Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying 2 cameras with 500mm and 70-200 at same time?

Real Name
    Matthew

Carrying 2 cameras with 500mm and 70-200 at same time?

For my upcoming Yellowstone trip, I am going to be shooting two camera bodies, one with my 500 f4, and one with my 70-200 f4. I want to have both rigs on me at the same time, and be able to switch back and forth as needed for various wildlife subjects (close / far / large / small). I'm trying to map out how to pull this off.

My initial thought is to get a shoulder strap (such as the black rapid sport) for the 70-200 rig, and then carry the 500 on the tripod/gimbal setup as usual.

My main concern with that idea is, how much the camera and lens on the shoulder strap will swing around when I walk/hike. I will not be able to stabilize it because my hands will be full with the tripod and big lens.

I also wonder what it will be like to be walking with the 500mm + tripod, see something I want to shoot with the 70-200, put down the tripod, make sure it's stable, and then grab the 70-200 and shoot. Perhaps too slow and difficult? Also once I put the tripod and 500 down, I can't move too far from the 70-200 since I don't want to leave my 500 up for grabs to anybody happening by.

Final complication, I like to get really low shots for wildlife (crawling or crouching), and I wonder how that would go with the 70-200 dangling off my body.

For a split second, I considered the insane idea of carrying both cameras on a shoulder strap (like some kind of harness setup or something), but decided that would be too much weight pulling down on me, swinging around, and then I would not have a tripod at all.

Have any of you shot with a multiple body setup such as this, and how did you pull it off?
    Also, how do you like the black rapid sport, if you've used it?

Thanks

p.s. my main body will be the 7D mk II which I LOVE, and the secondary with my my old 7D...unless I can find some way to afford a second 7D mk II by the time the trip rolls around

p.s p.s. When is Canon coming out with a 28-600mm lens with built in 1.4x ? JK

Real Name
    John

Re: Carrying 2 cameras with 500mm and 70-200 at same time?

Matt - You have a tough problem to solve and I don't have a good suggestion for you.

I would like to respond to your question about the Black Rapid straps which I use and really like. You are correct in that the camera needs some further restraint when you are moving around. When I am moving I virtually always have a hand around the camera lens to keep it from swinging. I would forget getting close to the ground unless you are using the camera that is on the strap.

My original strap is one of their earlier ones where the shoulder pad has straight sides and it works alright. I recently bought one of their Yeti straps which can be configured to carry one or two cameras for use at a event I was covering. I found it to be much more comfortable probably due to the curved shape of the pad which is much like the Sport that you asked about. I carried a D7000 with a 24-70mm and a D800 with a 70-200 f/4 several hours with absolutely no discomfort of any sort. I think they are great straps but may not be the best when you are also carrying the second camera on a tripod.

You might take a look at Cotton Carrier Camera Systems. Their approach is to have the camera hung on a quick release type mount which can be on a belt or harness. They have a harness that keeps the camera securely attached close to your shoulder. It looks like a setup that would allow you excellent freedom while using your other camera. Take a look at their products.

Whatever you decide, sounds like you are going to have a great trip.

John

Real Name
    Ken

How about taking a porter/caddie (wife, partner etc), same as big game hunters or golf pros use. He/she can carry the one that you are not using and offer pertinent advise. (Perhaps they could carry refreshments, collapsible chair, umbrella, etc as well)

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ken MT View Post
    How about taking a porter/caddie (wife, partner etc), same as big game hunters or golf pros use. He/she can carry the one that you are not using and offer pertinent advise. (Perhaps they could carry refreshments, collapsible chair, umbrella, etc as well)
    I was going to ask if taking a guide along with you might be a good idea, that would at least alleviate his concern about leaving gear unattended.

Matt, I recently saw someone using a Spider Holster Pro. It is a belt system for heavier cameras/gear and comes in a 1 or 2 holster design. The photographer using it seemed really happy with it.

Real Name
    Dan

Matt, what you mentioned is exactly what I and nearly every long lens tog I've run into does. Long lens on the pod carried over the shoulder, shorter lens on a shoulder strap. One hand on the pod, the other on the second body to keep it from swinging too much. If you know you're going to be on a long hike(i.e. more than a mile or so), then breaking the long rig down and putting it in a pack is advised. Or if it won't fit in your pack with camera mounted on the 500, maybe carry it by the foot and put the pod in the bag. Then in a pinch you can shoot hand held if you stumble upon that griz mom and cubs. Assuming she doesn't eat your face off

Dude, you think too much. You'll figure it out half way through your first day on site.

Real Name
    Mark

I have a ThinkTank holster, which is a shoulder strap rig, and it holds my D600 with a 70-200 f4 on it nicely for trail walking.

I stitched on two stainless steel rings - one at either edge of the bottom of the holster, so I could clip on a simple adjustable waist belt. This very effectively keeps the rig from swinging around and it stays where I put it.

If I'm going steeply uphill, I shimmy it around to dead in front so my thigh doesn't bump it on the up-steps. On the level, I swing it around to the side, and it stays there.

The camera strap goes loosely over my head, too. It's insurance. I drop things.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I have both a Cotton Carrier for two cameras and of course also the Orange Sport Rapid. On a hike, the Cotton Carrier seems to be more steadier because with the Rapid strap, everything seems to be moving around. Maybe because I have shorter legs or something...with a Cotton Carrier, you also have the option for a Steady Shot option that can connect to the vest so you do not have to carry your tripod. I have only used the Steady Shot once three years ago now and haven't had the chance to use it again.

Real Name
    Richard

I always carry two cameras (both 7D) and usually one pair of lenses.

When I am carrying my 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses (my standard kit) I will carry the camera with the mid-range zoom around my neck on a strap and carry the 70-200mm in a holster case. This works just fine. In fact, the holster case has a front pocket which holds a wallet perfect for storing CF cards. It is attached to the pocket with an elastic strap preventing loss from dropping the wallet.

However, when I am carrying two long lenses, that is a different animal completely. I don't trust my camera swinging around from a Black Rapid Strap which is mounted to the tripod socket. IMO that socket is never intended to carry the weight of a camera and long lens swinging from it upside down. https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Instead I carry the two cameras using an OPTECH Dual Harness http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Du.../dp/B002IUQ180.

I like the Dual Harness because it is IMO a safer way to carry a camera because the straps to either camera attachment point are independent so if one strap would fail (or be cut) the camera/lens will not drop. The Dual Harness also distributes the weight of the cameras/lenses across my shoulders.

I have a Kirk MPA-2 tilt head on my monopod or, if I am carrying my tripod, it has a ball head with Arca clamp (or I might use my Manfrotto Gimbal). I really like using a monopod whenever possible and since my longest lens is a 400mm f/5.6L, that is no big problem. The reason that I like a monopod is that I am growing old and depend on the monopod as a walking stick over rough ground. I could carry the long lens attached to the tripod AND attached to the dual harness if I wished to.

I have Arca plates on the tripod rings of both lenses. I can switch the cameras/lenses from hand held to tripod mounted very easily. I can also disconnect the camera from the Dual Harness with quick disconnect snaps.

I always have a lightweight carabiner clasps on the side adjustment straps of my shooting vest. I can clip the holster case, or both cameras hanging from my Dual Harness to my vest. That stops the swinging and is a safety factor.

The Dual Harness is also lightweight and (while this isn't a great concern) it is relatively inexpensive.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th March 2015 at 11:33 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ...IMO that socket is never intended to carry the weight of a camera and long lens swinging from it upside down. https://www.google.com/search?q=blac...sm=93&ie=UTF-8...
    I'm not making the connection between your statement about the socket relative to the linked articles, Richard. I was curious so went to the link and all of the articles that I opened were describing a common failure point of the black rapids straps. None said anything about the socket itself. Was there a specific article about the tripod socket failing? I'm curious/concerned as that is how I carry all of my gear and would like to understand the mode of failure.

Real Name
    Richard

Dan,

I don't have any anecdotal or actual evidence regarding the tripod socket. As I said in the statement, it is MY OPINION that the tripod socket is not designed for supporting a camera beneath it, rather it is designed to support the camera above it with with the weight of the camera primarily resting on the tripod. I know that some Canon Rebel cameras have plastic tripod sockets reinforced to some degree with metal threads, those especially might be prone to failure...

I do know that at least one Chinese knock off of the Black Rapid used inferior materials for the attachment screws which did fail. I have not seen these specific straps on eBay anymore. However the faults of these knockoffs should not paint all the Rapid Straps black (pun intended).

There are still "Black Rapid" straps for under ten U.S. Dollars on eBay. I strongly suspect that they are not "Black rapid" straps but rather black rapid type straps made by some unknown manufacturer in China. I definitely would not trust an expensive camera/lens to one of these!

BTW: in addition to using the carbinier clip to prevent swinging, the two attachment points of the Dual Harness vs. the single attachment point of the Black Rapid type strap, would IMO make that way of carrying the camera/lens less prone to swinging around...

If I am wrong in not trusting the Black Rapid concept it will not cause me any problems, but if a Black Rapid user is wrong, well... Maybe I am too cautious but, as they say in the carnival midway, "you pays your money and takes your chances"...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 16th March 2015 at 01:19 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Oh. I just thought I missed the relevant article.

Personally I use a military type rifle strap and a re-purposed bit of hardware for the connection to the tripod socket. I figure if men in combat trust it to tote their weapons it's probably good enough for camera gear. It's not the most comfortable strap for long days but it is quiet and durable. I'm currently fussing around with adapting the fastening portions of the military strap to one of the more comfortable knockoff BR straps. Tinker, tinker....

Real Name
    Matthew

Thanks a lot to every single person who responded. This has been EXTREMELY helpful, and gave me tons of things to look into and consider. After looking at and considering various options and taking into account what has been noted here, I have decided to try the Cotton Carrier side holster Amazon link. Everything about it looks awesome. What I like about it:

The weight is primarily on your waist/hip, as opposed to your shoulder
    Looks more stable than black rapid due to the connection method and side holster plate
    There is a tether, which looks like a decent backup in case the main connection fails
    All parts are modular (perfect for experimentation, upgrading, customizing and DIY)

I am looking forward to getting this in a few days and trying it out. I am assuming I can connect the mounting disc to the lens collar foot. I have a feeling this is the ticket for me, but if not, I have plenty of time to customize / DIY / or try other products.

I will let you guys know how it goes, and thanks again for your assistance. I probably would never have looked at this product had you not mentioned it!

Dan, I already have a phobia of bears, so thanks for the wonderful picture of the grizz tearing me to pieces BTW do you ever carry bear spray?

Real Name
    Richard

I expect that I could find this out for myself but, can you modify the Cotton camera slot to work with an Arca compatible quick release plate?

I wore a ton of gear around my waist as a combat cameraman and didn't like how it chaffed me on a tropical climate. I would guess that the chaffing would be even worse now that I am a fat old man...

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    ...can you modify the Cotton camera slot to work with an Arca compatible quick release plate?
    Richard, that is absolutely brilliant!!! I will look at how it is designed and determine if I could customize it. Awesome idea!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel View Post
    ...Dan, I already have a phobia of bears, so thanks for the wonderful picture of the grizz tearing me to pieces BTW do you ever carry bear spray?
    I only carry bear spray in locations that won't allow a shotgun

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I only carry bear spray in locations that won't allow a shotgun
    1. How do you carry the bear spray? Chest holster, waist belt clip, etc?
    2. I hear that when you shoot a grizzly, it just gets more pissed off

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrel View Post
    1. How do you carry the bear spray? Chest holster, waist belt clip, etc?
    Either on a belt holster or more typically in a leg pocket on cargo pants.
    2. I hear that when you shoot a grizzly, it just gets more pissed off
    Quite possible. Most probable with a hand gun. Which is why I tote a shotgun. But I'm not worried about being killed. I just don't want to be eaten. I hope to hurt them bad enough that they also die before they can eat me

The biggest risk with bear spray is finding oneself blinded by tears and sneezing uncontrollably in the vicinity of an angry bear.

We have a joke in Alaska about how you tell the difference between black bear scat and brown bear scat.

Black bear scat looks like blue berry compote. Brown bear scat smells like cayenne pepper and has little silver bells in it

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post

We have a joke in Alaska about how you tell the difference between black bear scat and brown bear scat.

Black bear scat looks like blue berry compote. Brown bear scat smells like cayenne pepper and has little silver bells in it
    All due respect for Dan's humor and wisdom, but worth noting that the rangers in Y'stone do recommend bear spray. In probably 20 weeks cumulative of backcountry travel there, I've only seen a few bears, and never used the spray. With all the hype about the bears, visitors there are clearly too blasé' about the Bison. Give them plenty of space.

Real Name
    Dan

There have been studies conducted ad nauseam on the topic of whether it is more advantageous to spray a bear with pepper or lead. Out of them the only bit of solid advice I have derived is that if one is not practiced with firearms, it is much easier to hit a target with a cloud of spray than with a bullet. Particularly when the shooter is under duress and the target is moving at 20 to 30 mph. One thing for certain is that once one decides to use firearms the stakes dramatically increase for all involved.

In any case, the VAST majority of documented bear attacks occur so quickly and unexpectedly that the victim does not have time to defend themselves. But that type of attack is defensive and not typically lethal. In situations where there is time to utilize the chosen method of defense, it is likely predatory behavior by the bear. In which case the stakes are already life or death and one also has time to be more deliberate with one's aim.

I think we've drifted from the topic of the OP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast