Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Man with glasses

Real Name
    Ali

Man with glasses

What do you guys think about this guy?

Man with glasses

Re: Man with glasses

very nice glares! nice expression bad colored teeth! he needs to visit a dentist to polish is decaying looking teeth the three pointed wood railing jetting out frm behind him, give the illusion that he is sitting in a dragons mouth and laughing bout it tooo the back drop looks stunning i could have used that ,to shoot this guy differently and make him look like a model

Real Name
    David

Hi Sedali

Some nice colours and tones in this image. I find the background distracting and, personally, would have cropped much of it away to give a more direct, larger portrait frame. I'm not worried about the guy's dental work, that's part of his face and persona. Sorry Taken, you'd be in for a shock if you saw my pearly whites!!!

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Ian

Absolutely agree with David here, closer crop, exclude fencing and try and realign background as it is too distracting.

The rest including the teeth....fine... not a problem, we are not recommending doing film stars and airbrushing perfection here.

(Apologies if the guy is a film star I don't know!)

Real Name
    Ali

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I did not want to distract you guys from discussing the picture, but I have to tell you now. His teeth is very white actually in person, I am guessing it has something to do with the last evening Cape Cod sun. He is a dentist at Harvard Dental School! Can you go higher than that in dentistry?

Thanks for the comments. Points taken. Keep commenting please...

Here is another one:

Man with glasses

The scene was very natural before I started to shoot. The moment they realized they are being framed! they started smiling.
    Last edited by Alis; 9th October 2008 at 01:07 PM.

Real Name
    David

Hi Sedali - I'm not so sure about this new image. Technically and compositionally, I'm not keen on the wire (cable) running diagonally down left to right behind the two guys. Nor do the left and right hand sides balance up to me - one being brick/concrete and the other verticals and glass. On a more general note, I've always found difficulty photographing two people together unless they are physically quite close. There is something about any space between them that seems to destroy a composition (for me anyway). These two guys are physically aprt, not looking at the camera, not engaging with the viewer. It just doesn't work for me.

However, coming back to the "Man with Glasses", the more I look at this image, the more I like the guy. I think his personality comes through. Do try a crop and then repost because I would like to see the result.

Cheers

David

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks, David. Agreed 100%. I think I am still in the mood of taking ordinary family pictures. I need to be more creative.

Here is the cropped version of the first image:

Man with glasses

Real Name
    David

Sedali - This is much better. The image gives the guy presence. The pose is natural, yet it has the basic triangular shape that seems to work so well. The face is slightly off-centre, which is to my mind good. Clearly, if there had been a different background altogether, then there would not be any distraction. But I like it.

David