Thread: Monopod.......VC on or off?

Real Name
    John

Monopod.......VC on or off?

Hi Guys and girls,

I am fully up to speed with the VC having to be off on my Tamron lenses whilst mounted on a Tripod, but I have started using a monopod for some sports shots.

Does the same rule apply? I do get less shake than free holding, but more than when tripod mounted, so what would your advise be?

Many thanks in anticipation.

John

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Monopod.......VC on or off?

Don't know about VC but, with Canon IS; I have the stabilization on (most often) when using a monopod.

The reason I qualified this by saying, "most often", is that Canon has at least two versions of IS. The older version doesn't have a panning mode, so when using a lens with old IS (such as on the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens) - I shut off the stabilization when panning. When using the IS version with Mode I (non-panning) and Mode II (panning) I leave the IS on all the time choosing the correct Mode. I don't feel that the IS degrades my image or slows my auto focus in any measurable way.

Here is a sample shot using a 200mm f/4L IS lens, monopod mounted with stabilization on Mode II (panning)

Monopod.......VC on or off?

By the way, although Canon is pretty wishy-washy about whether to leave the new version of IS on when tripod mounted, they have always maintained that it is correct to leave IS on when monopod mounted...

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

As I understand VC means vibration control (I put this in, because I had to look up what this VC could mean; it is not easy to "follow" the cryptic names each brand gives to features).
    To my knowledge every manufacturer uses its own abbreviations, so it would be useful to know your exact camera/lens combination to give hints.
    Erwin

Real Name
    John

Thanks Richard.

The Tamron has a 4 way gyro, but this can't be separated like the Canon's can. I am edging towards leaving it on for the monopod.

J

Real Name
    John

Erwin,

I use the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 Di VC USD SP, and the Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 Di VC USD SP lenses mounted on a Nikon D7100 body.

Real Name
    Erwin Rüegg

Quote Originally Posted by PhotogRAFer View Post
    The Tamron has a 4 way gyro, but this can't be separated like the Canon's can. I am edging towards leaving it on for the monopod.J
    If you can not "separate", then I would go with your "edging" and suggest to leave the gyro on.
    Erwin

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi John

I used to have a Tamron 70-300 like yours. I found the VR to be a bit quirky. It takes a little while (maybe 1/2 sec) to engage after half pressing the shutter and shuts down a few seconds after that. It is certainly not suitable for long exposures on a tripod (as mentioned in the instruction booklet). For sports shots I think it would probably work much the same on a monopod as handheld so yes I would leave it on. But it would be worth doing a few test shots.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Thanks Dave,

I never use a long lens on a tripod, Just comparing it to the 24-70 which I do, as it is usually my go to lens for panning etc.. As for locking the focus, I use 'back-button' for that, which is great free-handed, so it looks like we agree on keeping it switched on when mounted on the monopod.

Thanks again.

J

Real Name
    John

I leave it on.

Real Name
    Robin

You know what the best thing to do is - try it for yourself.

Honestly - it's that simple.

Take some pictures with it on and some with it off and see what you think when you get the files on your computer.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thanks Dave,

I never use a long lens on a tripod, Just comparing it to the 24-70 which I do, as it is usually my go to lens for panning etc.. As for locking the focus, I use 'back-button' for that, which is great free-handed, so it looks like we agree on keeping it switched on when mounted on the monopod.

Thanks again.

J
    John just be careful with back button focusing and VR on the Tamron. The VR only stays activated for a few seconds after locking focus with bb so if there is a significant delay between focus lock and shutter operation you may not get the benefit of VR.

There was a discussion on this here a while ago.

Dave

Real Name
    John

Just had a good read of that thread Dave.....very interesting.
    I had noticed the lens going 'silent' before with regards the VC, thankfully I think I have been lucky with keeping things in focus.

May need to carry out some tests on the VC kicking in and staying on, before using BBF in anger again.

Thanks for the heads up.

PS. My first Sergeant in the RAF was a Dave Ellis.

Thanks again.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    John just be careful with back button focusing and VR on the Tamron. The VR only stays activated for a few seconds after locking focus with bb so if there is a significant delay between focus lock and shutter operation you may not get the benefit of VR.

There was a discussion on this here a while ago.

Dave
    I can't check it on my Nikon, I don't have VR-lenses left anymore. But what I understood is that original Nikon focussing with the bb is done without VR, but the newest camera's do it with VR. I think, am not sure, the idea behind this is that if you use the bb and later press the shutterbutton the VR wil be activated first and then the shutter, causing some delay.
    You don't need VR to focus.

George

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Hi Guys and girls,

I am fully up to speed with the VC having to be off on my Tamron lenses whilst mounted on a Tripod, but I have started using a monopod for some sports shots.

Does the same rule apply? I do get less shake than free holding, but more than when tripod mounted, so what would your advise be?

Many thanks in anticipation.

John
    Controvercial

I leave VR on and have never ever had a problem, some lenses like the new sigma 150-600 have a tripod setting, it can slow focus down but I have never noticed

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by george013 View Post
    I can't check it on my Nikon, I don't have VR-lenses left anymore. But what I understood is that original Nikon focussing with the bb is done without VR, but the newest camera's do it with VR. I think, am not sure, the idea behind this is that if you use the bb and later press the shutterbutton the VR wil be activated first and then the shutter, causing some delay.
    You don't need VR to focus.

George
    I should clarify that my experience was with the Tamron lens on a Canon camera. I now see that John has a Nikon and I can't say what happens with bb focus and VR on this lens on a Nikon.

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

I have never noticed any significant time lapse between pressing the shutter release button and IS kicking in when using my three main Canon IS equipped lenses: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS and 300mm f/4L IS. In other words, the IS doesn't slow down the focusing to any noticeable effect. Does this slow down happen with other stabilization systems to any noticeable degree?

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I have never noticed any significant time lapse between pressing the shutter release button and IS kicking in when using my three main Canon IS equipped lenses: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, 70-200mm f/4L IS and 300mm f/4L IS. In other words, the IS doesn't slow down the focusing to any noticeable effect. Does this slow down happen with other stabilization systems to any noticeable degree?
    Again, I don't have VR-lenses anymore so I can't check it. On Nikon-rumours I found a link to this video and question/answer list. Look at the second question. http://www.backcountrygallery.com/ph...ton-autofocus/
    Also notice that with the D800 and D4 VR is activated also with the AF-on button, older camera's not.

I use mine AE/AF button for holding an exposure value.

George

Real Name
    Yes

It seems to be that some experimenting is needed, what do individuals find works, and when is the camera too stable so that a hunnting IS/VC system result in lower image quality.