Thread: Splash!

Real Name
    Kristy

Splash!

Splash!

This is my middle child, Kezia. It's warming up enough outside for puddle splashing, so this is my kids' favorite pass time right now! C&C welcome... I tried using the sport preset on my Nikon 3100 (55-200mm kit lens) in order to capture the water drops. Does this look like I overdid it in post? I'm still trying to decide how much sharpening and increased contrast I like, and I feel like I'm pushing it a bit on this one. Thoughts? Thanks!
    Kristy

Real Name
    John

Re: Splash!

Nicely done.

The trouble with presets is that they tend to give you a bit in one direction but take something away elsewhere.

However in this case it seems to have worked reasonably well. The lens is wide open so your focus depth is a bit reduced, but you haven't lost anything important.

Water drops can cause over exposure problems but because these are from muddy water that has worked without any serious issues.

Saturation is possibly a bit high on the reds but once again, nothing serious.

So yes, this shot is working OK.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Looks good to me Kristy, what a lovely expession on your little girl's face. I don't think you've pushed the pp too far at all.

Dave

Real Name
    Dean

Wonderful shot. Pp not over done.

Real Name
    Richard

It's wonderful how kids can find joy in just about anything... If the image were mine, I would consider selectively brightening the shadow portion of her face just a bit...

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Yes Kristy -- that is a beautiful rendition though I agree with Richard somewhat to lighten up her face a little. The Dodge brush configure to Shadows at the bar with a minimum of 15% will do this nicely....

Real Name
    J stands for John

I like it though sadly the background is so confused that it largely masks the spray droplets except where the dark tree shows them off.

Real Name
    David

Very nice Kirsty, looks good to me, I agree about the shadow area though

Real Name
    Kristy

Thanks so much for the kind and helpful comments everyone!

Geoff, I think you're right that the reds are a bit high. I think I need to calibrate my laptop (the only computer I have). When I look at this image on my phone it looks way more red than it did on my laptop.

Richard, Izzie, and David: I will try lightening the shadows on her face. You're right, the mid afternoon light was a bit harsh. Thanks for the tip on how to do this, Izzie!

Again, thanks to all for looking and taking the time to comment!
    Kristy

Real Name
    Kristy

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Yes Kristy -- that is a beautiful rendition though I agree with Richard somewhat to lighten up her face a little. The Dodge brush configure to Shadows at the bar with a minimum of 15% will do this nicely....
    I finally had time to play with this tonight... Wow! That is so easy, and makes her face look so much better!!! Thanks again for explaining HOW to lighten the shadows on her face, Izzie! I'll be using this technique a lot from now on.

Real Name
    Grahame

Kristy, you did well and the camera chose just about perfect settings for this shot. Geoff mentions the water drops over exposure but you really can't control things to cater for that without affecting the rest of the image.

The pink may be a little bright but hey, it's a happy fun shot it does not require technical perfection

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by klpurkett View Post
    I finally had time to play with this tonight... Wow! That is so easy, and makes her face look so much better!!! Thanks again for explaining HOW to lighten the shadows on her face, Izzie! I'll be using this technique a lot from now on.
    Kristy....she is a very pretty girl...she deserves a little bit work ... well worth it for the wall hanger...

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Kristy . Very nice shot and your daughter looks beautiful . I'm sure she looks even more beautiful after lightening the shadows on her face

Real Name
    Joe

I like it a lot!

Real Name
    Kristy

Thanks for your encouraging comments Grahame, Binnur and Joe! Much appreciated.