Thread: Nikon D7100 reviews

Real Name
    raymond

Nikon D7100 reviews

I am considering purchasing a Nikon D7100 with lenses 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 ,55-300 mm and 50 mm f/1.8. I presently use an Olympus 4/3 E-620. I would appreciate any feedback on the pros/cons of this camera and the ease of menu for settings. I use it only for pictures no video , subjects are mainly nature, macro and candid portraits.I have also looked at many reviews comparing it to the Canon70D , but there is nothing better than those with hands on experience. Any help would be appreciated . Thank you.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Nikon D7100 reviews

The D7100 is a higher end crop frame camera. It is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth and has been replaced by the D7200.

Both the 18-55mm and the 55-300mm are "kit" lenses, really aimed at the lower end entry level cameras. Optically they are okay, but mechanically, they are weak, with their plastic lens mounts (I own a 18-55mm and the older 55-200mm). I would question why your would buy the f/1.8 50mm; not the most useful focal length on a crop frame (it is a full-frame lens, and for my shooting style makes a lot more sense with FF), and you already have that focal length covered with the 55-300mm; I would instead suggest you might want to look at the f/1.8 35mm, which is more a "normal" lens for a crop frame, but would definitely suggest putting off any purchase until you figure out if you really need it or not.

The real question I would have is why do you want to go to a DSLR rather than another Olympus or Panasonic mFT camera. The lenses you have would work on the new body and you could save yourself a bit of money by not having to re-invest in new glass.

Just as an aside, I have mFT, crop frame and FF cameras, so I'm quite familiar with all three formats.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    The D7100 is a higher end crop frame camera. It is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth and has been replaced by the D7200.
    Boy, take a nap and the world changes underneath you...

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

I haven't seen anything to say the D7200 has actully been released yet.

Dave

Real Name
    Paolo

has been replaced by the D7200.
    Slight correction: It will be replaced by the D7200. Nikonrumors.com says release of the D7200 will be at the CP+ show this February. It will hit stores perhaps weeks or months after that but the price should start dropping on the 7100 soon after the 7200 is announced.

In any case, I have the D7000 and would agree with Manfred, the 50mm is a little tight. I rented the 50 1.4 but if I owned any 50 with my camera I'd use it predominantly for portraits. I own the 35mm and I enjoy it thoroughly indoors and out though it doesn't get as much mileage as my 18-105 + flash in indoor settings. I'd also recommend you consider the 70-300 4.5 VR instead of the 55-300 if you're looking to photograph moving objects. The autofocus is faster. The preceding of course is all "in my humble opinion".

Real Name
    Dan

The D7100 is a higher end crop frame camera. It is definitely getting a bit long in the tooth and has been replaced by the D7200...
    Manfred, you jumped the gun a little bit. The 7200 is rumored buy hasn't yet been announced.

Quote Originally Posted by selig1656 View Post
    ...I would appreciate any feedback on the pros/cons of this camera and the ease of menu for settings. I use it only for pictures no video...
    I shoot a 7100 so the following based on my own experience with that body.

The 7100 is currently the best performing APS-C format DSLR that Nikon has out. The menus are easy enough to use once you get used to Nikon. I've heard others criticize the menu system but I've shot Nikon for years so don't have a different frame of reference. Plus on this body once you have options set up you rarely have to go into the menu system anyway. Not at all to set exposure including adjusting ISO. There are enough external buttons to deal with everything needed during shooting.
    , subjects are mainly nature, macro and candid portraits....
    For those subjects it is a fine little camera. It produces pretty much noise free images (assuming proper exposure) up to ISO 800, easily correctible noise up to 1600, and usable work up to 3200. Beyond that is starts getting dicey. Likely not an issue for you unless you take up wildlife and/or sports shooting.

I shoot mainly wildlife. My main beef with the 7100 is that the buffer capacity is only 6 frames when shooting max quality RAW format. Not an issue if you shoot jpeg and if you don't shoot multi-second bursts at the maximum 6fps frame rate.

Manfred brings up some good points about lenses. The 55-300mm isn't a bad choice. Rather than the 18-55 and 50mm prime to might want to consider going with the 16-85mm and skip the prime. If you're looking at a package deal and that's what's in it, then it is mute. One thing about the 7100 is that it is capable of producing sharper images than anything else on he market right now. So regardless of what lenses you choose, they will definitely be the limiting factor as to the quality of images you can produce.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Manfred, you jumped the gun a little bit. The 7200 is rumored buy hasn't yet been announced.

Oops; sorry. I'm getting my actuals and rumours mixed up.

I stand corrected...

Real Name
    Dan

...I'm getting my actuals and rumours mixed up...
    If that's all you get mixed up you're doing way better than me

Real Name
    raymond

Thank you and as far as the Olympus I felt that the reviews on the OM-D series were not overly convincing.I will re-evaluate the options with Zuiko lenses. I have the 14 mm-42 mm f/4-5.6 and the 40 mm-150 mm f/ 3.5-5.6 and with doing enlargements the 4/3 format is great.Thank you Grumpy Diver.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Thank you and as far as the Olympus I felt that the reviews on the OM-D series were not overly convincing.I will re-evaluate the options with Zuiko lenses. I have the 14 mm-42 mm f/4-5.6 and the 40 mm-150 mm f/ 3.5-5.6 and with doing enlargements the 4/3 format is great.Thank you Grumpy Diver.
    The nice thing is that your Zuiko lenses will work just fine on the Panasonic mFT bodies, albeit, the in-camera stabilization will be minimal (I have it on the GX7, but it is not as good as the Olympus, as Panny uses in-lens stabilization) or non-exisitant. Both the GX7 and GH4 have gotten excellent reviews.

Real Name
    raymond

Thank you and before I pull the trigger I will wiegh out all my options and consider my main objective.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I spent about two months late last year shooting nothing other than a mFT camera, Panasonic GX7, on a trip through South Asia (Bhutan, India and Nepal). About 90% of my shots were done with a 14-140mm lens. As they say, its mostly the photographer, not the camera.

Bhutan: https://www.flickr.com/photos/524694...7647136419094/

India: https://www.flickr.com/photos/524694...7647272942874/

Nepal: https://www.flickr.com/photos/524694...7649191591269/

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

I am considering purchasing a Nikon D7100 with lenses 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 ,55-300 mm and 50 mm f/1.8. I presently use an Olympus 4/3 E-620. I would appreciate any feedback on the pros/cons of this camera and the ease of menu for settings. I use it only for pictures no video , subjects are mainly nature, macro and candid portraits.I have also looked at many reviews comparing it to the Canon70D , but there is nothing better than those with hands on experience. Any help would be appreciated . Thank you.
    Not sure about the performance of D7100 but what I can suggest is

18-55: Underestimated lens which is capable of producing amazing photos but only in good conditions. Zoom range is very less which frustrates you after a while.

55-300: Do not go for 55-300, get a 55-200 instead because 55-300 is quiet slow in focusing on D5200 atleast (Many might contradict to this saying focusing system of D5200 is not as good as D7100).

50mm 1.8: No doubt an amazing lens but get it only if you feel you are not able to capture what you want with 18-105

My best pick: 18-105 (Covers a good range) and 70-300 (much faster than 55-200 & 55-300). You get 70-105 range in both lenses