Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Red light, blue light, couldn't find a green

Red light, blue light, couldn't find a green

For these I used a table lamp fitted with a red bulb for the first shot, and a blue one for the second. The lamp has a variable in-line dimmer on the cord, so I was able to turn the power down very low - enough to illuminate the element, without blowing the light area of the shot. Each one was formed from six manually focussed shots stacked in Helicon.

Why? Haven't got a clue. C&C welcome.

Real Name
    David

Re: Red light, blue light, couldn't find a green

Hi Rob - I think these are fascinating. Helicon is the DoF stacking system if I recall correctly. In which case, the captured images are beautifully aligned. As a scientist I am intrigued by the wispy light trials above and below the filaments. Are these reflections or a type of electrical discharge? In addition, I could see these as "arty" images in prints all over student bedsits. Or maybe I'm showing my age.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I echo David's comments. Notwithstanding the technical proficiency, what is most to admire is the imagination that generated the idea to do it in the first place. All these bits come together and produce wonderful images. I have said similar things in relation to Steve's (Wirefox's) work.

Even if I knew how to do it, it wouldn't enter my head that there was an image in such an object (I've led a very sheltered life!).

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post

Why? Haven't got a clue. C&C welcome.
    Why? Because it's there. ( Smilie omitted, in deference to Rob's prejudices. )

These are great shots, Rob. I like the crop/composition of the red one better: the reflection of the external light (window?) at the left of the blue one seems to distract without adding to what's there. If there were another filament light to the left that could be reflected on the outside of the blue light, so it would be complementary, that would rock!

Cheers,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi Rob - I think these are fascinating. Helicon is the DoF stacking system if I recall correctly. In which case, the captured images are beautifully aligned. As a scientist I am intrigued by the wispy light trials above and below the filaments. Are these reflections or a type of electrical discharge? In addition,
    Yes, Helicon - a very good bit of software. Here is a screen-grab at 130% of the red light. You can see how well it stacks. The light trails are reflections from the filament glowing (it was only on low power)

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I could see these as "arty" images in prints all over student bedsits. Or maybe I'm showing my age.
    I was thinking more of well-heeled yuppies in loft apartments in upper Manhattan?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Even if I knew how to do it, it wouldn't enter my head that there was an image in such an object (I've led a very sheltered life!).
    Donald - you are not taking the right kind of pills! My intention with all these objects (kitchen item last week etc) is to show everyday things in a very different way. As a viewer it makes you think about something that is familiar, and hopefully you see it differently. Don't you think that's what makes any shot good?

Quote Originally Posted by rick55 View Post
    ... the reflection of the external light (window?) at the left of the blue one seems to distract without adding to what's there. If there were another filament light to the left that could be reflected on the outside of the blue light, so it would be complementary, that would rock!
    Yes, I have been trying different things to get a light sheen on one side (which it does need). I might try another light. One could spend hours messing with this.

Real Name
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by carregwen View Post

One could spend hours messing with this.
    Now who's getting addicted? : ... Oops, almost put a smilie in there.

Cheers,
    Rick

Not one smiley on this page. We are sulky puss this week aren't we. Its a good job your images are a damn site brighter. A very interesting bit of work and technically excellent as per usual. Hope the eco police don't catch up with you though. The shame of it all. "Welsh photographer detained on possession of tungsten light bulbs" They put these items on the top shelf at our local B&Q. The number of times I have plucked up courage to go in and buy one and come out with a packet of No8 screws. I just bottle it when I see the retired eco warrior on the till. Much easier buying Fiesta from the local newsagents when I was 16

Steve

Could you comment on how you lit these shots, Rob? I love great shots of otherwise ordinary things but I haven't a clue how to light them in a way that makes them pop.

Quote Originally Posted by bleys View Post
    Could you comment on how you lit these shots, Rob? I love great shots of otherwise ordinary things but I haven't a clue how to light them in a way that makes them pop.
    For the red light the bulb was in the table lamp (minus shade obviously) It was placed on a table between me and a north facing windo in daylight. I didn't use flash as it made the bulb look washed out and it showed up the flash too much in the reflection. I didn't think there would be enough light from the front side as it was backlit, but the bulb element must have been enough to light it. I wanted it dark looking anyway.

For the blue light I laid the lamp on it's side on a table on a piece of white art paper in front of the north-facing window. Again, I didn't use flash, and I got some light bounced off the art paper underneath. I then rotated the shot CCW to make it look as if it were up against a wall. Shot below is for another subject, but shows the setup. It also shows my black acrylic sheet used for reflections.

It was a very simple setup, but you do need to experiment a lot when you shoot this sort of thing, as small changes in positioning and light can make a significant difference.