Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: At your own risk

Real Name
    Ali

At your own risk

I saw this couple at the Cape, on a sunny day, they had just finished their outdoor wedding photoshoot.

At your own risk

Comments?
    Last edited by Alis; 14th October 2008 at 03:49 PM.

Re: At your own risk

Good background apart from some disturbances at the bottom , nice theme (message from the sign board ) , good natural lighting

Could be better if cropped a bit on top and framed a bit below to get the floor...just my 2 cents

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks, Ajith. I agree with your comments about distractions at the bottom. There were too many things there and I had to keep them out of the frame, these two men were sitting farther at the edge of the cliff, and that is why they are still in the image. I probably can crop them away in PS.

Sedali

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi sedali,

Nice picture.

I think I'd;
    - recompose by taking 25% off the right hand side, thus also eliminating the people in front of the RH rocks, but just leaving a little bit of rock in shot at the (new) corner
    - clone away the head against the sea
    - also clone away, or darken and desaturate, say 3 of the most obvious distant objects

Anyway, that's what I'd do, others may disagree, I like the picture and it is beautifully sharp and well exposed.

Looking at the horizon (which I would leave in), it is ever so slightly leaning, but, especially if jpg, I would think twice before correcting such a small error, as the reprocessing involved could introduce artefacts that are worse than the lean, possibly ruining the sharpness.

Well spotted, I wish I had the 'eye' for these things.

I hope that hasn't come across as too critical.

Regards, Dave

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks, Dave. I think these are good points and I am so happy that I could guess most of it. I have been learning a lot here recently and appreciate any comment or suggestion.

About this picture, I have posted a different view of the scene where the picture was taken, as you can see it was sort of crowded and everyone was moving. This was the best I could do fast enough to take most of the distractors out of the view.

At your own risk
    Last edited by Alis; 15th October 2008 at 03:51 AM.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Looking at the horizon (which I would leave in), it is ever so slightly leaning, but, especially if jpg, I would think twice before correcting such a small error, as the reprocessing involved could introduce artefacts that are worse than the lean, possibly ruining the sharpness.

I have the RAW image, would that be different from a Jpeg with regard to this correction?

Thanks,

Sedali

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

While I haven't tried side-by-side comparisons, I would hope so.

If you wanted to start over, then yes, I'd correct the tilt in RAW, before it hits jpg format.

Stop reading here if you don't want to know this (I can bore for England );
    The technical reasons (as best I understand and can explain them) are that the jpg codes little blocks of 8 x 8 pixels to effect compression (i.e. saving less bits/picture). If you re-open a jpg, then edit the picture and change almost anything in less than 8 pixel blocks, it has to recalculate these codes and in so doing, codes in not only the previous artefacts and mutiplies them with the new ones of the current coding process. I'm sure there must a Tutorial in CinC that explains it in more detail and better than this.

That's why it is preferable to start with RAW rather than jpg for the best quality, especially if you're going to edit the picture and re-save it, quite apart from the argument that says a PC jpg is better than an in-camera one. Also why you should do all your editing and make just one (jpg) save at the end.

I can see what you mean now about it being busy.

Regards, Dave

For once I don't think you need to correct the horizon; I would simply
    crop so that it's gone. The people and the sign are vertical enough for it
    not to matter. I'd try to clone out the distractions in the first post, too.
    Not an absolute technical masterpiece, more a decisive moment because
    of the sign, and well seen.