Thread: Has anyone used Canon maintenance service?

Real Name
    Matthew

Has anyone used Canon maintenance service?

Just curious if anyone here has used the Canon maintenance service, and what the experience was like?

Also, do you have to pay for shipping both ways, or just to them?

I have a 500mm f4 and 7d mkII that I would like to have professionally cleaned, and I would really only trust Canon to do it. I imagine the lens would come back with front element looking almost new. I've never even touched the front element of my 500mm (I use a rocket blower for dust only) - believe me, when you have an $11K piece of glass, you aren't too thrilled about the possibility of marring it. Surely my camera sensor has some dust building up in there, too. I have cleaned camera sensors in the past, but never felt like I got the results I wanted. I was also afraid I was going to damage it, and in one case, I did ruin a sensor (which I used as an excuse to buy a better camera). Before doing it myself, I tried a shop service, and the sensor came back as bad as when it went in.
    Last edited by FlyingSquirrel; 2nd March 2015 at 12:36 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Has anyone used Canon maintenance service?

Well you should get a couple hundred replies to this thread

Real Name
    Haseeb Modi

I hope not.

Real Name
    Matthew

Let's do this: If anyone has used Canon maint svcs and has anything constructive to say, please send me a PM. Otherwise I guess we can let this die gracefully

Real Name
    Dan

Sorry, Matt

Real Name
    Matthew

No worries, Dan. As was mentioned recently by you, and others on this forum, we've been privileged to be part of a fantastic community, which, compared to most other forums, has been relatively friendly and helpful to this point. I'm just trying to keep things on track.

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Matt, I note that you live in the USA. I have used a Canon repair service in the UK for lens repairs. 17-85 zoom ribbon cable, and have had no problems. Others in my camera club have as well with no reported problems. I have an Artic Butterfly I use to clean my 7d sensor with no problems. I have also used it on my 5dmkiii with no problems.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I've never used Canon's own repair service. In Scotland, we have one Canon authorised repair centre located in the city of Glasgow. But I understand they take in repair work from all over the world. Before I started doing it myself, I got sensors cleaned there. I've also had one repair job done. What was so good about was the air of confidence these guys gave that they really knew what they were about. This wasn't some sort of flash, slick, front of house selling job. These guys were highly skilled technicians and it showed. I was very happy with the work.

Just for interest - this is their website.