Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon+ Pocket wizards v's Yongnuo

Real Name
    Mark

Nikon+ Pocket wizards v's Yongnuo

Currently i have 3 x sb900 and 2 flex tt5, mini flex and ac3. I was going to treat myself to another tt5 so i had one per flash, but noticed that both Yongnuo and Neewer now offer full ttl and manual control of both nikon and their own flashes with their own triggers and controllers.

I can buy a Flash, controller & 2 triggers for about the same price as one pocket wizard ttl5.

Is it time to sell my pocket wizards and move to one of these cheap Chinese brands, all the reviews seem good, anyone on here have an opinion? (silly question of course you do)

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Nikon+ Pocket wizards v's Yongnuo

Now looking at the pixel pro system which has a pass through hot shoe longer range..... anyone have any of these, i already have pixel pro grip and battery packs for my sb900's all of which work well.

Real Name
    Yes

I have just got the YB622C for Canon and they do similar for Nikon.

The manuals are available online and you can see the capabilities.

I am impressed with mine, build quality seems ok, price even better - units to control 6 guns plus a master controller £175.

You have option of using a transciver on camera or a controller which provides extra functions if not available from camera menu system.

With these prices why go elsewhere - delivery from local based (UK) supplier took 4 days.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Both of my flashes are Yongnuos and I am happy with it. I need another one of those -- the latest one that tells me the F number too but perhaps after I come back from Oz. Just too busy filling up my luggage with all those things I like to cook while over there for now...

Real Name
    Venser

Right now, I only use PW III's. A lot of my friends who don't have the financial means I do use Yonguo's. They work 95%+ of the time as expected. When I have a client around, I don't want 95% assurance, I'm looking for 100%, which is something PW's have always delivered. So far if there has been any problems, it's always been my fault instead of the PW's.

If it wasn't for clients and I was simply shooting for myself, I'd definitely think about saving coin and picking up Yonguo's.

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for the comments Venser, im not a pro but i hate messing around, and then again i want value for my money.... BUT it depends where you read, some people say Yongnuo are 100% reliable and others say they have problems with PW's so its a case of suck it and see i suppose.

At the moment im heading toward the pixel pro King system because it has a pass through shoe and the power settings are controlable within the transmitter rather than a bolt on like the pocket wizards. I lke the idea of this because i can mix them with my PW's and skyports that i use with my elinchrom monos. Curruntly with the pocket wizards i use a pass through shoe extension cord to trigger it all. I rarely shoot TTL so it works well. Theoretically this gives me an infinite amount of groups to play with with all power control at the camera. Although at the moment i only use 6 groups.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I have the the Flex TT5s on all three of my D910s and of course the Mini TT1 sender, there will always be something new some time, but until someone brings out a set that allows strobe with the 910s I will stick to PW or hope that PW update the firmware to allow strobe on the 910s which they don't now nor do any others.

You have the same as me, the flex TT5s they are the top of the range, why change

Do you mean this one

http://flashhavoc.com/pixel-king-pro...rigger-review/
    Last edited by JR1; 25th January 2015 at 11:27 AM.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieK View Post
    Both of my flashes are Yongnuos and I am happy with it. I need another one of those -- the latest one that tells me the F number too but perhaps after I come back from Oz. Just too busy filling up my luggage with all those things I like to cook while over there for now...
    But the talk is not of "flashes" but triggers which attach to the flash and the camera

Real Name
    Mark

Yes Jeremy, i mean that one! yes i know i have top of the range BUT that doesnt mean im going to keep paying top prices if i can find a product that does the same job for less money because it means i can spend those savings on other toys.... I dont buy fashion branded clothes, so why would i buy fasion branded photo gear?

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Yes Jeremy, i mean that one! yes i know i have top of the range BUT that doesnt mean im going to keep paying top prices if i can find a product that does the same job for less money because it means i can spend those savings on other toys.... I dont buy fashion branded clothes, so why would i buy fasion branded photo gear?
    You wont like my custom Oakley iridium sunglassers then

Real Name
    Mark

LOL in my industry we call Oakley "Jokley" because only jokers buy them, Maui jim all the way! be interested on your thoughts about the pixel pros tho...

Real Name
    Mark

Jeremy what do you mean by
    but until someone brings out a set that allows strobe with the 910s
    ?

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Jeremy what do you mean by ?
    I do strobe effect shots, you know the typical bouncing ball

As of yet NO company offers the facility to use the "strobe" function via wireless just direct cable/flash connection.

Real Name
    Mark

Now you wouldnt have thought it hard to set that up would you!!!

Have you tried converting the pw mini to basic triggers by removing the ttl contacts? you can get various cables that will do it, then if it didnt work you could link the flashes via pc cable to ttl5 for simple triggering, if not dont pw do a basic trigger that talks to ttl5's, i think they do. if so just set you flashes up normally and just use in trigger mode. wouldnt that work?
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 25th January 2015 at 07:57 PM.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Quote Originally Posted by JR1 View Post

As of yet NO company offers the facility to use the "strobe" function via wireless just direct cable/flash connection.
    Can you show us some of your strobe effects shots?

Real Name
    Venser

Nikon does. You can do this with the SU-800.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Now you wouldnt have thought it hard to set that up would you!!!

Have you tried converting the pw mini to basic triggers by removing the ttl contacts? you can get various cables that will do it, then if it didnt work you could link the flashes via pc cable to ttl5 for simple triggering, if not dont pw do a basic trigger that talks to ttl5's, i think they do. if so just set you flashes up normally and just use in trigger mode. wouldnt that work?
    Believe me I think I have tried most things, I have spoken with the techs at PW and they say that they hope to bring out a firmware upgrade some time this year that will allow it.

None do to date

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Venser View Post
    Nikon does. You can do this with the SU-800.
    I have looked this up but see no reference to the proper use of "strobe" as in stroboscope, as in 1 to 50 flashes per second from a gun, where as the Americans call flashguns strobes !

Real Name
    Venser

I have looked this up but see no reference to the proper use of "strobe" as in stroboscope, as in 1 to 50 flashes per second from a gun, where as the Americans call flashguns strobes !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AewxdPOB3c

Real Name
    John

I use YN-560 II'S (x3) triggered and controlled by a YN-560TX mounted on the hot shoe. I have had 100% flash rate, no problems what so ever, and all for less than a new Nikon flash.

I love these flashes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast