Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo sharing websites...

Real Name
    Matt

Re: Photo sharing websites...

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    One of the things I was told/read when I started using Facebook (I was a very late adopter), was to upload images as .pngs and not as .jpgs.

Now I have no idea whether that makes one bit of difference. But it's a habit I've got into (make a png and jpg of each image I think I'll upload).
    Interestingly I spotted an option for "High Quality" on Facebook last night, when uploading/creating an album:

Photo sharing websites...

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Interestingly I spotted an option for "High Quality" on Facebook last night, when uploading/creating an album:

Not a strange option since they may use your photo's.

George

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Without high quality option FB is worst and with the option selected its bad. Small difference...

Anyone using Flickr, can you please let me know how to share a particular album uploaded on Flickr with only specific audience without making it publicly available?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by mrinmoyvk View Post
    Anyone using Flickr, can you please let me know how to share a particular album uploaded on Flickr with only specific audience without making it publicly available?
    Okay.

• Go yo your albums and choose the album you wish to manage.
    • Choose 'Edit' from the menu bar
    • At the bottom left of the screen, just above the thumbnails, you see two small windows. That is where you carry out your album access management.

Real Name
    David

That is another factor to consider, I've "heard" that you transfer ownership of the images when you upload them to some of these websites.
    I had heard something similar and so checked out the Flickr terms and conditions.
    The Flickr terms and conditions directs to Yahoo T&C. in my case Yahoo Australia (so yours may vary).

There is a special sub-paragraph related to photo, graphics, audio and video.
    This is my interpretation/summary of what it says ( I have no legal training/qualifications whatsoever). You do not grant them ownership. You do grant them the right to use the photo for the purpose it was made available. If you remove the photo you revoke their rights to use the photo.
    It took me a couple of times to read. My eyes tend to glaze over when I start reading legalese.

I assume they need these rights. For example if someone retrieved one of your images in search, while they were in a public place, you might technically be able to sue Flickr/Yahoo for breach of copyright for reproducing your image in a public without permission, even though its just on someone's tablet in a public park or something. It probably lets them use your image on the front page of Flickr and stuff like that too. Maybe I'm naïve. I'm pretty sure they can't sell your image without your permission or anything like that.

If you are ever having trouble sleeping, google copyright law and start reading. You'll nod off in no time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12