Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moscow Paleontological museum - perfect Soviet architecture

Real Name
    Pavel Suprun

Moscow Paleontological museum - perfect Soviet architecture

Moscow Paleontological museum is my favorite building. My dream was to visit it since my childhood (but I lived in another city!). When i first enter there it was like a miracle! My passion - all these dinosaurs and other fantastic extinct animals were there!
    I was there several times. When I grew up and became an architect I have noticed the beauty of this building. There are so many done for a children! Look at these interiors! Besides, the contests of children drawings are taking place there.
    No other building have ever made such strong impression on me, even Taj Mahal. I just love this building since my childhood.

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Moscow Paleontological museum - perfect Soviet architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Superka View Post
    I love this one. At first I thought, that's too bad about the fellow at the bottom, and was thinking crop or clone, but he gives the shot a different perspective and makes it more than just a nice snap with beautiful colours and content.

Wendy

Pavel

I'm not an architect, and don't know very much about architecture, but I'm genuinely interested to know what it is that makes a building such as this one beautiful in the eyes of an architect. I can appreciate that the functionality and purpose, the good design, and the efficiency may all add to its appeal to an arcihtect, but just looking at it it doesn't strike me as particularly attractive on the outside. Am I missing something? I do like ultra-modern buildings, such as the Lloyds building in London, or the Debenhams building in Birmingham, but they have something that attracts they eye and holds the interest, even if I don't understand the design concepts. Am I right in saying that to fully appreciate a modern building you have to know at least something of the ideas and aspirations behind its design and construction?

Real Name
    Pavel Suprun

This building is not so attractive to everybody, but it can be attractive to those who is very interested in contemporary architecture. It is like music of Penguin Cafe Orchestra, that is not so attractive to everybody like ... Tchikovsky, for example. It is simplicity and not attraction.

Real Name
    John

We have a building that houses the Burchfield Penney Art Gallery and it was criticized for its simplicity and lack of appeal, but the purpose of a gallery or museum is really to protect the artifacts inside. You would need a very talented architect and engineer to design a building that represents the style of the collection within.

This building is not so attractive to everybody, but it can be attractive to those who is very interested in contemporary architecture. It is like music of Penguin Cafe Orchestra, that is not so attractive to everybody like ... Tchikovsky, for example. It is simplicity and not attraction.