Thread: camera purchase advice

Real Name
    Steve

camera purchase advice

Hello, I am new to forum. I have owned a Canon xsi for may years but until dec 1 2014 the mode dial was on the guy running or the mountain ect, you get my drift. So dec 1, hip surgery, I can't surf or play with kids so I decided to learn everything thing I could about photography and my camera. Something I always wanted to do but never had the time.
    This evolved into an obsession and I have spent the past month and a half shooting 50 to a 500 images most days, in Manual most of the time, all RAW, and learning lightroom. In this time I have made some serious rookie mistakes, damaged my sensor and dropped camera once are the worst ones, as well as 500 other minor less destructive mistakes. I am feeling these rookie mistakes are not done yet.
    So a new camera for a beginner that is very serious about learning everything and shooting almost every day.??? I do own 3 kit lens' from the xsi so Its prob wise with a limited budget to stay Canon. I was really hot on going big and purchasing the 7d mark II as that AF system and 10fps looked perfect for Surfing. Ok, I just damaged a sensor (don't ask) and dropped a camera, thinking Im prob not ready to be at the helm of a 7d. So, the Canon T5i looks perfect. Image quality is important and I'm really digging motion blur and panning (my daughters a runner) as well as surf photography and wildlife (Santa gonna get me some big glass). I also like landscapes and low light city and building shots and some family portraits. My plan is to buy this t5i, use it while I get all my rookie mistakes out of the way, than in a year or 2 move up to a better camera. T5i has a better AF system than what I have now (not close to that dang 7d I really want but at $2k it will mean my kids are gonna eat PB n J's ) 18 mp; I want to at least be able to frame some of my work like 8x10 or slightly bigger), and the 5fps sounds reasonable for my surf photography as well as motion and wildlife(???). Will this camera be enough for me and do I have the CIC blessing to pull the trigger and get this camera??? Or should I go big and get the 7d and go straight to a divorce attorney? Not literally, I could pull it off but it seems an unreasonable amount of money for where Im at with photography even though I am so excited about it. Advice is welcome.
    Thanks for your time
    Steve

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Re: camera purchase advice

Steve...you're all over the place with that post. Hip replacements, in today's world, are not a life changer
    in the long run. Why all the camera damages? Your short on funds but, you're talking long glass?

A newbie doesn't need a top-of the-line camera unless you're sure/positive that this isn't a passing fancy.
    That T5i will serve you well while you learn to use it and, maybe accumulate long glass...then upgrade.

Real Name
    Dan

Hi, Steve. Sounds like in addition to the other health issues you've been bitten rather severely by the photography bug. Regarding the damaged gear, over the course of time I've also had various "accidents" that required upgrading equipment

If you are really serious, and it sounds like you are, you might want to consider getting a higher end used camera. Like a 7D but not the new MkII. That accomplishes a couple of things. 1) You won't be "equipment limited" for quite some time as you grow and learn 2) If you do drop it in the surf you won't be out as much as a brand new one.

I'm not a Canon shooter so only throw out the used 7D as an example because that's one of the only Canon models that I know anything about. Other CIC members who shoot Canon (yes even in this august company there are those misguided souls) may be able to advise you on other "full featured" bodies that could be had for less investment.

Good luck. With both the physical recovery and the new photography affliction.

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Your post was rather hard to read to be honest, too much and too little info, my old old boss, (I was years in the Civil Service), used to say in 1000 words what could have been said in 50.

You have decided to learn EVERYTHING about photography, good luck

I have the gear I have because (a) I need it and (b) I can afford it, but there is NOTHING I have that does not get used.

Can I assume that you want a camera for sports photography.

My advice personally would be to join a camera club first before you decide and than make a list of what you want to do with your photography before spending a fortune.

Real Name
    Richard

My advice to most camera purchasers is to seriously consider a refurbished camera.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Steve,

A couple of comments. The t5i is a good camera. I have the t3i, a couple of generations earlier, and it's still a better camera than I am a photographer (of course, that may not be saying much )

If you are a surfer, I expect you'll be able to anticipate and see the action. Why not practice aiming to nail the shot in one, instead of relying on a spray gun burst?

It's mega pixels will print way bigger than 8x10, always assuming you have shot properly.

Strange coincidence - I'm a UK resident, but was shooting birds on Merritt island just last week!

Dave

Real Name
    Geri

Did you mention capturing images of surfers ... or surf ... or something? If so, check out what can be captured using a GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Surf Images

::

Real Name
    John

It's just as painful to drop/break an entry level camera as it is an expensive one, replacement pain is another thing altogether.

Real Name
    Steve

Ok, didn't ask for a grammar class. I have had a ton of time on my hands the pas month with my recovery so I have been learning "everything I can" about this. Sorry to be all over the place. I was trying to explain my situation to give an understanding of where Im at. I am a beginner but have spent a ton of time trying to learn. Never mind. This forum is not for me. Thanks

Real Name
    Steve

Oh and btw, a go pro I do have and has absolutely nothing to do with shooting surf and surfing from the beach. Its great in the water up close and has no reach. I have one and use it all the time. Not anything to do with the questions I asked.

I shoot Surf( that s waves without surfers on them, waves hitting jetty, waves slamming the shore, WAVES)) and I shoot surfing ( waves with surfers riding them). two different things.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

This forum is not for me.
    Be careful of the back door!

Real Name
    Geri

Steve, hope your recovery from hip surgery is speedy. Sorry you feel this forum is not for you

Before you go, kindly post links to your images. I'd very much like to follow your progress and I'd like to know what camera and lenses you decide to buy.

How to Afford Anything

Real Name
    Brian Grant

OK, Slack. I came in late so you may not be here anymore but ....

If you are shooting 50 to 500 shots per day you aren't giving yourself time to think and learn.

If you are a surfer then by now you should have a feel for the rythm of the surf and the flow or riding a wave. I'm not a surfer, I'm a sailor and the feel of the ocean and the action of a boat on it is important to me.

You should first try to learn the mechanics of taking a picture (art comes later) just like standing up on a moving board or being functional on a heeled boat in heavy waves.

You have to give us something to work with. Instead of going out and taking a lot of pictures hoping to find a good one, try going out and taking a good picture right from the start. Take 10 images in the morning. East coast, that morning light backlighting water can be great. I don't get surf over here on Charlotte Harbor but I get some good morning light over water. I'm sure you can find the same at Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge.

camera purchase advice

To get moving water, I have to get out on a boat. Here is one from a sunrise where I specifically wanted to capture the reflection of the dawn on the waves.

camera purchase advice

Shooting from midships, it took me one shot to decide that the foreground was colorful but dull. Moving aft a bit brought the wake into the image adding a foreground interest that led your eye out to the band of color and the rays of the dawn or gave your eye a destination to follow away from the sun.

The idea isn't that this is a fantastic image but that taking one shot and thinking is how you learn.

BTW, the first shot was taken while I was waiting for the ospreys to wake up and start fishing. The second wasn't even take with a DSLR. It was the Nikon Coolpix P7100 that I walk around with.

The camera isn't as important as the vision.

If you want long lenses, look at some of the consumer superzooms.

Real Name
    Mrinmoy

Reading your post seems you are interested in all kinds of photography, rather general photography and nothing specific. Also you don't seem to handle your camera like your kid. Its better to stick to a average camera atleast for next couple of years untill you develop interest for some specific kind of photography like sports or wildlife or portraits. Its OR everywhere and not AND. If you want AND then your pockets need to be deep on lenses. Any above average camera will serve your purpose for all three unless you want to be professional.

Always remember glass makes the difference not the camera.

Real Name
    Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Slack View Post
    Ok, didn't ask for a grammar class. I have had a ton of time on my hands the pas month with my recovery so I have been learning "everything I can" about this. Sorry to be all over the place. I was trying to explain my situation to give an understanding of where Im at. I am a beginner but have spent a ton of time trying to learn. Never mind. This forum is not for me. Thanks
    I'm sure you being in a painful recovery has made everything a little upsetting; but the folks here really are great in assisting & recommending ideas for others.

As far as getting new equipment, and learning "everything" about photography; you can learn with just about any camera. Many years ago I had the top of the line SLR equipment. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I had to sell everything. Now, I was ready to get a DSLR, and also wanted what everyone was raving about. Instead, I purchased a pre-owned Pentax K10D, and loved it so much, and having so much fun using it; I bought a second K10D for reserve! I have no desire to get anything more expensive, as it will take years for me to realize the full potential of this camera. Even though it's only 10MP, the images from it amaze me.

The point I'm trying to make, is go slowly in purchasing equipment, thinking the better it is, the better you will be. Not so, experience with a camera makes one better.

I do hope you have a full recovery, and can once again enjoy photography!

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

Quote Originally Posted by Slack View Post
    Perhaps, but if a post asking questions is not clear then it is almost impossible to answer.

Hey Steve, don't give up on the forum so fast.
    Lots of good advice and I've found the tutorials here to be really good as well.
    Like you, my camera was, well, my screen name kinda says it all.
    Since I've got a ton of time on my hands too, but for other reasons, I've gotten into photography too.
    Everyone here is helpful if you give them the chance to be.
    As for a camera for you, I'd recommend looking on Craigslist for a used high end one that someone wants to upgrade from. Pretty good bang for the buck if you can find a nice one you'd like.
    Good luck, and I hope to see some of your pics posted here in the future.

Real Name
    Geri

Bummer. I kinda liked Slack/Steve's approach and energy ... hope he visits us again soon