Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sleepy Pups

Real Name
    Richard

Sleepy Pups

I shot these two Maltipoo pups at a local pet supply store where we were holding a rescue event. The two boys are part of a 21 dog confiscation by the San Diego Animal Control from a hoarder who was keeping the dogs in very poor conditions. Our rescue group took 4 of the dogs while other local rescues stepped up to the plate and took the other 17. All 21-dogs are doing well.

Sleepy Pups

Sleepy Pups

The pups were so sleepy that it was hard to wake them for the photos. We placed them on our Facebook page yesterday and they have already been spoken for. Although they are only 6-weeks old and we will keep them until they are old enough to be neutered, they already have families waiting in the wings to give them furever homes...

The other two dogs we rescued are young adult females and need some minor vet work and socialization before they are ready for adoption. The girls are fosters in our home and I am quite happy with how well they are adjusting to their new environment.

We are also fostering a NINE and a HALF YEAR OLD, Maltese who is PREGNANT! We received her Saturday and I am leaving for a vet check-up this morning. My wife hears (with her stethoscope - she is a retired RN) three uppy heartbeats...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 19th January 2015 at 05:28 PM.

Real Name
    John

Re: Sleepy Pups

Very nice. Couldn't even keep them interested with some food smells?

Real Name
    Dan

Cute little buggers for sure. Probably so sleepy because they aren't used to having full bellies.

What age is considered old enough for neutering?

I understand the reason for keeping the pups until they are neutered. Have you considered that may be a deterent for many people who would provide perhaps the best possible environments for furever homes? Do you offer any alternatives such as perhaps taking a deposit in excess of the typical value of that breed pup to be returned upon proof that the dog has been spayed/neutered?

Just a thought.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Cute little ones this time around. I am glad they are already spoken for. I hope they all get adopted quickly.

Real Name
    Richard

Occasionally, we will accept a deposit in lieu of neutering/spay which we return when proof of the spay/neutering is forwarded to us.

Age for neutering/spay is dependent on the size of the puppy. If the pup is big enough it can be neutered at 8-weeks old. The girls wait until they are a bit older since the spay is a more intrusive surgery. However, our vet is so good that 99% of the time the young pups seem to feel no residual pain. Of course we have pain meds for them.

Older dogs, especially females take a bit longer to recover. However, we don't want any mistakes like the previous owner of Peaches made. She is nine and a half years old and pregnant with four puppies. We will have the pups delivered by C-section. This is my entry image to get a baseline of how she looked upon arrival. I usually don't worry much about the quality of entry imagery.

Sleepy Pups
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 20th January 2015 at 02:54 AM.

Real Name
    Travis

Nice richard, as usual.

Chesterfield, Missouri/Melbourne, Australia
    Real Name
    Izzie

Richard, there is another video from Hope for Paws that my friend sent me last night on the rescue of a dog they named "Toto". The groomer ended up cutting the hair close to the body of this cute doggie apart from the ones in the head. He actually turned up to be very playful and happier with other dogs.