Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why cameras do not include the capabilities of cheap programmable remote shutters ?

Real Name
    Joan

Why cameras do not include the capabilities of cheap programmable remote shutters ?

I have just bought the following programmable remote shutter for my 6D:

Why cameras do not include the capabilities of cheap programmable remote shutters ?

It is a cheap Chinese product and I have nothing to say about it. It simply does what it is supposed to do.

Now my question: why is not included in the firmware of the cameras the possibility to program a given set of time lapse pictures, to delay any given time the shooting of a picture, to expose the shot any given amount of time, etc... etc... It should be quite easy ! Why do we need to purchase a separate gadget to do something that should pretty easy to include in all the cameras ? It is just a (quite easy) programming issue ... :-(
    Last edited by Joan; 4th March 2015 at 05:59 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Why cameras do not include the capabilities of cheap programmable remote shutters

My first guess would be limited demand.

Time lapse is really more of a video than still function, as the output tends to be a video file. The video capabilities of still cameras are somewhat limited, so adding the additional work in firmware is really not going to be a real game changer for the camera company. In Canon's case, it would be directly competing with some of its higher end offerings.

My "pro" video camera has this functionality, but it too is somewhat limited (the interval selection is fairly limited), so if I want anything outside of the built-in settings, I have to buy an external timer.

Frankly, built in GPS, remote control via table or smart phone would be of far more interest to me.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Why cameras do not include the capabilities of cheap programmable remote shutters

On the other hand, Joan, isn't it nice that such an inexpensive item is the solution to your needs?! I can relate because I learned here at CiC a couple weeks ago about a similarly inexpensive item that completely solved a huge problem for me.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

It isn't a remote shutter it is an intervalometer and many Nikons do have them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    My first guess would be limited demand.

Time lapse is really more of a video than still function, as the output tends to be a video file. The video capabilities of still cameras are somewhat limited, so adding the additional work in firmware is really not going to be a real game changer for the camera company. In Canon's case, it would be directly competing with some of its higher end offerings.

My "pro" video camera has this functionality, but it too is somewhat limited (the interval selection is fairly limited), so if I want anything outside of the built-in settings, I have to buy an external timer.

Frankly, built in GPS, remote control via table or smart phone would be of far more interest to me.
    NOT just for time lapse, I have often set a camera up to capture wildlife, such as field mice, with a flash, set to 999 at 5 second intervals

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    I have just bought the following programmable remote shutter for my 6D:

Now my question: why is not included in the firmware of the cameras -(
    They DO just not on cheap(er) cameras

Real Name
    Phil Page

If anyone can, Canon can

Oh, my bad, they can't

As Jeremy pointed out, some Nikons can

On a positive note, at least you didn't spring x15 time the cash for a Canon version

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    They DO just not on cheap(er) cameras
    6D does not have these capabilities and it is not the cheapest camera from Canon....

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    It isn't a remote shutter it is an intervalometer and many Nikons do have them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is:

- a remote shutter
    - intervalometer
    - long exposure timer
    - delayed shutter
    - multi shooting
    - and ANY combination of the above....

Even if it does a lot of things, all of these things are very easy to program....

Real Name
    Kathy

Because Magic Lantern exists?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

^^^ rolling on the floor laughing at what she said

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

How do you build-in a remote shutter?

I certainly agree that many of the timer functions could be available on a camera menu. My Nikon D800 has a reasonable amount of timer functions built-in.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    How do you build-in a remote shutter?
    You use the built-in microphone as sound-based input. (I.e., you can clap your hands to take a picture).

Real Name
    George

You can also wonder why there is no tripod included.

George

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    You use the built-in microphone as sound-based input. (I.e., you can clap your hands to take a picture).
    Surly then your hands are the remote?.. The sensing mike is not. Actually it was a light hearted comment (and continues to be) on semantics and certainly the ability to use clapping or flash light etc etc shutter triggering could be useful.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    It is:

- a remote shutter
    - intervalometer
    - long exposure timer
    - delayed shutter
    - multi shooting
    - and ANY combination of the above....

Even if it does a lot of things, all of these things are very easy to program....
    My D5200 does most of these
    I hardly use many of those though

Real Name
    Dave

My gx7 has an intervalometer.

Perhaps more relevantly, it has WiFi, and Panasonic have an app for a smart phone to provide remote control. I suspect that is the way ahead.

Dave

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    You can also wonder why there is no tripod included.

George
    Perhaps because tripod has a manufacturing cost (raw materials, assembly, packing...), while adding a few bytes of code should not increase the production cost of the camera ?

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    My gx7 has an intervalometer.

Perhaps more relevantly, it has WiFi, and Panasonic have an app for a smart phone to provide remote control. I suspect that is the way ahead.

Dave
    Probably in the long term you are right, but my 6D has Wifi connection and there is a fancy app for the iPhone allowing to remotely shoot and to do a lot of things with the 6D, but pairing the 2 elements for me is a pain in the ass and I very seldom use it.

Real Name
    Joan

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Because Magic Lantern exists?

Another version of my original question: why Canon cameras do not include all the bells and whistles of magic lantern ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast