Thread: Cheat

Real Name
    António Correia

Cheat

I am not sure which title I shall give to this thread a few moments from now but something will come to the surface. I hope.
    -
    For almost two years I have been taking pictures of people from the Portuguese cultural area coming to my hometown at the invitation of someone. 21 months to be more precise.
    During this period I made about 60 portraits.
    At the end of 2014 my host decided an expo should be done in the first days of 2015. Good. That had always been in mind on both of us.
    After closing now two years of work, a new part of the project was about to begin for the coming years.

A couple of months ago we have made an experiment in a non photographic printer somewhere in town. I said the quality was not enough and I could print the images myself in my R3000 if I receive some money for the ink and paper.

Time passed and two days before the date scheduled for the expo, I was invited to go and see some test prints made in a large printer for graphic arts.

Here I felt I was under pressure and I accepted the results. That were bad prints ! Even worst that those we had made previously. If I said no, there would be no exposition whatsoever.
    And this is what I regret deeply. I regret I have accepted the last minute prints.
    The exposition is a success because he has invited 60 persons but my work has been diminished, minimized.
    I have been so dedicated, commited to get beautifully made photographs and images, but...

Oh money ? No way ! Low cost at "all costs" !

Never allow such thing to happen to you !
    See what has been exposed and a sample of a final portrait.

I put my cooperation to an end.
    New challenges / projects ahead !
    Let's move on !

Cheat Cheat

Real Name
    John

Re: Cheat

Antonio,

Happy to hear about your project, wish I could get so many volunteers for portraits; sad to hear about the printing fiasco.

Real Name
    António Correia

I will survive !... I hope

Real Name
    James Edwards

Antonio,
    I had followed your project since you started it and posted preliminary images for review and feedback from CiCs

The subjects/images you presented were astoundingly good. That your sponsor, could not comprehend the standard of excellence you wished, for presenting the exhibition prints, says volumes about your sponsor and their lack of sensitivity to your requirements as the artist.
    My condolences, but take heart, you are not responsible for the shortfall in the delivery.

If I remember my history correctly, Michaelangelo Buonarotti had similar problems with his sponsors.... you are in exalted company!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Antonio you had some great shots, if I remember correctly from the images you have posted over time. What I do not understand is how this person was able to get your print quality images to go to a commercial printer. To prepare for a show like that would be about 3 months time, by the time you lined up or did the printing, mounting and framing, then hang the show. Sounds like this was arranged and gone in haste, and on the fly by the other person. Here is where the problem comes in, the artist (you) have a vision of how you want the final print to look to the viewer the other person has the "that's good enough" as he is paying (I assume) than anything is good enough.

Cheers: Allan

Real Name
    António Correia

Thank you James and Allan for your comments.

James... do not compare me to great masters

The idea of this expo has been to show that he had invited some 60 people to our home town and that fact gives him credit to move in certain circles which are beyond the scope of a photography forum, if I make myself understand.

Let's move on ! More images must be done !

I have other projects already running. On the 13th February I will be giving a show/conference on my photography in a local Museum. Small audience but a good one !

Real Name
    Mark

Lesson learned then Antonio, yes its the tendency for everyone to want everything as cheaply. This is the reason i started to do my own printing, i just couldnt find anyone to print to the standard that i wanted.... every time i watch a print coming out of my printer i get a warm feeling of satisfaction in my belly!

I did a free outdoor shoot for some visiting children and gave them all images on a cd to take home, if they wanted prints i told them id charge them, one of the organisers wanted a print, when i told them i wanted £10 for an A5 print mounted, they refused..... Later they came back having spent £40 on ink carts for their printer and still couldnt get it to look any good. I looked at them and smiled, and said "its not just paper and ink your paying for "

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Lesson learned then Antonio, yes its the tendency for everyone to want everything as cheaply. This is the reason i started to do my own printing, i just couldnt find anyone to print to the standard that i wanted.... every time i watch a print coming out of my printer i get a warm feeling of satisfaction in my belly!...
    I also feel great when the image comes out of the printer and I like it.
    But unlike you, my satisfaction doesn't go into my belly but goes out of my pocket !

Real Name
    Dan

Sorry to hear about your disappointment, Antonio. However take heart. I suspect that most viewers focus on admiring the quality of the images without any notice of the quality of the printing. And the few that do notice the printing likely don't attribute any fault to the artist. Don't let such details dampen your enthusiasm nor stop you from enjoying this moment in the sun.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment, Antonio. However take heart. I suspect that most viewers focus on admiring the quality of the images without any notice of the quality of the printing. And the few that do notice the printing likely don't attribute any fault to the artist. Don't let such details dampen your enthusiasm nor stop you from enjoying this moment in the sun.
    Thank you Dan ! Much obliged !

I have already overcome this issue in spite of the expo being viewable these days.

Real Name
    Brian Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    Thank you James and Allan for your comments.

James... do not compare me to great masters

The idea of this expo has been to show that he had invited some 60 people to our home town and that fact gives him credit to move in certain circles which are beyond the scope of a photography forum, if I make myself understand.

Let's move on ! More images must be done !

I have other projects already running. On the 13th February I will be giving a show/conference on my photography in a local Museum. Small audience but a good one !
    If possible, you should include some of the well printed portraits in your show/conference. Those who have seen both will see the difference.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Saorsa View Post
    If possible, you should include some of the well printed portraits in your show/conference. Those who have seen both will see the difference.
    I am afraid Brian that I will not do so.
    This is a small city and the photographic circle is too small. The "confrontation" could trigger future problems.
    Better to make a quick and indirect mention - something like: be careful with your prints when you expose - and forget the incident !

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You're very wise to learn from the episode and to move forward. Very nice of you to explain the situation so you're not the only person that learns from it.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    You're very wise to learn from the episode and to move forward. Very nice of you to explain the situation so you're not the only person that learns from it.
    Thank you Mike. Usually I am not this way. I - this is one of my defects - tend to say things and be inconvenient sometimes. Bad for me. Wrong procedure !
    But as we grow old we get more lazy and less explosive !
    The best thing is to forget the incident and not talk about it except at home where we can hit the sack of potatoes to discharge !
    I decided to bring this matter here because I thought it could be of some interest to someone.
    In fact, this is life !

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
    ...But as we grow old we get more lazy and less explosive...
    I think maybe we realize that the locker is not as full of explosives as it once was and we must use our remaining ammunition carefully. And that perhaps in retrospect, we wasted some of it in the past. And perhaps blew up some innocents as well

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I think maybe we realize that the locker is not as full of explosives as it once was and we must use our remaining ammunition carefully. And that perhaps in retrospect, we wasted some of it in the past. And perhaps blew up some innocents as well
    Good and wise thought !