Thread: Malfunction of Camera Meter on Canon 5D Mk2

Real Name
    Pat

Malfunction of Camera Meter on Canon 5D Mk2

A friend of mine has a 5D MKii that has not been used for a while and when she recently started to use it again the in built light meter refused to operate, I advised her to try a different lens on it to see if the lens could be at fault, No change so I told her to check the contacts very carefully around the lens mount for any damage.
    While I am waiting for her to get back to me I thought I would ask you good folks if you have any experience of this problem.

Regards, Pat

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

re: Malfunction of Camera Meter on Canon 5D Mk2

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    A friend of mine has a 5D MKii that has not been used for a while and when she recently started to use it again the in built light meter refused to operate, I advised her to try a different lens on it to see if the lens could be at fault, No change so I told her to check the contacts very carefully around the lens mount for any damage.
    While I am waiting for her to get back to me I thought I would ask you good folks if you have any experience of this problem.

Regards, Pat
    I'm not a Canon DSLR shooter Pat, but I would suggest a full factory reset is tried; there's probably a menu option for this, or possibly a means by simultaneously pressing a couple of buttons.

I assume the battery is fully charged and has been removed and re-inserted - the camera is a computer, so it needs a good supply and a reboot

Good luck, Dave

Real Name
    Pat

Re: Malfunction of Camera Meter on Canon 5D Mk2

Thanks Dave,
    Will give that a try.

Best Wishes, Pat

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    . . .Will give that a try.
    What happened?

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Bill,
    I told her to try what Dave suggested but she didn't get back to me yet, will fill you in when she does.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Ta.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Bill, Dave,
    She finally got back to me, today in fact, and was delighted, the above suggestions made by Dave did indeed work.

Best Wishes,

Pat

Real Name
    Richard

I had a Canon 30D that worked wonderfully EXCEPT when I was erasing images. If I chose to erase a single image there would be no problem however if I opted to "ERASE ALL" which if I remember correctly was one of the choices on the 30D, the camera would freeze. There was not problem when I formatted the card (which accomplished the same thing).

It was recommended that I remove both the main battery and auxiliary battery which solved the problem. As Dave recommended, I recommend removing the two batteries as the first troubleshooting step whenever a camera fails for any reason.