Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Exposure Compensation: Before or After?

Exposure Compensation: Before or After?

I understand that if I shoot in RAW, I can adjust the exposure during post-processing. Most RAW processing software today offer exposure adjustment value for +/- 2EV. My question is, given this software feature at post-processing, do I still need to set the exposure compensation to the proper value (if so needed) at the time of shooting?

Re: Exposure Compensation: Before or After?

Quote Originally Posted by tmyuen View Post
    I understand that if I shoot in RAW, I can adjust the exposure during post-processing. Most RAW processing software today offer exposure adjustment value for +/- 2EV. My question is, given this software feature at post-processing, do I still need to set the exposure compensation to the proper value (if so needed) at the time of shooting?
    It is desirable to expose properly at shooting. RAW adjustment can't fix grossly exposed pictures.

Re: Exposure Compensation: Before or After?

The best quality in your RAW data is achieved when the maximum signal is captured, as in most electronic systems where an analog signal is being recorded. In digital photography this is usually called 'Expose to the right', and means sometimes obtaining a RAW file more exposed than the final desired result.

However, as long as you are shooting RAW and you take care not to blow the highlights when doing ETTR, you don't need to worry about having to correct exposure in post processing: it will not only not damage your information, but will improve it providing less noisy shadows, i.e. more dynamic range.

This exposure adjustment is done best in the RAW developer since only these programs include algorithms to keep the highlights neutral.

BR