Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenses are like beef...

Real Name
    Dan

Lenses are like beef...

So unless you're born well-to-do, you roll along in life eating hamburgers(or whatever the un-rich eat in your country). And maybe you love hamburgers. I do. Then one day you get to go to the local XYZ Steak House and try a steak that costs twice as much as a hamburger. Hmmm. It's OK but not all that great. Heck it's even harder to chew. You decide to stick with hamburgers. They've served you well, you can afford them, and besides, you enjoy them.

Years and hamburgers go by until someone invites you out to dinner. They're paying. They take you to a place that advertises "prime beef". As you sit and look at the menu, the person who invited you suggests a particular steak. "It'll melt in your mouth. They put a sear on it that seals in the juice. It's basted in herb butter. And they let it rest the perfect amount of time before they put it on the table."

Well you weren't impressed with the steaks you've had before. But you don't want to be rude. So you agree with the recommendation and order the steak. A few minutes later, it comes to the table. Well it certainly looks different than any steak you've ever eaten. You cut a piece and put it in your mouth.... OMG

And so it is with camera lenses. Until the past couple of years, all I owned were zoom lenses. They're very practical both for a technical and financial standpoint. Over time I did upgrade to higher quality. And when I could finally afford it, my first "pro" grade lens was the Nikkor 200-400mm f4 VR. It's one fine lens. Then a couple of years ago, someone took me out for steak. I rented a Nikkor 600mm f4 for a week. OMG

Since then I've picked up a couple of "prime" lenses. But one that I've always wanted it a 300mm f2.8. The perennial sharpest, highest quality telephoto made. In the Nikkor line, only the 200mm f2 outperforms it. So I recently came across an opportunity to pick up a good condition used one at a reasonable cost. I got it today and took it out for a spin. The only ready subjects were Grace and a neighbor's dog. The lighting was terrible and it was snowing slightly. It didn't matter

Just like "prime beef", there's a reason they call them "prime lenses"...

Nikon D810, Nikkor 300mm f2.8, handheld
    1/1000s f2.8 ISO800

Uploaded large so best viewed in the light box.

1) An action shot. Cropped about half of original frame.

Lenses are like beef...

2) Easier shot. Classic focus on the eyes technique. Full frame other than cropped to 8x10 format.

Lenses are like beef...

3) Cropped from the frame after the one above shot in burst mode.

Lenses are like beef...

4) This is Orion, a vizsla. The vizsla is the Hungarian contribution to bird pointing breeds. Cropped slightly.

Lenses are like beef...

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Re: Lenses are like beef...

Beef ---- Hamburgers (made of Pork),,,,,,,,,,,, what

Sorry I have to disagree with the need for Fixed primes

1. Depends on WHAT zoom you buy, mine are the best Nikon 70-200 f2.8, 80-400 NANO, 14-24 f2.8, and even then Sigma 150-600.

Also I would put any decent zoom against a prime using the same body, same day, same lighting and wager no one could see the difference.

You also have very limited use for a prime unlike a zoom. Take any sport, and yes many will use primes, but many also use zooms, when the subject moves close you zoom out, when it moves away you zoom in, do that with a prime.

From what you are saying everyone who uses zooms either can not afford a prime or has no idea how good they are. I could buy a few today, I spent quite a lot last year and believe me a prime was the last lens on my mind.

Also I don't fancy carrying a 28mm, 50mm 80mm, 120mm, 180mm, 200mm, 250mm, 300mm when I can carry a 28-300 Nikkor

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Jeremy I think someone is bound to try and convince you of the error of your ways. I look forward to seeing the posts you trigger....

In the meantime I have to confess the 28-300 sits on my camera most of the time.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

There must be a reason that my go-to lenses are a 180 macro and a 300 f/2.8.
    Gee whiz...might it have something to do with the MFT charts of primes in general.

There is no variable zoom that can match those charts or the edge to edge sharpness of a prime.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    Also I would put any decent zoom against a prime using the same body, same day, same lighting and wager no one could see the difference.
    What test and assessment criteria do you base this on Jeremy?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

An entertaining read Dan, thank you.

Although - when I saw the thread title and first image I thought you were suggesting that when a dog sees a lens they rush towards it to lick it

Looks good to me, enjoy
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st March 2015 at 10:28 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

We don't need to get in to another prime vs zoom debate/argument here (please)

Dan has a new lens, is pleased with it and enjoying it, both while shooting and in PP, where I'm sure he will see a difference between zoom and prime.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 1st March 2015 at 10:30 AM.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

OMG

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post

Dan has a new lens, is pleased with it and enjoying it, both while shooting and in PP, where I'm sure he will see a difference between zoom and prime.
    Well he did say his first "pro" grade lens was the 200-400mm, so at least he classified it as such.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Sorry, Dave. I tried my best to come up with an analogy to make the point that there is a place for both. I should have known better

Yes indeed! All of the above

Don't get me wrong. I still eat burgers a lot more frequently than steak. After all if one isn't going to take the time to cook it properly and to sit down and give it the attention it deserves at the table, well why bother?

Real Name
    John

Nice series, I think the best lens, prime or zoom, is the one you eventually buy and it becomes your "go to lens". My "go to lens" varies with the shooting situation, sometimes it's the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 and sometimes lately the 85mm f/1.8. When I'm in the middle of tightly compacted festivities, the camera and lens will change, usually the Olympus EPL-1 fitted with the 20mm f/1.7.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    There must be a reason that my go-to lenses are a 180 macro and a 300 f/2.8.
    Gee whiz...might it have something to do with the MFT charts of primes in general.

There is no variable zoom that can match those charts or the edge to edge sharpness of a prime.
    MTF Charts, say NOTHING at all in REAL LIFE

I know for a fact that in REAL LIFE no one here would know the difference between a photo taken on a Cannon, Nikon, Pentax etc with the same focal length.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Stagecoach View Post
    What test and assessment criteria do you base this on Jeremy?
    If you read what I said

Take a pentax, Nikon, Canon Olympus, put a 200mm prime on each
    take four more put a good quality zoom on at the same length
    Shoot all of them in the same light and same location

Print 8 A3+
    set them side by side

Pich and separate the primes from zooms, no, no one could let alone what the camera was.

Bet no one could say what lens/camera was used, OK

Charts are ok in the lab..................................

Oh and as for the analogy, I consider the first post quite insulting, Prime rib not burgers, "ALL I could afford were zooms..........."

So he is sayingig you can't afford a Prime you are using second best, tht is an insult to everyone with zooms and is NOT correct.

Now what shall I buy this year, two primes, D5, two primes, D5, nah...... D5
    Last edited by JR1; 1st March 2015 at 01:49 PM.

Real Name
    Eric

Hi Dan,

Thanks for a very entertaining little analogy there, I thoroughly enjoyed your tale and particularly enjoyed those excellent pictures!

I presently own a Nikkor 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 GII, a Tamron 60mm f/2.0 macro and a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 but recognise that, if I want to produce real quality shots, I'm eventually going to have to up my game. Why is life such a bunch of compromises :-(

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It seems as if you have the Kobe beef of prime lenses. (If you haven't ever had a steak made of Kobe beef, the experience could be just as uplifting...and will definitely be even more depleting of your wallet.) Enjoy your new lens!

Real Name
    Tobias Weber

Great little read, thanks for that Dan!

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    ...Oh and as for the analogy, I consider the first post quite insulting, Prime rib not burgers, "ALL I could afford were zooms..........."
    Not at all what was intended, Jeremy. Sorry you interpreted it that way. Shocking as it may seem, the OP was about me, not about you. My apologies for that.

OK, Dave. Shut 'er down...

Real Name
    wm c boyer

My Canon is better than your Nikon.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    My Canon is better than your Nikon.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    It seems as if you have the Kobe beef of prime lenses. (If you haven't ever had a steak made of Kobe beef, the experience could be just as uplifting...
    Once. At someone else's expense. And it was definitely an OMG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast