Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D7200 !!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

D7200 !!!!!!!!

http://nikonrumors.com/

Perhaps .............................................

Real Name
    Robin

Re: D7200 !!!!!!!!

Yawn......another (likely) good quality but utterly dull Nikon.

The sensor won't be new, just another tweaked Sony castoff.
    The AF unit is the same ancient old 3500DX unit but with a few tweaks.
    A tilting screen is nice but it should be capacitance and have a UI that makes proper use of touch and multi touch - which it won't.
    Wi-Fi - meh! Thats not new and frankly should be standard these days.
    Video aperture control during Live View shouldn't be a 'thing' it should be standard for crying out loud.
    A mobile phone or a basic compact can shoot 1080 60p so singing its praise on a £1000+ DSLR is pathetic.

Nikon are losing money hand over fist because they won't innovate, look backwards and are terrified they might upset a myopic luddite who will scream at anything new they dare put on (probably not even going to buy) new camera.

Real Name
    Nick

I would probably take over the d7100, sounds like some good improvements, the only thing that would make me hesitant about buying the d7200 would be if they haven't improved the noise issue of the d7100.

Real Name
    Dan

Nikon has my money for ONE more camera body (or so I tell myself). And that is for a high end DX. Which this doesn't sound like so I'll likely pass. Nikon has made statements that they will be putting something out comparable to the 7Dmk2. I hope this isn't what they were referring to. But let's wait and see. After all it's still just rumors with no solid specs yet. Though NR does have a pretty good track record.

Real Name
    Ted

Having parted with Nikon a few years ago, the mere thought of returning and "having" to buy a good set of Nikkor lenses gives me the shudders

A bit OT, but I do wonder why the micro 4/3 format is less popular than it perhaps deserves and why more manufacturers haven't jumped on the boat - preferring instead to lock the hapless user into yet another lens mount. Just a passing comment - not intending to hijack the thread . .

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    Nikon are losing money hand over fist
    That's true if you consider net income of JPY 47 billion (USD $19 billion) in its most recent fiscal year as losing money hand over fist.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

I like the built-in wifi bit...

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    That's true if you consider net income of JPY 47 billion (USD $19 billion) in its most recent fiscal year as losing money hand over fist.
    They're making money but they are still in trouble...

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/02/07/ni...-quarter.aspx/

You have things like the D600 which was a PR disaster and although it has been handled better the D750 isn't exactly off to a roaring start....you then have the significant issue of them missing out (head in the sand ignoring almost) on the huge and getting bigger by the day mirrorless market. I have owned a Nikon in one shape or form continuously for 30 years and I do still like them but they make nothing that excites me anymore.
    The D810 is a great camera, make no bones about it, but what at the end of the day is special about it? The sensor is a Sony which they put in several bodies with the same results, the AF system is essentially the same 51 point unit thats been around since Adam was a lad, the design hasn't changed in eons...there is nothing new, truly innovative or exciting about it, and its a flagship model. The same can be said the the D4s which is really just a tweaked D3 - another ancient design. I know they work and work well but for Gods sake give us something new.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Robin,

First you said Nikon is "losing money hand over fist." Then when you were provided the facts, you changed your characterization to be that Nikon is "in trouble." Considering their industry, I don't consider net profits that are 5% of sales to be in trouble. (Canon makes about 6% of sales.)

Clearly, Nikon isn't nearly as large as Canon, but for those not familiar with Nikon's financial health, it's not as if Nikon is about to go out of business or that they are particularly in trouble in my mind. Both companies' stock price has declined considerably in the last few years.

This is my last post on the subject, as I didn't intend to have a prolonged discussion. Instead, I just wanted to quickly clear up the basic facts to ensure that the content of the thread isn't misleading.

Real Name
    Robin

Gotta love a pedant.

Real Name
    Robin

As I said Nikon are losing money (pedantry aside) as they aren't making the money they were/should be/could be.

As I also said I like the brand and I'm a long term user so I'm not criticising them for the sake of it. I have a significant investment in their lenses and bodies so I would like to think I can have a say in what I think they should/could be doing. Also bare in mind that I worked in photography sales for 24 years so I have a good idea of what sells, why it sells, what sells more than others, trends and a inside insight into the business. They are not innovating because they are stuck in the past and scared of some current users who can be very vocal whenever a new feature appears that they don't want/need. Newer brands are walking all over them and even the main completion is branching out and doing things new - Canon pretty much gave birth to the DSLR video industry with the 5D MkII and are still leaps and bounds ahead.

Nikon do make a camera I would buy if I won the Lotto. I like the Df even with its limitations which are there in a typical Nikon fashion to limit is and protect higher end body sales. I wouldn't however put a Nikon lens on the front as they don't make a good enough 50mm which is the lens I feel suits that body the most. For that I'd have a 1/4/55 OTUS or if the Lotto win wasn't quite as big a Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART.

Real Name
    Mark

Sorry Mike but Robin is bang on, Nikon maybe making a profit but they are still loosing money hand over fist by not giving users what they want. Just like Dan i have room for one new body and like lots of others i want a pro dx body with inovation contained within... Like Robin says they are offering aged tech in a new container it bullS**T.

Ill just stick with what ive got and buy a cheap secondhand D7000, (which i never should have sold) dont need the extra pixels and i can get wifi with a £30 portable mini router

Sorry Nikon but for someone who just makes cameras.... time to up your game.

Real Name
    Dan

The sensor is a Sony which they put in several bodies with the same results,
    As a Canon owner who has heard endless laments about how Canon sensors are lagging behind the Sony sensors that Nikon uses in terms of low-ISO DR, I find this amusing.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Sorry Nikon but for someone who just makes cameras.... time to up your game.
    Are you actually a Nikon owner?

http://www.nikon.com/index.htm

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    As a Canon owner who has heard endless laments about how Canon sensors are lagging behind the Sony sensors that Nikon uses in terms of low-ISO DR, I find this amusing.
    More amusing is that Canon will soon be using Sony sensors.

Real Name
    Dan

...Nikon do make a camera I would buy if I won the Lotto. I like the Df even with its limitations....
    Robin, that's rather ironic that the one body you like is the retro version. Nothing new or innovative about it. Back to old fashioned dials that you have to take the camera down from your eye to look at for adjustment.

There are a lot of us frustrated that they haven't come out with a new high end DX body. But frankly, beyond that I can't imagine what else they can do to entice me to buy another camera. I've got a D4 that will darn near shoot in the dark, and a D810 for the pixels. I suppose if they could match the D4 ISO performance in a high rez sensor I might go for it. But beyond that I just can't see it. More fps? Heck I turn the D4 down to 8fps already. I've even been thinking about buying a used D300s body. I guess that says a lot about where the technology is. It simply doesn't need to get any better.

My only real complaint now is size/weight. Indeed I would like to see Nikon come out with mirrorless of DSLR quality. I've looked at the Sony A7 line and they are awesome cameras. If you can live with 200mm as the longest decent lens they have. So a mirrorless body and continue updating lenses with the phase freznel tech and electronic aperture. Then they'll keep my attention. But as far as simply more bells and whistles on the current lineup, nah.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Yawn......another (likely) good quality but utterly dull Nikon.

The AF unit is the same ancient old 3500DX unit but with a few tweaks.
    A tilting screen is nice but it should be capacitance and have a UI that makes proper use of touch and multi touch - which it won't.
    Wi-Fi - meh! Thats not new and frankly should be standard these days.
    Video aperture control during Live View shouldn't be a 'thing' it should be standard for crying out loud.
    A mobile phone or a basic compact can shoot 1080 60p so singing its praise on a £1000+ DSLR is pathetic.

Nikon are losing money hand over fist because they won't innovate, look backwards and are terrified they might upset a myopic luddite who will scream at anything new they dare put on (probably not even going to buy) new camera.
    Ha ha ha, spoken like a true CANON owner......................

I make MY living from MY gear, you speak of innovation, touch screens, interfaces, blah blah blah, I want reliability and NikCan offer that

I have been pre booked almost every month this year now for sports events, Canon and Nikon produce good pro level, ampro level and am level cameras, what makes me laugh are people who constantly have to say why their system is better than the oppositions.

I used Nikon F and F2, moved to Canon and back to Nikon, I am happy with both but Nikon was what I started with so perhaps sentimental.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    More amusing is that Canon will soon be using Sony sensors.
    Nice one..................

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Sharpness is a bourgeois concept

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Nicks Pics View Post
    I would probably take over the d7100, sounds like some good improvements, the only thing that would make me hesitant about buying the d7200 would be if they haven't improved the noise issue of the d7100.
    Download Noiswsare

Canon aren't noise free

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast