Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Decisive Moment - Review.

Real Name
    John

The Decisive Moment - Review.

Quite a good review although it doesn't tell those of us that have the book much that we haven't already gleaned for ourselves. Also interesting is the WEB site itself. It's a blog dedicated to street photography. Some of you (Phil?) may have already come across it. I intend to have a good read through it.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2...rtier-bresson/

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: The Decisive Moment - Review.

There's masses of information on Eric's website, John - well worth bookmarking and referring back from time to time. He also regularly updates as well.

I've seen photos now or Eric's copy - so that's what a new copy of the book looks like!!!! Mine, well, not quite as pristine! I'm walking it into the store next week and making sure I'm 1st on the list for a pristine copy when they get their next stock available

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: The Decisive Moment - Review.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, John.

I have two primary impressions of Eric's piece. Almost all of it is repetition of fascinating facts explained in the book and the accompanying booklet and very little of it is actually a review, at least not what I think of as a review. He should be embarrassed about including images of the book that so often clearly display one color balance generated by a light source on the right side and a different color balance generated by a light source on the left side; it's difficult for me to take a review of a photography book seriously when the reviewer doesn't take his own photos included in the review seriously.

Having said that, I do agree with almost everything Eric mentions that critiques the book. That includes his thinking about its size, print and paper quality and all of his reasons it's such a luxury to be able to view the photos in book form rather than being limited to viewing them in an electronic version. I especially side with him that owning the book is, indeed, owning a piece of the history of photography. Where we disagree is that he likes the photos in the first half of the book more than in the second half, whereas I enjoy both sections equally well for different reasons. My only other disagreement is that I believe it's inappropriate for Eric to explain that Matisse "forgot" to include the hyphen in Cartier-Bresson's name yet doesn't cite how he (Eric) came to that opinion. That's despite that the accompanying booklet explains why the omission might have been intentional.
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 18th February 2015 at 05:31 PM.