Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Interesting article on Peter Lik (who made the most expensive photo ever)

Real Name
    Dan

Interesting article on Peter Lik (who made the most expensive photo ever)

I found this article about Peter Lik in the New York Times very interesting.

Real Name
    Bill Dewey

Re: Interesting article on Peter Lik (who made the most expensive photo ever)

That is really an interesting article. We happen to have a Peter Lik photo on our wall, very similar to Phantom, but no dust and far less money, although it was still more than we should have paid. How anyone can claim that the Sherman photo is "art" and the work from "Lik" is "abomination" is simply beyond me, but then again what the heck do I know anyway? In the end it is simply someone's opinion. And marketing is so often the key to success.

Thanks for posting this, a great read that I will pass along.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Interesting article Dan. I have to honest here and say that I had never heard of Peter Lik, which is embarassing given he's an Aussie ! I dare say his work is of a high standard but does it warrant the financial success compared to that of others ? It just goes to show how clever marketing and a business focus can make a huge difference to the success of a commercial venture.

Dave

Real Name
    wm c boyer

His back patting brings to mind Thomas Kinkaid who used to boast that he was the only artist
    listed on the NYSE. Hiring a PR firm does tend to help.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I am with David here...I've never heard of Peter Lik until one member here went to one of the tours that has the similar shot they can make of the same photo of PL.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

This guy is first a businessman and then Photographer. Hmmmm maybe there is money to be made in Photography?

Real Name
    wm c boyer

maybe there is money to be made in Photography?
    Absolutely...if ya can survive a 50-70% failure rate/teach/write books/ 2 years salary back-up/etc...
    And...take pictures that sell.