Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Telephone Box, Islay

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Telephone Box, Islay

Unfortunately, it's not 24-hour per day sunshine in the western isles of Scotland.

Telephone Box, Islay
    40D. Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 11mm. ISO 100. 1/80 @ f5.6. Manual. Spot.

C & C welcome

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Telephone Box, Islay

A telephone. You won't see one of those around here, BT used to have three within half a mile. It is an interesting picture, did you use a red filter because I can imagine the box is red.

I don't fancy walking there in the dark.

Real Name
    Myra

Love it! Straight from Dr. Who. On my screen, I can see a figure-like shadow against the back wall of the booth that just adds to the mystery. Donald, did you shop out the telephone/power lines or did they just end?

Myra

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve
    did you use a red filter because I can imagine the box is red
    I do my conversions with Raw Therapee. Still don't properly understand how all the sliders on the RT Channel Mixer interact with each other, but just keep fiddling with them until I end up with something that I think is what I had in my head and 'saw' when I pushed the button. There's definitely science involved in there somewhere, but since I operate more at the emotional, touchy/feely end of the scale, my interest in understanding things scientific is woefully lacking.

Myra
    Love it! Straight from Dr. Who. On my screen, I can see a figure-like shadow against the back wall of the booth that just adds to the mystery. Donald, did you shop out the telephone/power lines or did they just end?
    Have to confess that the shadowy figure on the booth was not part of the image design as I stood there in the freezing cold! And yes, you've found me out ... The telephone wire did come from that nearest pole right across the top of the telephone box. But since more and more of these cables are now being put underground, I thought I could claim that I wasn't being totally untruthful!
    Last edited by Donald; 3rd May 2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: correct typos

And I bet it is vandalised inside and smells of pee

Once again you have captured the atmosphere beautifully. It reminds me a lot of Simon Denison's work in a portfolio book I have called Quarry Land, Impermanent Landscapes of the Clee Hills ( a signed copy. My Mother-in-Law used to own the New Rd Post Office in Ludlow)

http://www.simondenison.co.uk/8.html

In my opinion your work is better executed. White out skies in BW compositions are difficult to pull off but you have nailed it here

Steve

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

And I bet it is vandalised inside and smells of pee
    Nah. The yoof (children and young people) on Islay are quiet and peaceful

It reminds me a lot of Simon Denison's work ..
    Now, that is nice stuff. Thanks for the link