Thread: Best way to sell camera kit?

Real Name
    Dave

Best way to sell camera kit?

In the not too distant future, I think I will want to offload some dslr kit.

I have assumed (I'm in the uk), that ebay is the obvious route, and since I have never sold there I am inclined to ask a friend who does have an established reputation to sell on my behalf (for a yet to be negotiated cut ). I expect we will sort out any buyer's questions between us. (Jeremy and others, I do have the boxes )

Does that sound sensible? Would be grateful for opinions and other options.

The kit is nothing fancy: Canon 600d/T3i, three zooms, a flash and a wireless remote.

Am I likely to do better selling as a complete set, or as individual items?

Many thanks for any help.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Best way to sell camera kit?

Dave

Don't know what the correct answer is re a complete set, or individual items.

The other online selling option to consider is Gumtree. I was pointed there, by a reputable retailer, to try and sell my Sigma 120-400. It is different in that you set a price, it's not an auction process. I couldn't tell you the relative merits of each. I've never bought or sold on online resource before, until this attempt with Gumtree. However, not having a lot of success so far.
    Last edited by Donald; 22nd February 2015 at 07:09 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Dave I went through this process a few months ago using ebay and had no trouble selling my kit as separate items. If I'm not mistaken I had a similar kit to yours. I thought about selling the 600D with the 17-70mm but decided against it in the end. I personally wouldn't recommend trying to sell the whole kit as one. I think you will have a bigger market for the individual items.

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

Dave...

One way to learn which way is the better way to sell your gear (as a kit or individually) is to do an advanced eBay search.

This is how it works on eBay USA and I would assume works the same on eBay U.K.

Go to Cameras/Photo> Digital cameras> Canon> then click on "advanced" which is to the right of the banner. Do not click on the blue search box at this time...

That will bring you to a screen that looks something like this. Type in the items you are interested in (in this case I typed "600D") and be sure to check the "COMPLETED AUCTIONS" box, then hit the blue "SEARCH" box

This will bring you to a list of completed auctions over the last several weeks. The successful auctions are listed with prices in green

You can play around with how you list the items and see how well they have sold...

Good luck!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 22nd February 2015 at 07:50 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

I've sold gear in at least 4 ways: posting on eBay, Craigslist (an online free classified ads site that is very big in the US), and photo forums that have for-sale sites, and selling to a large retailer that sells used gear (in my case, KEH, which is a very well established and reputable dealer). Based on very few datapoints, here is my experience:

-- Selling to a good retailer brings in the least money but is hassle-free. KEH evaluates your gear, and if I recall, they will ship it back if you don't agree with their price. Given that they have to mark it up, I found their prices fair, and it was the easiest method. I used this for a number of lenses that didn't sell when I posted them on photo sites.

-- eBay of course has a large random component, but on average, the prices tend to be better than resellers, and sometimes better than online ads because many people get caught up in the bidding. On the other hand, eBay takes a cut. You should post photos of the equipment. I post mine as no returns accepted, and I don't post a reserve price, since it doesn't seem to help.

-- posting on photo sites can bring in more money net than eBay, but it doesn't always work, and it can entail a lot of back-and-forth with potential buyers. I sold a number of lenses that way, but I had others that didn't sell, and at this point, I find it too much bother.