Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows XP is still supported . .

Real Name
    Janis

Re: Windows XP is still supported . .

Woe is me. I discovered that the Mac store had installed the latest version of BootCamp, which is not compatible with XP, so rather than try to roll back and incur who knows what grief in the process, I downloaded and installed the $80 XP-compatible Parallels 10, only to have my product key rejected when I tried to install XP. I had an OEM license from an old Dell and I guess I used it up when I installed XP on this computer the first time. Doh! Chatted with Microsoft and got the "sorry, we no longer support" line, despite reading that some people have been able to get a new key from them for as little as $10. I would install Windows 7 but the software I am wanting to use (accounting and expensive design software are not compatible). Grrrr.

Real Name
    Grahame

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    I would install Windows 7 but the software I am wanting to use (accounting and expensive design software are not compatible). Grrrr.
    Janis, you seem to be having similar computer frustrations that have bugged me for the past two months, they waste so much time and energy !

For info, (although partially mentioned in my previous thread) this may be useful info for you..................

Windows 7 'Professional' (and some other versions of it that are mentioned on Windows 7 Microsoft site) has a mode called 'Windows XP mode' that allows you to run XP within a 'Virtual PC mode'.

As I'm not a computer nerd, here's what I had to do to run my new Win 7 and XP......

a) Install Windows 7
    b) Download from Microsoft Win 7 site the following and install;
    1. Window XP Mode (a fully licensed XP latest version)
    2. Windows Virtual PC

This places a programme in the Win 7 start menu that will open Win XP. You can load into XP any software that is not compatible with Win 7 but was with Win XP.

It is a free option from Microsoft.

Grahame

Real Name
    Grahame

I would install Windows 7 but the software I am wanting to use (accounting and expensive design software are not compatible). Grrrr.
    Janis, you seem to be having similar computer frustrations that have bugged me for the past two months, they waste so much time and energy !

For info, (although partially mentioned in my previous thread) this may be useful info for you..................

Windows 7 'Professional' (and some other versions of it that are mentioned on Windows 7 Microsoft site) has a mode called 'Windows XP mode' that allows you to run XP within a 'Virtual PC mode'.

As I'm not a computer nerd, here's what I had to do to run my new Win 7 and XP......

a) Install Windows 7
    b) Download from Microsoft Win 7 site the following and install;
    1. Window XP Mode (a fully licensed XP latest version)
    2. Windows Virtual PC

This places a programme in the Win 7 start menu that will open Win XP. You can load into XP any software that is not compatible with Win 7 but was with Win XP.

It is a free option from Microsoft.

Grahame

Real Name
    Janis

Oh, thank you, Grahame! I misunderstood; I didn't realize that XP Mode was the OS itself. Awesome!

Real Name
    Grahame

Oh, thank you, Grahame! I misunderstood; I didn't realize that XP Mode was the OS itself. Awesome!
    Janis, Windows 7 is the 'Main' OS and a fully working Windows XP OS works within Windows 7.

To simplify.............. (still no smileys at this end of the world)

Windows XP is still supported . .

You can see Win 7 in the background and I have opened Win XP and running my plotting programme in XP which was not compatible with Win 7 and would have cost a fortune to replace as well as my Autocad drawing programme.

If you consider going this route, I had problems installing it but with help from the web solved my bug.

Grahame

Real Name
    Janis

No worries, Grahame; I understood. Thanks again for the tip.

Real Name
    Grahame

You are welcome Janis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12