Thread: What a difference batteries make

Real Name
    Richard

What a difference batteries make

I have been using rechargeable Sanyo Eneloop batteries in my Canon hotshoe flash units for several years now.

Today, I forgot to recharge the Eneloops and used a set of fresh AA Energizer batteries. The recharge time with my Canon 320EX flash was far slower than I am used to. I missed several shots of rescue dogs and puppies because of those slow recharge times.

You have to be ready to grab shots when shooting dogs or puppies...

Real Name
    Mark

Re: What a difference batteries make

WE use these at work now, ive just had to order another 200 AAA and couldnt find many Sanyo only Panasonic... it would appear that sanyo have been bought out or sold that part of their business. the panasonic versions are improved and have more recharge cycles, so if your buying be carful to read the spec and make sure you get the newer version unless the older version ones are significantly cheaper.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    WE use these at work now, ive just had to order another 200 AAA and couldnt find many Sanyo only Panasonic... it would appear that sanyo have been bought out or sold that part of their business. the panasonic versions are improved and have more recharge cycles, so if your buying be carful to read the spec and make sure you get the newer version unless the older version ones are significantly cheaper.
    Panasonic has taken over Sanyo.

Richard,
    You can't compare an Eneloop with an alkaline battery, which I think your Energizer is.
    Eneloop is a NiMh battery like most rechargeable batteries but with a special construction. Thanks to that a low self discharge, a LSD-battery.
    What I remember was that the load-time of a flash was a bit longer with Eneloop than with conventional NiMh-batteries. Maybe that has changed. To my thoughts they are perfect batteries for TV-controllers and that kind of stuff. And for sale. They keep their load for a long time and are ready to use.

George

Real Name
    Mark

This is a good article on batteries and certainly reflects my experience with these and alkaline batteries for photography.

http://www.lightandmatter.org/2014/t...-buy-eneloops/

You can't compare an Eneloop with an alkaline battery, which I think your Energizer is.
    Actually geaorge you can compare the 2 types of battery, they might not give similar results but you can compare them !

What I remember was that the load-time of a flash was a bit longer with Eneloop than with conventional NiMh-batteries. Maybe that has changed.
    Not my experience George, eneloop recharge the flash consistantly faster than alkaline batteries (duracell)

To my thoughts they are perfect batteries for TV-controllers and that kind of stuff. And for sale. They keep their load for a long time and are ready to use.
    This is another distinct advantage of Eneloop. I gave away all of my old rechargeable because id charge them after use and when i needed the even a week or 2 later theyd have discharged themselves, with eneloop i have no problems even 6 months after charging.

Eneloop are worth every penny that the cost. period!

I guess you could call me a fan!

Real Name
    Dan

I have both Eneloops and non-LSD NiMH batteries. The latter don't hold their charge as long but are considerably more powerful. My Eneloops are 2000 mAh. My non-LSDs are Powerex, 2700 mAh, and Ansemann, 2850mAh. I bought the Ansemann batteries in response to the recommendation of a macro photographer when I wrote that I was unable to get flash burst fast enough for handheld macro shots where I was attempting to stack, but I don't think I ever did a careful comparison.

Real Name
    Robert (ah prefer Boab) Smith

Ah use Sanyo eneloop (2000mAh), eneloop pro (2450mAh) but ah think the best are 7dayshop's own brand (2900mAh) long life and powerful - £9 for an 8 pack in the UK. They sell internationally as well.

Real Name
    George

This is a good article on batteries and certainly reflects my experience with these and alkaline batteries for photography.

http://www.lightandmatter.org/2014/t...-buy-eneloops/

Actually geaorge you can compare the 2 types of battery, they might not give similar results but you can compare them !

Not my experience George, eneloop recharge the flash consistantly faster than alkaline batteries (duracell)

This is another distinct advantage of Eneloop. I gave away all of my old rechargeable because id charge them after use and when i needed the even a week or 2 later theyd have discharged themselves, with eneloop i have no problems even 6 months after charging.

Eneloop are worth every penny that the cost. period!

I guess you could call me a fan!

Roughly that link says the same as I say. There is only no comparison between LSD and conventional NiMh-battaries.
    In Dutch there is a saying: you can't compare apples with pears. Same with batteries.

See the bold text.
    What I remember was that the load-time of a flash was a bit longer with Eneloop than with conventional NiMh-batteries. Maybe that has changed.
    I'm not saying Eneloop are bad batteries, they are wonderful batteries. Only surrounded with a myth.

George

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

couldnt find many Sanyo only Panasonic... it would appear that sanyo have been bought out or sold that part of their business. .
    Panasonic has owned Sanyo for years. No great secret; it looks like they've finally decided to drop the Sanyo name.

Another battery brand, that I believe performs better than Eneloop (recommended to me over the Eneloop battieries by a commercial photographer) are the PowerEx line of rechargable batteries, from Maha. These are only available through commercial battery dealers, not your electronics retailers. These are 2700 mAH, versus versus the 1900 mAH for the standard Eneloop and 2450 for the Eneloop Pro line; all for the AA size. The higher the mAH rating, the longer they last and the faster the recycle time.

http://www.mahaenergy.com/batteries/

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Panasonic has owned Sanyo for years. No great secret; it looks like they've finally decided to drop the Sanyo name.

Another battery brand, that I believe performs better than Eneloop (recommended to me over the Eneloop battieries by a commercial photographer) are the PowerEx line of rechargable batteries, from Maha. These are only available through commercial battery dealers, not your electronics retailers. These are 2700 mAH, versus versus the 1900 mAH for the standard Eneloop and 2450 for the Eneloop Pro line; all for the AA size. The higher the mAH rating, the longer they last and the faster the recycle time.

Those Powerex batteries are also conventional NiMh batteries. There LSD serie is named Emedion. It's the same story.
    George

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post

Powerex is one of the brands I noted above. You needn't go to batter dealers for them. They are available from B&H, whichi s where I bought mine. However, I don't think they are LSD. Someone who knows more can correct me if I am wrong.

I don't find LSD to be essential. When I expect to need flash, I charge two sets of high-capacity batteries.

Real Name
    Dan

Those Powerex batteries are also conventional NiMh batteries. There LSD serie is named Emedion. It's the same story.
    Yes. In the US, they are labeled 'Imedion' and are also available from B&H. Slightly lower capacity than their non-LSD batteries (2400 vs. 2700 mAh).

The article Mark linked recommends only LSD but seems to base this only on convenience. I vaguely recall reading that for batteries of comparable capacity, LSD will recycle more slowly than non-LSD. Anyone know if that is actually true? I don't.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Dan - I think work flow comes into play here. I always recharge mine the night before I plan a shoot, so LSD is no real advantage to me, and in fact their lower power density and longer recycle times are a negative.

So, if you are the spontaneous type that wants fully charged batteries lying around just in case you get the urge to shoot, then the Eneloops have that advantage. The PowerEx lose about 1% of their charge per day, so even if they sit around for a week or 10 days, they still have more charge than the Eneloops. On the other hand, if I expect to get a shoot out of them if they are lying around for a month or more, then I'm in trouble. But that has never happened to me, and if it does, I have a rapid charger and the batteries are back in good shape by the time I've packed the rest of my gear together.

Like anything else in life, one has to understand the tradeoffs in the choices we make.

As for the longer recycle / charge time on LSD batteries, this is correct. They use a construction that reduces ion migration, which is how they hold their charge for so long. The tradeoff is that this means they can't deliver power as quickly or recharge as quickly as the very same mechanism that gives them the long shelf life also means the ion flow is restricted under normal operating conditions.

Real Name
    Dan

Manfred,

Thanks for the information.

My workflow is like yours. I expect to need a flash later today, so I recharged batteries this morning. My Eneloops have been migrating into appliances where slow discharge rates are a big help.

Dan

Real Name
    Mark

Planning is for normal peeps... grab and go for me!

Real Name
    Richard

I will normally charge any battery I use after a shoot. Occasionally, I get lax and forget. That is why I grabbed a set of Energizer Alkaline batteries. No more forgetting for me!

Real Name
    Dan

With non-LSD rechargeables, it's best to charge before a shoot, not after, unless your next use will be so, since the charge will dissipate.

Real Name
    George

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    With non-LSD rechargeables, it's best to charge before a shoot, not after, unless your next use will be so, since the charge will dissipate.
    It's allways better to charge before a shoot. It'd the only way to be shure.
    George