Thread: HDR Wildlife Photographer

Real Name
    Mike Langdon

HDR Wildlife Photographer

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: HDR Wildlife Photographer

Interesting and effective image. Definitely the type of shot that is well served by HDR.

My only question - why is the photographer taking a shot of the section of the wall between the windows?

Real Name
    John

Nice processing.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Interesting and effective image. Definitely the type of shot that is well served by HDR.

My only question - why is the photographer taking a shot of the section of the wall between the windows?
    I think she is having lunch...see those two lunch boxes, one beside her and another one that is not touched yet...

Anyway nice treatment...a bit on the yellow side....?

Near where her right ear should be there is something just visible at full screen size. Probably binoculars as she is looking out of the right hand window.

Yes a bit on the yellow side but that is probably natural colour inside the hide and her red coat is slightly over saturated in the bright sunlight area. Probably impossible to avoid and it doesn't really cause any serious problems.

Overall, considering the challenges of this scene, it has worked well enough for me.

Real Name
    Binnur

No, I think she is taking a photo, the legs of her tripod can be seen easily.

Mike, I find the composition nice and interesting BTW +1 to Manfred's question.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Good capture Mike, that's what I call working in comfort !

Dave

Real Name
    Mike Langdon

Thank u all for your comments.
    she is taking photos out of the right hand window using a sigma 150-500mm lens it is mounted on a tripod. Colour and white balance are all set using colour checker passport.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langdon View Post
    Colour and white balance are all set using colour checker passport.
    That may be true regarding your input colours, but your tone mapping program (a.k.a. HDR software) doesn't care.

Take your color sampler tool and look at your black point and white point (use a 3x3 pixel sample size). I think you'll find that these are not neutral and show a yellow (low blue value) and green (low magenta) colour cast. All three colour components should have the same value for your black and white point. Whites should be white, blacks should be blacks and neutrals should be neutral.

Real Name
    Mike Langdon

That may be true regarding your input colours, but your tone mapping program (a.k.a. HDR software) doesn't care.

Take your color sampler tool and look at your black point and white point (use a 3x3 pixel sample size). I think you'll find that these are not neutral and show a yellow (low blue value) and green (low magenta) colour cast. All three colour components should have the same value for your black and white point. Whites should be white, blacks should be blacks and neutrals should be neutral.

Is this better?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

The interior looks a lot better in this version, Mike. The plywood looks like wood. I haven't done the colour picker test, but suspect you have nailed the black and white points in this version. Just as an aside, we have the Sigma 150-500mm as well; at least my wife does, although I am allowed to borrow it if she's not shooting with it.

A couple of thoughts.

1. Interiors are usually a darker than the exterior, so if it were my shot, I might be tempted to darken the interior a touch, and let the exterior remain a bit brighter. I think that might look a touch more natural; and

2. I might be tempted to increase the saturation on the exterior. I suspect that the HDRI process might have toned down the exterior a bit more than is called for;

3. The red jacket looks rather faded in the new version. I suspect that the red is probably more "true" in the original; and

4. HDRI kills contrast, if it were my image I might go back and play with the curves a bit.

Regardless; I like the image. At least when you look out, you're not looking at snow...

Real Name
    Mike Langdon

The interior looks a lot better in this version, Mike. The plywood looks like wood. I haven't done the colour picker test, but suspect you have nailed the black and white points in this version. Just as an aside, we have the Sigma 150-500mm as well; at least my wife does, although I am allowed to borrow it if she's not shooting with it.

A couple of thoughts.

1. Interiors are usually a darker than the exterior, so if it were my shot, I might be tempted to darken the interior a touch, and let the exterior remain a bit brighter. I think that might look a touch more natural; and

2. I might be tempted to increase the saturation on the exterior. I suspect that the HDRI process might have toned down the exterior a bit more than is called for;

3. The red jacket looks rather faded in the new version. I suspect that the red is probably more "true" in the original; and

4. HDRI kills contrast, if it were my image I might go back and play with the curves a bit.

Regardless; I like the image. At least when you look out, you're not looking at snow...

I have edited again taking note of your suggestions. I feel that it has improved the image a lot, thank you for your help Manfred.

Real Name
    Matt

Its a good idea, although there are a lot of green/yellow tones which I feel leaves the image unbalanced. Also the view outside isn't that great, what is she actually photographing?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Langdon View Post

I have edited again taking note of your suggestions. I feel that it has improved the image a lot, thank you for your help Manfred.
    I suspect that this is reasonably close.

The process you've gone through is effectively why I've largely abandoned HDR and now hand-blend multiple exposures when I run into situations where I formerly shot for HDR. The colours end up looking a lot more natural.

Real Name
    Erik

I like it...the overall simplicity of the scene and colors look really good to me. It would be nice to have a bit more clarity on what the photographer is doing...eating, photography, soaking in the moment...etc. Either way very pleasing to my eye.

Real Name
    Raj

Nice shot. Which software have ya used for HDR?

At least when you look out, you're not looking at snow...
    Thanks for the laugh Manfred. As I sit here in my cargo shorts and tee shirt I really feel for those of you still out in the cold.

Love reading the comments/suggestions of everyone here on CiC. Opening my eyes to new ways of looking at things.