Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

Quote Originally Posted by loulie View Post
    Hi Donald,
    I'm looking at the same combination of camera and lens. Have you tried it without telecoverters for birds in
    flight at 400mm? I'm especially interested in the AF at dawn and dusk.
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope this will be the start of a long involvement that you have with CiC.

So that you don't continue to get people asking you what your proper name is, because most us use that on here, you can go to Edit Profile (under 'Forum Actions' on the Menu Bar), or you can just press on 'Settings' on the menu bar right up at the top right of the window. Once there you can enter the name by which you wish to be addressed under 'Real Name'. Then it will appear underneath your Username in all your posts. You can also enter your location so that it does the same, just as in my details alongside this message. Then we all know where everyone is in the world.

As a for the question - Well, I'm not really a wildlife photographer, particularly not birds in flight. I'll be using this lens for both long landscape and more land-based action stuff. However, I have played with it in the garden trying to capture birds in flight. But I'm nowhere near competent enough to give an opinion. But, that being said, 400mm on a 7DMkII is giving you a full-frame equivalent of 640mm. that's serious telephote in anyone's money. Sure, you can add to it with a converter, but I'm not sure that it would be necessary.

On the question of autofocus, it is blisteringly fast and can handle very low light easily.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi everyone. I am also looking at this one but am wondering how it performs on a Canon 70D. Al the reviews I can find are on full frame camera's. Anyone tried it or has it on a 70D?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wendy

What is it in particular that you want to know about? The lens will perform as well on a 70D as it does on any other body, full-frame or crop. I am using it on a 7DMkII. It is an outstanding lens.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Wendy

What is it in particular that you want to know about? The lens will perform as well on a 70D as it does on any other body, full-frame or crop. I am using it on a 7DMkII. It is an outstanding lens.
    Tnx Donald, just that actually.

Real Name
    Marius

Hi all

My "longest zoom" is a EF 70-200 f2.8 L (non IS version), used on a 5D III. I have the EF 2X III converter as well. It is highly unlikely that I will venture into the L prime lenses because of the cost, this is a hobby for me.

Do you think I need this EF 100-400 in my bag? Or will it be another case of lens addiction?

Regards
    Last edited by Marius in Afrika; 8th March 2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: add info

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

If, Marius, you are content with the 70-200 + the 2x converter, then there is absolutely no need for you to think about the 100-400. You are quite correct when you say that some of us get carried away with lens addiction.
    Last edited by Donald; 8th March 2015 at 07:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12