Thread: Try again ... with a different approach

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Try again ... with a different approach

Yesterday, I started this thread with an image I called 'The Final Resting Place'. And I was very pleased with it.

But as I thought about this morning as I was printing it, I saw a different image in my head. So, with Garry my dog at my side, off we headed again. In Post #20 of the other thread, in my response to Matt, I referred to the angle of view and how I looked at trying to get the cemetery and the hill lined up. Well, today involved scrambling over gates and through a field, but we got there.

But more significantly, what I saw in my head was an image more inspired by Adams' 'Moonrise, Hernadez, New Mexico'. I've never tried one of these 'darken up the sky' images before. But the snow-covered hill seemed to steer me towards that.

Again, thoughts and comments are very welcome.

7DMkII, 70-200mm f/4L IS
    Last edited by Donald; 4th March 2015 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Try again ... with a different approach

Nicely done, very crisp capture of the mountain range and the foreground is very subtle. Although the uppermost portion of the sky is very dark, the overall image reads like a progression of night, afternoon, and dusk.

The dynamics of this version is bolder and more to my liking, albeit, I think it's a bit to dark now, especially in the shadows of the hedgerow and timber in the foreground of the mountains.

The cemetery still seems to distant and somewhat of a secondary thought. I love the content and have a somewhat grasp of what you're going after but I think I would explore an elevated shot from the bend in the road.
    Last edited by Texas Dave; 4th March 2015 at 10:37 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Garry did another great job!

I like this image just as much as the other one, though they are completely different images to me and I'm not referring to the color of the sky. In the other image, the cemetery is the primary subject for me. In this one, the mountain is the primary subject.

You mentioned Moonrise by Ansel Adams. I instead think of his Winter Sunrise, seen here, where the role of the light around the horse is the same as the role of your cemetery.

It must be very, very satisfying to realize that you have made two such wonderful images of the cemetery. So, I just have to ask: is your wife buried here?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    So, I just have to ask: is your wife buried here?
    No, Mike. Sheila was cremated. Later this year (in May) I will be travelling to the north-west corner of Scotland (where we had our last holiday/vacation together in September 2014). There I wil be hiring/renting a man and his boat (already have spoken to him) to take me out into the stretch of water between the Scottish mainland and the western isles. This strip of water is known as The Minch. And off Stoerhead Lighthouse, where we spent wonderful times, including a day whale & dolphin watching, I will scatter her ashes.

The first picture here shows Sheila sitting on the ground looking out to sea as David Haines carries out a controlled, timed whale watch for scientific recording. The second is my image of Stoerhead Lighthouse. The water beyond the lighthouse that you can see in this image is where I will scatter Sheila's ashes.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Such a wonderful story of your plans, Donald. Thanks so much for sharing it. By the way, I wonder if you realize how many serious photographers would love to be able to make such nice images as those last two, especially the last one, even though you were sharing them to help explain your plans.

My mother's ashes were also scattered in the ocean at her request. She loved to travel, so she asked that her ashes be taken by the seas "to the four corners of the world."

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    By the way, I wonder if you realize how many serious photographers would love to be able to make such nice images as those last two, especially the last one, even though you were sharing them to help explain your plans.
    Thank you, Mike. What I love about the first of those is that Garry (yep, that's my dog) obviously got bored with looking for whales and found the sheep on the hillside (just out of shot on the right) much more interesting.

Real Name
    Barbara

Donald, fist I must send my condolences. I was not a contributing member when she passed and did not realize it until this post. Your images are beautiful and I am sure she would be happy that you and Garry are once again behind the camera. How wonderful of you to choose such a beautiful place for her ashes to be scattered. Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Dan

Hi, Donald. Regarding the image in the OP, it is a good example of how the same basic locaton/subject can be rendered competely different. Nicely done and what was really done well in both cases was simply identifying the opportunity.

The second set of images are awesome in and of themselves. Along with the accompanying story, well words fail me.

Real Name
    Brian

Donald, if you had not brought up your plans I would not make this suggestion. Please accept it with the respect it is offered.

With your new version perhaps the addition of one lone twinkling star set as a guiding light might work with this shot?

My condolences for your loss.
    Brian
    Last edited by JBW; 5th March 2015 at 03:53 AM. Reason: stupidity

Real Name
    Binnur

Hi Donald. So sorry to hear about your loss. I knew your wife was ill but I didn't know you lost her. May be it is because of that I was away for about two months because I was busy with my very old dog's health and unfortunatelly I lost him too.

I agree with Mike that this image is different from the other one and the cemetery is not the main subject. But I like the composition very much with the bending road. The very top part of the image seems a bit too dark to me , but may be it is because I still don't know very much about B&W photography and trying to improve my knowledge by reading about it.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

A very interesting lesson for anyone who might be interested.

I've just printed this image onto Permajet's Delta Matt Fibre Base 271 paper. Using Epson's 'Advanced B & W' tool for printing my B & Ws, I find I rarely have to make any adjustment to such as brightness or contrast fro the purposes of printing, although we know that common understanding is that we usually do have to boost contrast when using the more 'traditional' colour management controls for printing.

However, with this one, which as I said, is the first time I've tried this 'really darken up the sky' approach, my first effort at printing using my normal workflow, was awful. It was really flat. It had no 'punch' whatsoever. So, I went back in and using Epson's Advanced B & W Adjustments palette, I brightened the highlights and boosted contrast.

Now I've got what appears on the screen and am very happy with it. The lesson seems to be that with this sort of tonal range in an image, you really have to put in a bit of extra work to get the print the way you want it.

Real Name
    Matt

I can't complain about this one Donald

Love this shot, I was actually looking through Adams work on the web site yesterday after I seen your first image.

Agree with Mike though reminds me of Winter Sunrise more, beautiful

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Agree with Mike though reminds me of Winter Sunrise more, beautiful
    I feel ashamed to admit I'd forgotten about Winter Sunrise. Must have been subliminal thinking that led me to 'see' the image as above.