Thread: Wine Photographed in a Rare Style -- Take 2

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Wine Photographed in a Rare Style -- Take 2

After seeing helpful comments about my first photo of this style displayed in this thread, I decided to make a second photo. Though the photo shown below is done in the same basic style, it's different enough that I felt it would be ideal to start a new thread.

Setup
    The same as used in the other photo with the exception of how I lit the wine. That difference is explained below.

Major Changes
    Perspective: Some people wished the three-dimensional aspect of the top surface of the wine would be displayed. I changed the perspective of the image to make that happen and I like the results. Only the tiniest bit of a three-dimensional characteristic is displayed in the rim of the glass in this version. You have to look closely to see it and probably will have to view the largest size in the Lytebox. Whether or not the three dimensions are easily seen in the rim doesn't matter to me.

Lighting the Wine: Rather than light the wine by shining a lamp on white foam core placed behind the wine, this time I used cream poster board. Rather than center the light on the background, this time I shined it off-center to create a gradient from left to right in the color of the wine.

Adding Texture to the Wine: I added grain during post-processing to make the wine look a bit less "milky."

Wine Photographed in a Rare Style -- Take 2
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 7th March 2015 at 03:12 PM.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Wine Photographed in a Rare Style -- Take 2

Very good Mike and shows the alternative perspective well. Not sure which I prefer as both are equally good .

Another alternative would seem to be the perspective that comes between the two but I have a suspicion this would not look so pleasing

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Mike,

Also, absolutely gorgeous but the 1st is my favourite for the gold tones, illusion seen in the rim and for the lines of the highlights.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 7th March 2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: decided on my favourite

Real Name
    John

Nicely done.

Thanks, guys!

Grahame: You suggested using a perspective that displays the three-dimensional aspect of both the rim and the top surface of the wine but that doing so perhaps wouldn't be attractive. I think it would be attractive and chose the perspective in this photo only because the mood happened to strike me at the time.

Real Name
    Bobo

*****PERFECTION*****
    10 stars awarded.

Now that Bobo has posted in this thread, I am using my self-awarded privilege as the OP to direct everyone's attention to the marvelous accomplishment he has achieved by becoming a finalist in the Smithsonian Annual Photo contest. See this thread to join me in congratulating him!

Real Name
    Binnur

Very nice image. The perspective in this image is more usual.