Thread: Studio L.C.: an old broach, colours, shapes, textures, sparkles and Shadows!

Real Name
    Brian

Studio L.C.: an old broach, colours, shapes, textures, sparkles and Shadows!

Real Name
    John

Re: Studio L.C.: an old broach, colours, shapes, textures, sparkles and Shadows!

I like this one, nice composition.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Studio L.C.: an old broach, colours, shapes, textures, sparkles and Shadows!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I like this one, nice composition.
    When Myra was last in town she came back with background materials. this is one of the cloths she brought back. Basic white that picks up colours and reflections nicely. I had a lot of fun moving things and setting different flashlights.
    B.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

The distracting background intersects with the "brooch"

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    'www.yourdictionary.com › Dictionary Definitions
    The definition of a broach is a large piece of women's jewelry. An example of a broach is a 3" pin that you wear on your winter coat.'
    A BROOCH and a BROACH are similar so similar that the user usually gets to name the object. Therefore this be a BROACH.

The background, in my understanding of the word does not intersect the Broach. The lines follow the upper flower petals. As well they draw, at least my eyes, to the top left third which is the focal point of the shot.
    B.

You have managed to get a nice bit of sparkle here, without being over exposed; so that has worked well.

Just a small item that makes me wonder a little bit about the scene. Would it work fractionally better if the shadow was behind the main object instead of in front. Assuming we are looking from the front and the shadow would then be receding from us?

And regarding the use of English, which appears in many forms around the world.

According to my dictionaries which were printed in England. A brooch is a small ornament which is attached using a pin or similar clasper. To broach is to open. For example to broach a subject of conversation; or to broach a cask/bottle, whether that is by opening the top or inserting a tap at the bottom. Boats will broach when a following sea pushes them broadside to the waves.

Why does written English have to be so complicated? And who said something like America and England are divided by a common language.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    You have managed to get a nice bit of sparkle here, without being over exposed; so that has worked well.

Just a small item that makes me wonder a little bit about the scene. Would it work fractionally better if the shadow was behind the main object instead of in front. Assuming we are looking from the front and the shadow would then be receding from us?

And regarding the use of English, which appears in many forms around the world.

According to my dictionaries which were printed in England. A brooch is a small ornament which is attached using a pin or similar clasper. To broach is to open. For example to broach a subject of conversation; or to broach a cask/bottle, whether that is by opening the top or inserting a tap at the bottom. Boats will broach when a following sea pushes them broadside to the waves.

Why does written English have to be so complicated? And who said something like America and England are divided by a common language.
    That would be, according to some reports, the ultimate Great communicator Sir W. Churchill. You indicate in your comment that you have multiple dictionaries. When we returned to the Philippines I was forced to leave my copy of the OED in Canada. If you could take the time to look up Broach in the OED I will accept it has greater authority than the online dictionary I used.

As for English being so complicated I blame it on the English passion for adopting words and that horrible man who created the first dictionary.
    Brian.

Real Name
    mark

Very nice Brian, looks like you are having fun
    Oh and nice work looks great.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
    Very nice Brian, looks like you are having fun
    Oh and nice work looks great.
    I am having fun! I may just go back and try it on a blue bg.
    B.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post
    One of the first lessons when I started in the studio was the horizonless backdrop with a large sheet of paper to curve up behind the subject
    one of my efforts from c1952 .... Sadly I have lost the quarter-plate negative it was shot on and only have this copy of copy etc but it shows the horizonless backdrop which I had roughly painted ... didn't shoot colour in those days

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    One of the first lessons when I started in the studio was the horizonless backdrop with a large sheet of paper to curve up behind the subject
    one of my efforts from c1952 .... Sadly I have lost the quarter-plate negative it was shot on and only have this copy of copy etc but it shows the horizonless backdrop which I had roughly painted ... didn't shoot colour in those days

I like it. But as much as there is no horizon there are many lines? I find neither background distracting and both seem to add character to the shot?

Real Name
    Terry

Brian, are there “gemstones” on this piece?

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Brian, are there “gemstones” on this piece?
    You must mistake me for a person of wealth. About 10 years ago SWMBO (She who must be obeyed) who is a modest lady, found herself in town with a need for a Broach (Brooch) She picked this one up for about 50 cents. But there were more nice cut glass pieces before it fell into disrepair.
    B.

Real Name
    Terry

Brian, I don’t mistake you for anything.

I added the quotes to the “gemstones” word as regarded the shot you presented.

Be they diamonds, be they cut glass, or if they are there at all (and with present lighting I can't tell) it only matters as regards the piece, the shot and how you lit it.

I was going to offer a couple of ideas.

I will not make that mistake again.

Sorry man.
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 27th January 2015 at 01:52 AM.

Real Name
    raymond

Again I am far from a pro , but the bottom of the pin were the stone is and the end of the stem are not sharp enough to my liking, but what the heck, that is my personal view.Thanks for the sharing.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    Brian, I don’t mistake you for anything.

I added the quotes to the “gemstones” word as regarded the shot you presented.

Be they diamonds, be they cut glass, or if they are there at all (and with present lighting I can't tell) it only matters as regards the piece, the shot and how you lit it.

I was going to offer a couple of ideas.

I will not make that mistake again.

Sorry man.
    Whoah, there is nothing to apologize for. On more than one occasion my particular blend of frivolity and humor misses the mark. As it did in my reply to you. Allow me to apologise for the misunderstanding and please don't stop with your hints and much needed suggestions!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    Again I am far from a pro , but the bottom of the pin were the stone is and the end of the stem are not sharp enough to my liking, but what the heck, that is my personal view.Thanks for the sharing.
    I would also like them sharper. But with my knowledge of my equipment I am at a loss for increasing the dof without lessening the detail overall.

Real Name
    J stands for John

The editor in me had a vague thought and wondered if one could 'repair' the broach by copying one of the 'gems' to fill the hole

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    The editor in me had a vague thought and wondered if one could 'repair' the broach by copying one of the 'gems' to fill the hole
    I would bet that someone with the needed skills could do just that! Maybe even put in a couple of emeralds or rubies if he or she was good with the paint options.