Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still trying to grasp colors

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Still trying to grasp colors

There's no question in my mind that a lot of studio still work looks more dramatic, on the net,
    with a black background, but...a lot of perusing the "for sale" artistic websites tells me that black
    isn't a popular background for the type of stuff that I cough out.

As I have been working with smoke of late, I offer this as a case in point...called The Valkyrie and
    her Pet. With the exception of manipulation, the smoke on black is SOOC followed by an inverted image.

In your humble opinion...which might be more saleable at the local Art Show? FYI...it is 40" wide @ 300ppi.

Real Name
    John

Re: Still trying to grasp colors

I believe you'll find a market for both, but the version on black will have more appeal to various age groups. My first comment upon seeing the blue on black version was "wow", instant appeal.

Real Name
    Mike Langdon

Personally I really love the white background, I think it would look very nice framed as a piece of art. I would happily have it on my wall

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Blue/black or white/gold?

Is this a dress thing????

Both are interesting but I would crop to a banner/panorama format. The vacant top third doesn't add much to the linear image.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Chauncey,

Absolutely gorgeous, and simply amazing. While I love the blue and black, if hanging on a wall in my home I would go for the white and gold for the simplicity and more neutral colouring.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Chauncy - I think it really depends on what art people are selling. I suspect that this is really what is happening here.

I find that smoke works best on dark, and I do think that the two images that you show clearly demonstrate that this type of photography works better on the black than white. Frankly, one doesn't see too much smoke photography for sale...

Just as an aside; when people approached me to buy some of my work it was either my night shots or my snow shots, so it really doesn't much matter. You need to establish your own market niche and try to sell what you consider sellable. Tell all those street vendors with the paintings done on black velvet that dark backgrounds don't sell...

Real Name
    Binnur

I like them both, but I would buy the white one. I agree with Brian about the crop.

Real Name
    John

As a sometimes practicing artist, I think the white background can sometimes symbolizes a creativity block, it sometimes hinders writers and artists when the creative juices just aren't flowing. Artists have a tendency to want to fill the void.

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

I think each has its own place. The first one may do well in a dark lit bar or pub whereas the second image will go with brighter surroundings.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Okay...as the girl/bear is on it's own layer and you were going to hang it in your living room...
    what colors would be most pleasing?

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Well, as graphic, not representational art I would offer it in both and probably add a few more color combinations.

White on gold would look good, black on white and vice versa. Red/white, red/gold, pale green/ochre, I would think I could spend a few hours coming up with combinations that would work.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

There is no rule saying you have to stick to a single colour. Work with multi-coloured backgrounds and bring them through by playing with blending modes.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Okay...as the girl/bear is on it's own layer and you were going to hang it in your living room...
    what colors would be most pleasing?
    The blue/black is more pleasing. To me it has that "wow' factor while the white/gold seems more subtle. Even though both uses the same void space, the black seems more mysterious while the white seems sterile and unassuming.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Tell all those street vendors with the paintings done on black velvet that dark backgrounds don't sell
    Interesting but...I always thought the word "tacky" is understated when referencing black velvet artwork.
    With that mindset...why am I even considering black backgrounds...Dah

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Interesting but...I always thought the word "tacky" is understated when referencing black velvet artwork.
    With that mindset...why am I even considering black backgrounds...Dah
    So tacky sells. Just ask Elvis...

He seems to be one of the common black velvet "victims". I actually remember someone I knew who had one.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I actually remember someone I knew who had one.
    As did I. but the operative word in "one", and I spent my younger years in a Appalachia type area...
    the one with the washing machine as a yard decoration.

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    There is no rule saying you have to stick to a single color. Work with multi-colored backgrounds and bring them through by playing with blending modes.
    Also, perhaps venturing away from pure neutral backgrounds into the world of opposite colors as in L*a*b* or even complementary coloring as found in house-painting for example

Perhaps golden smoke over dark blue-cyan, for example. Just my 2cts worth . .

Real Name
    Trish Berthon-Jones

I agree with Saorsa. What appeals to people varies according to the current fashions in style, different personal tastes, and what emotions different colours evoke. If people are going to hang a picture, then they will be thinking 'what does this picture mean to me?', and 'how does it go with the room decor?' So, offer a few different colour renditions. I feel that both are great versions but each has a different feel. Very fluid images, I love them both. For me, the gold would look best on the walls at home. If displaying at an art show, you could perhaps consider a tryptich or a frame with four different colour renditions in it. I'd also support a bit of cropping. Play with it and see what you think. Gold on black, red on gold......

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I kinda like Ted's idea...complimentary colours -- there! do your homework...

+1 to Ted!!!

Real Name
    Lukas Werth

For me it's the black one, hands down. Fascinating against merely interesting.

Lukas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast