Thread: Photo for my boss

Real Name
    Chris

Photo for my boss

As some of you may no I prefer and am very much comfortable with landscape photography. My boss is running in the local election and has asked me to take his photo. Nothing fancy just a nice sharp image for his parties web page. Here is the photo I have come up with. Its not great as I have spent years taking photos of hills, skies and waterfalls not trolls I mean bosses Any comments and critique welcome.

Photo for my boss

Real Name
    John

Re: Photo for my boss

Nice effort on the exposure, you chose a very busy background however. Does the setting provide any clues to the viewer of his personaility, does the crop of the hand signify he has something to hide ? If you can't do a reshoot, consider cropping and removing the noisy background.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Nice effort on the exposure, you chose a very busy background however. Does the setting provide any clues to the viewer of his personaility, does the crop of the hand signify he has something to hide ? If you can't do a reshoot, consider cropping and removing the noisy background.
    My Boss choose this spot himself as the photo has to have some thing recognisable from his own constituency so he chose his local train station I don't think a re-shoot is on the cards. I will look into the crop but I don't want to over crop it as its already been cropped.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Chris, this shot looks good to me, for it's intended purpose. Your boss is well lit and he looks like the sort of person I could vote for ! I'm sure you'd agree.

Dave

No! Sorry but a potential disaster here unless you do some cloning of the sign on the door which says Keep Clear.

I'd have put him on the other side of the railing so the dark door is behind his head, get him to button the middle button on his suit, not the lower one.
    The railing is going into his head and the window trim is coming up out of it.

Nice effort, I like the lighting/exposure.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    No! Sorry but a potential disaster here unless you do some cloning of the sign on the door which says Keep Clear.
    And the one above his head that says 'trance'.

Real Name
    Grahame

Chris, I'm going to say that for the purpose of the shot you have done a good job and if your boss is happy with it, fine.

The problem of course is that some here are going to view it as 'photographers' that know or have read all the rules and guidelines but in reality it is going to be looked at only by people that see it simply as a picture of him and the background is totally irrelevant to them. Well done.

Real Name
    Richard

There are some real positives in this image. His glasses do not have reflections which is good and he does look quite relaxed. Additionally, you have not shot from so close a distance as to induce distortion (long nose etc.) which is a bugaboo with portraits shot from up close with a wider angle lens...

He gives the impression from this image that he is open, friendly and honest (or am I reading more into the image than is there). That is certainly a great plus for a candidate for any office...

However, I noticed a few problems in this image which perhaps doesn't bother your boss but, would bother me if it were my picture...

His jacket appears too tight and to get around that problem he has buttoned the bottom button of his three button jacket. Traditionally, either the middle button or the top two buttons (at least here in the USA) of a 3-button jacket are the ones buttoned. The bright tie appearing in the jacket opening really brings attention to the jacket not properly closing...

Your boss has a double chin. Posing a person who has a double chin with his jaw consciously jutting forward reduces the double chin considerably.

This next is a personal quirk. I like either a clean shaven look or a full beard better than a "needing a shave" look. However, lots of guys (including models and actors) seem to think that the partial beard is macho looking. Usually, in these cases, the guy sporting the unshaven look is younger and more virile looking. IMO an older guy trying the unshaven look simply looks unshaven...

It has been mentioned that the background is exceptionally busy in this shot. I find myself looking all over the image when I should be concentrating on the subject.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 27th March 2015 at 12:20 AM.

Real Name
    John

And finally, I don't know how important the election is or if your boss any opponents, but in the world of politics, how might the opposition use this portrait to their advantage. That thought may not be relevant to this particular election, but it is something to consider for future efforts.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Chris...I applaud your decision to do this shot...If this is going to be in his website, you should also consider that not all those who will be viewing this shot are "normal" people who doesn't care one way or the other. Some of them might also be like "us normal people" here at CiC who tend to look for flaws in an image. What does that say about you? Well, no one knew it was you who took the shot anyway...as long as your name is not in the line, I guess that is fine...

I like your shot, nice clear image...just that the background is too busy...the "Stay Clear" and "trance" made me smile.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Chris,

I applaud you for being willing to extend yourself beyond your comfort zone.

One of the things to consider about every image is the intended output. As an example, the choices you make will be very different when an image is going to be displayed at the size of a postage stamp than when it is to be displayed as a really large print. So, it would be especially nice if you would provide a link to your image once it is added to the political party's website. That's because critique of the image can't be complete until we see it in context of the image's final resting place.

I mention that because some of the comments made so far might be mute or might be especially valid depending on the size of the image. Having said that, even if the image is going to be displayed really small, paying attention to the details brought to your attention when making future photos including your beloved landscapes will improve your photography by leaps and bounds.

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    in reality it is going to be looked at only by people that see it simply as a picture of him and the background is totally irrelevant to them. Well done.
    But it is a political photo, Grahame. If that 'keep clear' sign remains in the final crop, it will be a gift to his opponents.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Chri5 View Post
    My Boss choose this spot himself as the photo has to have some thing recognisable from his own constituency so he chose his local train station I don't think a re-shoot is on the cards. I will look into the crop but I don't want to over crop it as its already been cropped.
    Allrighty then Chris?

If Boss wants the shot here and a re-shoot is not possible? Now what?

Here's one quick thought:

Photo for my boss

Excellent capture - well taken.

Real Name
    Chris

Thank you all very much for commenting. Each and every comment has been very helpful. I have taken them all on board. I will be more vigilant in the future of double chins and door signs. Thanks again

I think your edits are good but man...he just has a look about him that I would want to try to get him smiling. It's in his eyes...he needs happy eyes, trusting eyes.

Real Name
    Matt

Not sure if its been mentioned but does the image need to be rotated to the left a bit?

Real Name
    Chris

Your right matt it does need tilted but when I straightened my boss looked like he was leaning over so I had to put it back.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Chri5 View Post
    Your right matt it does need tilted but when I straightened my boss looked like he was leaning over so I had to put it back.
    Yes we must have him looking like an upright citizen