you could have 4!! I find that 2 monitors are much preferrable to one big one, for a variety of reasons. If one has a fault, you still have one left. With Photoshop, you can keep the main editing screen on one monitor, and all the toolbars on the other, and still have room for Windows Explorer. Consider the aspect ratio of your photos, and that will give you a better idea of what will work best. You are unlikely to want to maximize a window, like a web browser, to take up the whole 30" screen, but opening them on a dual monitor setup means you can maximise just to that monitor - very handy.

Regards, Tim Makins

I'm using a 30" apple for my main screen and a 20" apple for my tool box, email and such. I've had this set up for about 5 years now and profile the color with the efi color profiler. I'm just starting to get color deviations in the screen so I'm not sure I could vouch for an apple screen as far as longevity goes.

All the retouchers in our sister building are using NEC monitors and using the same calibration profiler.

One suggestion in case you haven't thought about it is to get a matte monitor. I was given a 27" apple cinema display but I couldn't stand seeing my reflection in the screen while I was working. I did take that monitor into my new studio and use it for tethered shooting when the lights are out.