Thread: Hand-held rev counter - C & C welcome

Real Name
    Call me "Norm"

Hand-held rev counter - C & C welcome

I found this tool in my Dad's toolbox many years ago.
    I've tried to capture the detail of dials.
    They are crops of the originals with Sharpening in Picasa 3 - Fuji FinePix SL300

Hand-held rev counter   -  C & C welcomeHand-held rev counter (2) by taffopol, on Flickr
    Aperture-priority ƒ/3.1
    4.3 mm
    1/105
    ISO 400

Hand-held rev counter   -  C & C welcomeHand-held rev counter (1) by taffopol, on Flickr
    Aperture-priority ƒ/3.1
    4.3 mm
    1/180
    ISO 400

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Re: Hand-held rev counter - C & C welcome

I am a tool loving person but I do not know many tools at all, just what is mine and that of my late dad-in-law's. I like both versions of this. Different backgrounds. I thought I prefer #1 best when expanded but unexpanded, I cannot choose which one I really prefer.

This sort of scene is so difficult to photograph well. The shiny areas need to be bright but just below over exposure; so you have done well.

And there are two options for the shadows; very light/non existent or strong heavy shadows?

I tend to prefer the second version because a plainer background creates less distraction and adds a little more interest to the main subject.

Real Name
    raymond

I too tend to prefer pic #@ the details seems sharper due to the contrast in my opinion.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Your tool interested me, to the point that I checked http://www.ebay.com/bhp/starrett-speed-indicator
    The image though needs more light.

Real Name
    Richard

Normally when I shoot just about anything that has engraving or other writing in it, I tend to want the major portion of the writing easily read, rather than upside down (ie: writing on the dial)... I tried just flipping the image 180 degrees but, that didn't work for me...

I did add some structure (with NIK Viveza 2 as well as a tint bit of extra contrast.

Real Name
    Call me "Norm"

[QUOTE=rpcrowe;495899]Normally when I shoot just about anything that has engraving or other writing in it, I tend to want the major portion of the writing easily read, rather than upside down (ie: writing on the dial)... [...]
    Good tip - thanks

Real Name
    Call me "Norm"

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Your tool interested me, to the point that I checked http://www.ebay.com/bhp/starrett-speed-indicator
    The image though needs more light.
    I didn't realise it was that old - thanks

Real Name
    Nandakumar

Very nice; i think black and white suits the subject better

I like your photos, I think the amount of lighting sort of depends on the mood you are in when you shoot the photo and maybe it could of been light a little more, or maybe at a little more aggressively lite with a sharper light angle to bring out the fine details but all in all, nice tones.

Richard's comment really hit home with me as far as shooting so that the subject with fine writing can be read. I know that can't fit every need but does seem like a logical rule of thumb.

I haven't heard the name Sterrett in a while but I know that particular tool was used for allot of applications back in the day. There are several versions of speed indicator tools made but the first time I've seen one of these was at an antique tractor show. They used this device to regulate the speed of the pto on the older tractors. The pto, or "power take-off" was the revolving wheel or pulley on the old tractors that powered other tools, gins, augers, threshers and what-nots. The revolver tool you have would count the revolutions per minute so that the operator could adjust the engine speed. This was done to best suit the partucalar need of the pto speed depending on what's being done. This is just one application of this little tool but one rarely mentioned these days. Sorry, little things like this excite me.

For anyone with minutes to kill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLnwgp6YcM

Thanks! Your photo made my morning.
    Last edited by Texas Dave; 6th March 2015 at 04:36 PM.

Real Name
    Call me "Norm"

Thanks for your comments, nice to have "made your morning" .

Lighting was natural light - a nice bright sunny day but the sun hadn't reached the window behind me.

I'm not at all sure one would be allowed to use such a tool (officially) here in the UK, what with current safety legislation.
    I enjoyed the video.